Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM

449 posts, read 1,699,295 times

Advertisements

Our dog is small pappion /american eskimo/maybe beagle about 25 lbs
She adores chewing and chasing balls and squeaky furry cat toys(shes isnt allowed
The cat ones and has oversodden them till they dont squeak)

Tennis balls are too big for her jaw and the mini tennis too small.
Any suggestions? We had a red one that made noises but she cracked
It so it went oval, lost noise but I'm nervous she might break it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,481,204 times
try a small Kong

One of my dogs is a power-chewer but has had her beloved Kong for years (I will keep it forever as a memory of her).

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Kongs are an excellent choice and they have a good line of toys/tugs that type of thing.

I have Boston Terriers, a French Bulldog and a LabX and all love to play fetch...the Bostons and Frenchie are ball obsessed to the max. We never liked tennis balls...the furry stuff (what is the name of that stuff???) wears their teeth down and who likes that soggy mess anyway?

Racquet balls are good...lots of bounce but the Frenchie can pop them quickly...the Bostons no. So, we now use the rubber Chuck-It balls. They come in two, maybe three sizes and even my hardest chewer hasn't been able to damage even one. They're also easy to keep clean. Here's a link

Canine Hardware Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Dog Toy | PetFoodDirect

You can find them at most sporting goods stores...places like PetSmart/PetCo

Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the ideas. A kong of her own is on the list for inside. The red ball we had had a "sticky" outside so it was fur magnet and it looked smaller in the package. I'll check out those chuck-it balls, they sound really good for her, I like that they're also easy to clean. Our other dog never liked hard or noisy toys so this is new for us. Jules is younger and much more energetic, goes crazy for hard, noisy toys, and for some reason those electronic noise mice. I'm just happy she only chews toys.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Kongs are an excellent choice and they have a good line of toys/tugs that type of thing.

I have Boston Terriers, a French Bulldog and a LabX and all love to play fetch...the Bostons and Frenchie are ball obsessed to the max. We never liked tennis balls...the furry stuff (what is the name of that stuff???) wears their teeth down and who likes that soggy mess anyway?

Racquet balls are good...lots of bounce but the Frenchie can pop them quickly...the Bostons no. So, we now use the rubber Chuck-It balls. They come in two, maybe three sizes and even my hardest chewer hasn't been able to damage even one. They're also easy to keep clean. Here's a link

Canine Hardware Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Dog Toy | PetFoodDirect

You can find them at most sporting goods stores...places like PetSmart/PetCo
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Thanks for the ideas. A kong of her own is on the list for inside. The red ball we had had a "sticky" outside so it was fur magnet and it looked smaller in the package. I'll check out those chuck-it balls, they sound really good for her, I like that they're also easy to clean. Our other dog never liked hard or noisy toys so this is new for us. Jules is younger and much more energetic, goes crazy for hard, noisy toys, and for some reason those electronic noise mice. I'm just happy she only chews toys.
Oh, yes! Artie loves his Chuck-It balls. He has some smaller ones that are covered in felt, and some larger rubber ones. The trick for you might be finding the right size so, after you figure it out, make a note of it for when you need to buy more (they do get lost, but not destroyed). (I say this about making a note because I always say to myself that I won't forget -- I never forget anything! -- but then, yeah, I forget.)

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Finally was able to find some Chuck it balls. She loves them, was pretty funny when it bounced so much she didn't know what to make of it. They had some raquet balls too which I picked up since we've been losing balls under all the autumn leaves but the Chuck it is her favorite. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:20 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Finally was able to find some Chuck it balls. She loves them, was pretty funny when it bounced so much she didn't know what to make of it. They had some raquet balls too which I picked up since we've been losing balls under all the autumn leaves but the Chuck it is her favorite. Thanks for the suggestions.
Yay! I'm happy the Chuck It balls worked out for your doggie and yes, they do bounce! Not as high as racquet balls but still. My Bostons like both but I can't let my Frenchie have racquet balls...his jaws are just too strong...he will pop a crack in one within minutes. Oh, all my dogs can launch racquet balls out of their mouths...funny.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,265 times
Look into the Hol-ee ball. I have had 3 of these balls in the last years. They are not indestructible, but anything that last a few months get a good rating from us! Actually, The day we adopted her she picked it out herself on her walk through the pet store and it sat unused for several months. Then one day she "discovered" it and now it is a daily must have. It is soft enough that she is not afraid to catch it and fairly house friendly. It has survived hours of playing tug of war and even if she manages to bite through it in a few places, it still functions as a ball. I hope this link works:

JW Pet Hol-ee Roller Ball Tough Dog Toy 6.5 in.

I buy mine locally at a pet superstore but this was a good picture of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs