Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,760 times

Advertisements

Diesel has gone and done it, he's been skunked! Second dog in the neighborhood (in a month) to be skunked!

He has his shots (thank goodness). Pulled out my trusted skunk recipe: hydrogen peroxide 32oz bottle, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 tea spoon dish soap, lather up, and rinse. (***If you put the dish soap with the hydrogen peroxide before adding the baking soda, it won't bubble up!)

(Side note: Although he has his shots, I will be calling the vet tomorrow.)

He only has a slight hint of skunk smell but the house reeks!!! (my bad, brought him in after the tangle, while I mixed the recipe...oops!) My first time (being skunked...)

Spanky kept running up to him, then running away.

HELP!!! Any suggestions? BTW (The air outside, still smells like skunk, too...) So the question is getting the smell out of the house besides opening the windows since the outside smells like the skunk, too?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
It does wear off. I've used dog skunk shampoo. Fresh skunk really smells like a chemical plant, doesn't it? One lived under my porch and would run around in the middle of the night, dogs would bark, and I thought I was in a chemical attack. But the smell does fade rather quickly. I did find official skunk shampoo helpful.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
You have my deepest sympathy.

I had all three of my dogs get blasted one early evening when we were out for a hike in the hills. No choice but to load them all in the car for the 25 minute trip home. The two who had gotten the worst of it also threw up (in the car) from the dosing. There was a very faint lingering smell for a month or so.

Do wash his collar, or even buy him a new one. It took me a week or so before I realized that some of the smell was in their collars & especially in their leashes (which had not gotten washed along with the dogs)!

After that a BIG bottle of skunk shampoo lived in the car but thankfully it was never needed.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 AM

Yes, nature's finest chemical attack mind you! While I was scrubbing poor Diesel, I was getting a burning on my arms. I should have put on gloves but I am tough, right? Huh, no! Hubby came in, I let him finish scrubbing and go through the rinse cycle. I had to go wash with soap and water. Then go shampoo the carpet where Diesel layed down to rub that horrible smell off. (Hey I thought they rolled in stinky stuff to get the scent on them?)

I knew there was a reason I bought a good carpet cleaner...I have dogs and carpet! (HA!)

Where did you get your skunk shampoo? Is there a brand name? Can I spray my house down with it (lol)?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Nature's Miracle makes a de-skunker that works REALLY well....

it's about $20 for a quart sized bottle..... i soaked Dave's entire front half with it when he got sprayed and only used about half the bottle.... It worked FAR FAR FAR better than the deodorizing shampoo that Bailey was washed with 3x in one day at the groomers when she got sprayed a couple months earlier.... soak collars and leashes, as well....

I keep a bottle in my trunk now....

Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
If memory serves me it was probably this:

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover - Natures Miracle - Featured Products - PetSmart

You should be able to find it at most pet supply stores.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:46 AM

Hey thanks for that info.

Another quick question. I think Diesel took a direct hit in his mouth, he was frothing? Anyone have that happen? After the frothing, he was drooling (salavating) like crazy. (Well, until I got him in the tub.)

Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If memory serves me it was probably this:

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover - Natures Miracle - Featured Products - PetSmart

You should be able to find it at most pet supply stores.
This stuff works great, OP I feel for yah.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM

175 posts, read 590,210 times
Citronella candles will help to get the smell out of the house. They work better than other scented candels. I have been there - our lab got sprayed right on our porch as my husband was leaving her out early one morning. She turned around and ran right back in, dripping from the spray and ran through the house, right to me and jumped up on our bed! LOL I had to throw all the bedding away and shampoo the carpets! It was October so I opened all the windows, lit the woodstove and burned every citronella candle I could find. The dog was easy, I used tomato sauce first and then Natures Miracle but the house took longer. Good luck!!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Doesn't look good, metro Denver is in the middle of a heat wave. I'm already scent sensitive and chronic migraines...But, I will do what I must to get the stink out.

I just looked at Diesel's paperwork, first could not find a date for rabies shot, okay call county shelter in the morning, did another check, his rabies lapsed in February (I thought all rabies were three years, wrong!) I have an appointment with his vet at 3. (I adopted him a year ago today.)

They (county shelter) sent me a notice a couple of weeks ago said his tag was coming due (they are free since he's neutered) but that his rabies has or would be expired by the time the next tag would be due for issue with no date listed with the expiration? Does anyone find this odd besides me? I wish they had sent me a notice back in February. This ALL could have been avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs