Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times

Advertisements

....just sayin'. I know that my dogs should be better trained in regard to the doorbell but it rings legitimately maybe 6 times a year. Not enough for desensitization IMO. Most of our doorbell related bark-fests are reactions to commercials with a doorbell ringing, not an actual doorbell. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,473,008 times
Oh my, you have captured my house to the letter! Our bell rarely rings and it actually took my dog a whole year before she made the connection between that sound and the chance someone was at the door. We try to mute when we know one is coming on tv...but there are so DARN many! It confuses the beejeebers out of her...sometimes her humans go to the door and sometimes not!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 AM

399 posts, read 705,019 times
Mine has to do with any loud noise that comes from the door area. We live in an apartment so if there are people outside passing, she goes banana's and starts to bark! She doesn't like knocking. So I moved her sleep kennel from in the kitchen near the front door to the spare room and close that door at night so people coming in late at night don't wake her and make her start barking. Urgggg. Don't need to be woken up in the middle of the night from neighbors that make my dog bark. Well, they don't make her bark but she hears the noise. Sensitive ears I say, too sensitive. LOL

Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
In Private Practice (my wife's show), there is an elevator. And the chime of the elevator sounds like the first note of the three note doorbell chime at the house.
And of course, all four dogs would go nuts.

Thankfully, they finally desensitized.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Artie is a Smartie in that regard. He's never confused about it being our doorbell, in any of the three houses that we've lived in. He hates loud noises, though, so movies with "surprise" loud sounds cause a ruckus from him. It's especially bad because the stereo system that's hooked up to our TV is totally geeked-out (thanks, Jeremy! ) and the surround sound makes for interesting adventures -- you never know where the sound will come from!

But, thankfully, we don't often watch TV and, when we do, Artie is nonplussed by doorbells.

Bring a mailman into the fray, though, and all hell might break loose.

ETA: It's ONLY loud noises that upset Artie. Dog barking? No problem. Other animals? He doesn't notice a thing -- in fact, he doesn't LOOK at the TV. Ever. But throw in an exploding building? Oh my!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-26-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
I hate doorbells on t.v. I hate sirens. I hate people knocking on doors. I hate dogs barking, cats mewing, children screaming, fireworks, gunfights, and most of Animal Planet. I have one dog that is OCD and would watch Animal Planet all day and bark constantly at the lions/tigers/polar bears/monkeys/walruses if you let him. It's never aggressive barking - the tails start wagging and it's like "oh boy, COMPANY!". If the t.v. volume is so low that only dolphins can hear it everything is fine. Get it up into senior citizen range and our house can turn into bedlam if you don't just zoom right by the Dreaded Channels. Actually, 6 of them would be all good with the noise - it's the one that watches t.v. like he's waiting on the Second Coming that starts it all He alerts all the others that yes, the chimpanzees might leap from the screen at any moment, and won't that be fun??? The rest of them just bark because he is. He must be telling them only good things, though, because everyone is happy and all wiggly while they bark. Strangely enough, though, once he's down for the night we could have an air raid siren go off in the house and he'd never move.

It's a good thing I don't love the television and prefer a good book instead!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 AM

146 posts, read 358,511 times
Hah yep our dog goes crazy at doorbells on TV too. We watch the Late Late Show and Craig has a doorbell sound he plays sometimes and it really set off a bark fest.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Yeah, thank god the two big dogs got acclimated to all noises, including my annoying (per wife) habit of pretending to knock on the door by knocking on other furniture. Now I get an eye roll from them.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
There are two old dogs in my place. They have been with me for a few years..They are my eldest daughters dogs...They totally adore her. If they hear a the door bell they assume it is her.. MY apartment is on the second floor ...there is a long staircase leading to the actual entrance...The apartment is extremely long.

If the door bell sounds the dogs will gallop from one end of the apartment to the other- then dash down the long stair case. The are so damned loud when they do that - Howling - barking - they just go crazy.

Funny though- The older Beagle...has gotten lazy- She does not run down the stairs..she lets the other dog go first to make sure it is my daughter coming by...If it is not the Beagle turns away and does not bother....Sometimes I will fool them or try to fool them by ringing the bell...to get them to come out side...The old Beagle knows when I am lying...Oddly- when my daughter lies to them by saying there is a squirrel out back- they believe her- but they do not believe me.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Brings back fond memories! Where we used to live, and where beloved First Dog grew up, the door bell was the bing-bong type you also hear in commercials. So when our real door bell rang, she'd start barking, and of course she did the same during commercials. So we started telling her, "It's on TV!" and smart dog that she was, she'd stop barking, and just huff. And that became our voice command to her when there was something she shouldn't get upset about, or not take seriously: "It's on TV!" It worked like a charm. If we said, "It's okay!" in a calming voice, she'd get really upset, because she thought that now there was really something to worry about. But "It's on TV!" calmed her down every time.

Present Dog doesn't care about commercials or door bells. She worries about invasions of squirrels and racoons instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs