Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,438 times

Advertisements

Rant Part 1: Last week, my family and I were walking into our hotel when a dog came running over to us --across a parking lot. The woman was running after it, calling it. The man was standing at their car with their other UNLEASHED dog, screaming after the loose dog. We froze and let the dog sniff us. What in the world were they doing with 2 dogs off of their leashes in a parking lot? Apparently, they were unloading their luggage and their unleashed dogs all at once. So UNSAFE!

Rant Part 2: Later, we took our dogs on a walk. We went down the stairs where we saw the screaming dog owner man and where he almost ran over me and one of our dogs. Our dog didn't notice until he pushed past us at the door. The man seemed so aggressive that she thought he was trying to get us. He's lucky that she is trained well enough that she only gave warning barks. Some dogs would have bitten him or tried to attack.

Why don't people use common sense when coming into contact with others' dogs, and why don't they use common sense when traveling with their own dogs? I just keep thinking how sorry I feel for the screaming man's dogs! Thanks for letting me rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:00 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
Some people are idiots like that. I've seen it all too many times. Even with aggressive off leash dogs that stare me or my dogs down. The owners always say something like she is friendly, she just wants to play, don't worry. A dog who is staring you down, tense, stiff tail, hair up and growling doesn't want to play. They can't read their own dogs body language. Thats how bites happen.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Wow! I would have had a talk with those people whether they wanted to hear it or not! That is unbelievably unsafe and irresponsible! Those dogs could have gotten hurt or killed, or they could have hurt someone else or another animal! They should not own dogs! No dog, no matter what bred it is, no matter what size it is, no matter how nice it is and no matter how well trained and obedient it is, should ever be in a public place unleashed (unless it's a dog park or something like that obviously ). It's not safe for the dog, the dogs owner, other people that are around and other animals that are around! I can't stand people that don't leash their dogs when they have their dogs off of their property, and it drives me nuts when I hear people talking about they don't walk their dog on a leash because they don't have leash laws! Whether the city someone lives in has leash laws or not, every dog should be leashed at least when it's not on their owners property. Even that's unsafe though unless their in a fence. That's just my opinion though. All of our dogs are extremely friendly, they get along with other animals and people, we have never had a problem with our dogs being aggressive towards another dog or person! But dogs are still dogs and no matter how great the dog is, you never know what could happen! I love my dogs, so I would never have them unleashed where anything could happen!.. Okay, I'm done now! lol! That was my rant for the day, if you couldn't tell I don't like people that don't leash their dogs! lol! I just don't like irresponsible owners PERIOD! Some people really should not ever own a dog, you know?! And from what you have said, it sounds like those people are two of them!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Rant Part 1: Last week, my family and I were walking into our hotel when a dog came running over to us --across a parking lot. The woman was running after it, calling it. The man was standing at their car with their other UNLEASHED dog, screaming after the loose dog. We froze and let the dog sniff us. What in the world were they doing with 2 dogs off of their leashes in a parking lot? Apparently, they were unloading their luggage and their unleashed dogs all at once. So UNSAFE!

Rant Part 2: Later, we took our dogs on a walk. We went down the stairs where we saw the screaming dog owner man and where he almost ran over me and one of our dogs. Our dog didn't notice until he pushed past us at the door. The man seemed so aggressive that she thought he was trying to get us. He's lucky that she is trained well enough that she only gave warning barks. Some dogs would have bitten him or tried to attack.

Why don't people use common sense when coming into contact with others' dogs, and why don't they use common sense when traveling with their own dogs? I just keep thinking how sorry I feel for the screaming man's dogs! Thanks for letting me rant!

Oh does this give me flashbacks! I moved X-C twice and dreaded each time I stayed at the dozens of hotels along the way with my two (well behaved) dogs.
I learned something about mid-way through my 2,000 mile trek and that was to ask for a ground floor room at the back entrance AWAY from other dogs that may be staying at the same place.
That way I could exit out the back entrance w/o running into any idiots with their dogs...and I did run into quite a few.

*That's just it though...people do not use common sense and don't think that rules apply to them.
Which most if not all hotel/motels have some sort of rules pertaining to pets. And those are the idiots that also ruin it for others.*

My gripe with dog people staying at hotels/motels would be the slobs that would let their dogs do it's business and not pick it up!! *pigs*

Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
The hotel might take action if they were told dogs were running around off leash.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Oh does this give me flashbacks! I moved X-C twice and dreaded each time I stayed at the dozens of hotels along the way with my two (well behaved) dogs.
I learned something about mid-way through my 2,000 mile trek and that was to ask for a ground floor room at the back entrance AWAY from other dogs that may be staying at the same place.
That way I could exit out the back entrance w/o running into any idiots with their dogs...and I did run into quite a few.

*That's just it though...people do not use common sense and don't think that rules apply to them.
Which most if not all hotel/motels have some sort of rules pertaining to pets. And those are the idiots that also ruin it for others.*

My gripe with dog people staying at hotels/motels would be the slobs that would let their dogs do it's business and not pick it up!! *pigs*

Staying away from other dogs at the hotel is a great idea! We travel with our dogs quite a bit, and I am shocked how many people, especially people with little dogs, let their dogs off their leashes at hotels. They don't realize that it only takes a split second for a tragic accident to occur.

I soooo agree about the "slobs" who don't pick up after their dogs. I hate going to a hotel that banishes dogs to horrid areas to do their business because they've had problems with irresponsible dog owners.

Maybe we should be more aggressive, in a nice way, and encourage bad owners to do the right things. We could offer little p**p bags, assuming that they must have forgotten their bags or maybe have just run out. We could comment on how lucky the unleashed dogs are to have not gotten run over or hurt someone, commenting on how relieved we are that their dogs are safe--so far. Maybe some kind hints will work. I don't want to get into a confrontation or resort to having to report someone unless it is absolutely a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs