Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,286,387 times

Advertisements

Well, Cleo shared our lives and hearts from the time we adopted her in the Spring of '98 until this past Tuesday the 31st. She would have been 16 this October. It was so very hard, but as she had developed a progressive heart murmur, we had absolutely no choice but to send her off with her dignity still intact.

Knowing full well that both of us and our 11 year old male would still need some more life in our pack, we made a trek across the state to Boise, managed to meet quite a few who caught our eyes and enjoyed spending time with them. Even went and visited my cousin where I got my "old girl" fix with his Mollie.

One thing we discovered is that we really didn't need a young dog or pup. We arrived home in the wee hours on Thursday morning. I woke up around 7 and decided it was far too quiet (Tony was boarding at my work), made some coffee and woke my husband up.

While drinking coffee we went back into Petfinder and adjusted our scope to show more than the young dogs.

We found her!!! Our new friend is Carly, she is 7 years old and a Border Collie mix. It feels so right She is not here to replace Cleo, but to grab another portion of our hearts. She and her partner were surrendered when their people lost their home. I found out Tahoe had already been placed and he was 9!! Knowing we were not going to ruin any chance of them being rehomed together, we contacted the rescue and drove half way back to Boise and brought her home that day

When she walked in the door, it was if she was home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 AM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Well, Cleo shared our lives and hearts from the time we adopted her in the Spring of '98 until this past Tuesday the 31st. She would have been 16 this October. It was so very hard, but as she had developed a progressive heart murmur, we had absolutely no choice but to send her off with her dignity still intact.

Knowing full well that both of us and our 11 year old male would still need some more life in our pack, we made a trek across the state to Boise, managed to meet quite a few who caught our eyes and enjoyed spending time with them. Even went and visited my cousin where I got my "old girl" fix with his Mollie.

One thing we discovered is that we really didn't need a young dog or pup. We arrived home in the wee hours on Thursday morning. I woke up around 7 and decided it was far too quiet (Tony was boarding at my work), made some coffee and woke my husband up.

While drinking coffee we went back into Petfinder and adjusted our scope to show more than the young dogs.

We found her!!! Our new friend is Carly, she is 7 years old and a Border Collie mix. It feels so right She is not here to replace Cleo, but to grab another portion of our hearts. She and her partner were surrendered when their people lost their home. I found out Tahoe had already been placed and he was 9!! Knowing we were not going to ruin any chance of them being rehomed together, we contacted the rescue and drove half way back to Boise and brought her home that day

When she walked in the door, it was if she was home

Sorry to hear about Cleo and hope time heals your heart. I think you should be quite proud that she made it almost to 16!

My big question is where are the photos of Carly? I think it is illegal to tell us about a new dog without photos to show us

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times
congratulations on your new family member.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry to hear about Cleo and hope time heals your heart. I think you should be quite proud that she made it almost to 16!

My big question is where are the photos of Carly? I think it is illegal to tell us about a new dog without photos to show us
Yes, I'm thrilled she made it this far with absolutely no major health issues, but it still stings. I work at a boarding kennel and have for 10 years now, so I do know how fortunate we've been. I've seen some go far too young and some who were 10, but looked 20

Speaking of such, just at home taking a quick break from work. Will formally introduce Carly tonight after I get home

Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times
Can't wait to see the pics

Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM

117 posts, read 207,947 times
cleosmom ~~ I just happened to stop by C-D and noticed your post.

First, my sincere condolences on the loss of your Cleo. Second, you one very resilient soul!!

Congratulations and I look forward to your pics.

Z

Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,125,818 times
I saw and posted to your Carly intro thread before seeing this one about Cleo...I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard letting our pets go. They take such a big piece of our hearts with them but I've always known...Grief is the price we pay for love. And I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm sure you feel the same.

I do not know who the author of this piece is...but I think it's appropriate to post here...and for you.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them.

And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart.

If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog.

And I become as generous and loving as they are."

Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,446,135 times
I'm so very sorry about Cleo. And so very glad that you were able to find Carly, to help fill the emptiness that our beloved pets leave behind.
ZSP, that is a lovely quote!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
I'm so sad for you about Cleo, but...
... I'm so happy for you about Carly.

You showed us the circle of life.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoyd View Post
cleosmom ~~ I just happened to stop by C-D and noticed your post.

First, my sincere condolences on the loss of your Cleo. Second, you one very resilient soul!!

Congratulations and I look forward to your pics.

Z
Zoyd, thank you for your kind words. It is not so much resilient as compassionate. With Tony going on 11 there is a small window to bring in another member of the pack without making him feel as if we're packing his bags. No matter how small the canine pack, there is something one canine can do for another that we as humans cannot do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs