Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times

Advertisements

This breaks my heart. How can our lawmakers allow such atrocious puppy mills to exist. I'm ashamed of my state.

Dozens of dogs seized in sting at alleged puppy mill :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,613,008 times
Alot of people are from the high use of the gas chamber to the high kill rate at many shelters to the puppy mills.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,389,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
How can our lawmakers allow such atrocious puppy mills to exist.
What makes you say that?
Brunswick County sheriff's deputies arrested the dogs' owners, Andrew and Amelia Millis, of Wilmington, on charges of animal neglect and animal cruelty charges, but authorities did not have the exact charges Friday evening.

Being arrested without any charges yet doesn't exactly sound like they're being allowed to exist.

This is an epidemic all over the country. The worst is probably in PA actually, where the Amish claim they are some sort of sovereign nation that is exempt from the laws pertaining to breeding and animal cruelty.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times
I said it because I think the local governments should be more investigative before and after issuing licenses and the state government should punish more harshly those who are caught. The general public cannot do much to keep these people out of business except pass the word about puppy mills in general. Yes there are other states just as bad or worse and each community must be proactive about taking care of animals.

http://www.thedogfiles.com/2012/02/1...ppy-mill-raid/

update on puppy mill legislation

http://www.apsofdurham.org/update-on-puppy-mill-bill/

Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,967,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
What makes you say that?
Brunswick County sheriff's deputies arrested the dogs' owners, Andrew and Amelia Millis, of Wilmington, on charges of animal neglect and animal cruelty charges, but authorities did not have the exact charges Friday evening.

Being arrested without any charges yet doesn't exactly sound like they're being allowed to exist.

This is an epidemic all over the country. The worst is probably in PA actually, where the Amish claim they are some sort of sovereign nation that is exempt from the laws pertaining to breeding and animal cruelty.
What's ridiculous is livestock is often treated better than dogs in puppy mills. I think it has to do with the margins for profit. A cow, horse, pig has a much greater value than a single dog since purchasers of livestock are very discerning and investing alot of money vs. a pet store or owner, who is buying based on general appearance and perceived temperament with an eye to initial investment rather than long term return. The utility is minimal, which makes puppy mills fight to sell on low cost over any other basis. True breeders looking to improve the breed are basically selling puppies at a loss comparatively, but they get their benefit in show wins, improved hunting/working skills or various known temperament/health improvements.

Its a catch 22 that requires people to change their attitudes, but atleast rescues and shelters have improved so much in the past two decades and created a shift in demand away from puppy stores and online sales. Once demand ebbs enough, no amount of economics will make the puppy mill industry profitable. I look forward to that day.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,389,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I said it because I think the local governments should be more investigative before and after issuing licenses and the state government should punish more harshly those who are caught.
I agree with that but if people never get licensed, they're flying under the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Once demand ebbs enough, no amount of economics will make the puppy mill industry profitable. I look forward to that day.
As do I but I'm not as optimistic that's happening. Puppies kinda sell themselves.

The legally operating licensed puppy mills may concede to the economics of it but the illegal ones won't.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM

350 posts, read 478,996 times
Quote:
The worst is probably in PA actually, where the Amish claim they are some sort of sovereign nation that is exempt from the laws pertaining to breeding and animal cruelty.
Wrong. While there are probably more puppy producing locations in the Amish community in PA, they are dwarfed by the large scale puppy mills are in Missouri and Kansas. The Amish (whether they like it or not) are required to abide by the PA dog laws, USDA laws and AKC requirements (if they use that registry). There are also a large numbers in Mississippi, Alabama and West Virginia. Puppy producers exist in EVERY state, more than you know.

The only 'cure' for puppy mills is to find a way to halt 'over the counter' sales of puppies in the retail pet locations. Without them, puppy mills would not have the market they largely rely on.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times
People have to stop buying puppies over the internet, without seeing the "breeding" place or parents, etc. I have a co-worker who buys dogs over the internet and I could just kick his butt. He also buys land on eBay. But in relation to every thing else, he's totally paranoid.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:21 AM

30,655 posts, read 16,316,763 times
the attitude of pure bred dogs being better than mixed breed (a.k.a. mutts) also goes a long way in supporting puppy mills.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM

350 posts, read 478,996 times
Currently the 'designer' dog market (which is nothing more than mutts created on purpose) is also a thriving addition for many puppy producers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs