Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

I've heard before that a lot of puppy mills are run by Amish people. Certainly belies the image we have of them being so peaceful and innocent. Be sure to read all the comments. Very enlightening.

Dozens Of Dogs Pulled From Amish Farm In *****way County | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM

399 posts, read 705,055 times
That's just plain sad! I hope they get in trouble big time for it. Dogs deserve better than that. I bet if they were kept in kennels like that they wouldn't appreciate it.

I feel for the dogs. Wish I could take them all in, but I already have a dog and 4 cats. LOL

JMHO

Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,881 times
And not all oak furniture is made by the Amish either. They put their pants on just like everyone else...money to be made in "designer dogs" and those who have no regard for the animals try to breed a lifestyle for themselves. I am glad they were caught and I hope that those dogs find their way to no-kill shelters and are fed, groomed, physically attended to and then placed in a forever home.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
While I abohor their practice of puppy milling, they do have a very very different outlook on animals in general - they consider them livestock no matter what they are. I actually owned a horse that was bred by an Amish guy...some of them are good to their animals and some are not...it was the way they were raised unfortunatly and since they have very little contact with the outside world they just don't get that dogs are pets and family members for the rest of us.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,717 times
They view dogs on the same plane as chickens, something to be created, fed and bred and sold. Dogs aren't chickens (or pigs or cows). The Amish don't recognize that and so they continue to create dogs and provide them with the minimal care to have large turnover and cull only the ones that are physically defective (and thus unsellable). It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
There's no need to treat "livestock" in a way that causes suffering, no matter what the species.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
While I abohor their practice of puppy milling, they do have a very very different outlook on animals in general - they consider them livestock no matter what they are. I actually owned a horse that was bred by an Amish guy...some of them are good to their animals and some are not...it was the way they were raised unfortunatly and since they have very little contact with the outside world they just don't get that dogs are pets and family members for the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
They view dogs on the same plane as chickens, something to be created, fed and bred and sold. Dogs aren't chickens (or pigs or cows). The Amish don't recognize that and so they continue to create dogs and provide them with the minimal care to have large turnover and cull only the ones that are physically defective (and thus unsellable). It's a sad state of affairs.
Regardless of whether the animal is a chicken a dog or a cow, it is a living breathing feeling being. That is no justification.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
But don't they have pets like the rest of us? I just can't imagine even the most uneducated and isolated person not knowing that animals deserve compassion and respect.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
I guess they don't see animals as worthy of compassion, maybe think of concern for their welfare as self-indulgent sentimentality? I admire certain things about the Amish, but I don't get how Christians who take their faith as seriously as they do can do this.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But don't they have pets like the rest of us? I just can't imagine even the most uneducated and isolated person not knowing that animals deserve compassion and respect.
No they do not have "pets" as we do, they have working animals. They do not believe animals have souls and see them as tools.

Don't get me wrong as I said I abhore what they do with their animals, but remember they are a very very diffferent culture from ours even though they live in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs