Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,783,864 times

Advertisements

Ticks are really bad around here this year, as they are everywhere I think! I read some of the threads here about tick products but didn't really get the answer I am looking for, so thought I would ask my own question.

We have a medium size dog (also two cats, but they are indoor only), 40 pounds Scottish Terrier/ lab mix. He's on Sentinel and also wear a tick collar, which normally prevents ticks just fine. However, this year they are so bad, even with a new tick collar, put on two weeks ago and never wet, he has two ticks very close to his anus. There may be more, because his coat is thick and it would be easy to miss a tick.

I cannot pull them out (will admit I am not very good at this, but can do in easier spots- dog keeps trying to turn to face me and/or sit down to prevent me looking/ touching his behind). Reading online, it seems the rubbing alcohol/ vaseline thing doesn't actually work, so any OTC ointments I can get to get the ticks to pull out/ die? I'd rather avoid the drop-on-the-neck treatments, as I had a bad experience with that with an indoor-outdoor cat a few years ago, but if it is the only way I will use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,392,165 times
Use a tweezer and grasp them and pull them out, anything topical will only make the tick discharge his "venom" and make things worse. They also make special tick remover tweezers, but I prefer the regular ones.

Be sure to check the tick and make sure you have the whole tick...head included.

If you can't do it get your dog to the vet asap and have them do it.

I use Frontline spray every 3 weeks and that works very well for me and I live in a tick infested area. With the spray instead of the drops or collar I can get his under carriage and whole body.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,921,781 times
the only think ive found even remotly works for ticks is a combination of 1: diet change, dogs fed corn seme to attract more ticks...(same goes for people...i find ticks are MUCH more attracted to ME than my dogs and the only realy differnece is my dogs get NO corn...at all!)
2: k9 advantix...(which you CANNOT use on the cat!)

the preventic collar are supposed to be REALY REALY good...
(most store line flea/tick collars are useless, but ive heard REALY good things about the preventic which can be bought from the vet or online...

and yes you NEED to remove all thos ticks, being in arkansas the lymes risk isnt as high, but you do have a big risk from other tick transmitted illnesses...
and yes, the ticks ARE realy bad this year so it might also be worth buying some yard spray and spraying down your yard.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:41 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,783,864 times
Thanks all,
had the tick removed by the vet *how come the vet can get the dog to stand up for tick removal an I cannot???), who recommended Advantix as well so got his first dose there and will now check to see where the best place to buy it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs