Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM

50 posts, read 227,832 times

Advertisements

I know this is kind of a weird question, and I have no idea if other people have asked this, but how can I get my dog to play with me?

When she was a puppy up until she was almost 2 years old, we would play with each other all the time: fetch, tug of war, tag/hide and seek, you named it. She's about 3 1/2 years old now, still young, fit and energetic, but she's lost all interest in games. I've tried to be exciting (get on the floor, rolling and bouncing on the floor, bouncing balls, squeaking toys, waving rope toys like prey among other things) but she just stares at me like she has no idea what to make of what I'm doing

The only thing that interests her are toys with food (which she just ignores me until she gets stuck and then barks to get me to help her) or tearing up stuffed animals. Occasionally, she'll play with one of her few friends in the dog run, but for the most part she ignores them to graze or get petted by other people. If I try to play with her there with a ball or stick, she might make a halfhearted attempt to follow it, then ignore it and do her own thing. Frankly, if I didn't walk her all the time, she'd probably sleep on the couch all day.

I really miss playing our old games with her. Is this just her adult personality? Should I just learn to accept it, or is there any way I can encourage my dog's playful side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,879,579 times
sounds like this could just be her personality, out of my 3, my female is not 'playfull" shell soemtimes get in the mood and wrestle/play chase with my male crestie, but for the most part she LIVES for snuggle time, thts her thign all she wants is to snuggle, shes not interested in toys, shes not interested in games...

my male crested only likes stufed toys and the laser pointer...(and playing "chase me" running round the yard with the other 2...)

Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 AM

30,577 posts, read 16,268,237 times
had a dog like that. Fetch? If I wanted the ball, I shouldn't have thrown it away. Tug-of-rope? well, hey, you're the alpha dog. You want the rope, take it.

walking and swimming were her fun things. Did both with her as often as possible.

foxywench is right. Some dogs just don't play.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
It's normal. Young dogs are so into playing, as a rule, as they learn and grow.
My Korgi/Kollie brothers were completely into fetch when younger. When adult, the more-Corgi one stopped playing and continued tearing up dog beds and toys. The more-Border Collie one was obsessed with tennis balls up until his last day at age 13.
If the dog is adopted, they might not have learned to play. I have senior adoptees, and the only one who plays is a herding dog mix of 11 who likes tug of war, catch the toy, and chase my feet. He'll chase a ball, but run right past it. He used to play herding with my old cattle dog- they'd hip-check each other, clack their teeth, block each other. It was the cutest thing.

I'm sure dogs still love to interact with their people, but can change their way with maturity.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
My neighbors dog he got a yr ago ...shes about 5 yrs old now. She wouldnt play. Than last month she was spayed now all she wants to do is run & play! Turned out she had a uterus infection! Make sure she just doesnt want to play & not sick!! Another words she needs a checkup!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Nanners doesn't play, with me or other dogs. She's a very serious girl and doesn't put up with tomfoolery, especially from other dogs. If you throw a ball or frisbee, she'll look at it then look at the person who threw it with a disdainful expression. That's just her personality.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,162,166 times
Some dogs just don't seem to play. I had one (hyperactive) lab who wanted to play with EVERYONE who came into our home, others who wanted to play fetch, and now Hobbs who doesn't do anything. His thing is going on walks and chasing lizards & trying to find them in their hiding places (we live in the high desert)--he just gets so excited about this!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 PM

117 posts, read 207,929 times
Katie has it right. You should eliminate any health issues before exploring the behavioral side of the equation. Full blood panel, thyroid tests, full check up by a reputable and open-minded vet.

If nothing shows up, then begin with the (long list of) behavioral questions.

Good point, Katie.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,483,331 times
Could just be her personality. I have one dog--age 10.5--who would play all day if we had the energy to keep up with her but she hates cuddling. Rescued (well, found) our younger second dog a few years ago and all she wants to do is cuddle and be next to us.

It's a wonderful balance...perhaps you could get another dog to fulfill your playful side? (and who knows...it might reinvigorate your lazy one!) (:

Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nanners doesn't play, with me or other dogs. She's a very serious girl and doesn't put up with tomfoolery, especially from other dogs. If you throw a ball or frisbee, she'll look at it then look at the person who threw it with a disdainful expression. That's just her personality.
Hmmm. Are you sure she doesn't go meow, instead of bow-wow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs