Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 98,318 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. Our 12 year old Siberian Huskey will not stop peeing in the house. He does it when we are home and when we are not home. It got so bad that we had to crate him during the day. He does not pee in his crate. However when he is out in the evenings, he pees in the bedroom. We have cleaned the floor as much as possible and used some nature stuff to get the odor out. We are at our wits end, we do not know what to do. Please help, any suggestions are appreciated. He is up to date and goes to the vet every year. He is a healthy dog. We already have a diabetic cat, and are spending a fortune on vet bills every year for checkups, glucose testing (my wife wants to do it not me) etc.

Please Help

Demtro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Has he always had this problem or did it just recently occur?
If the latter then perhaps your dog is simply getting older and becoming incontinent.
Read this: Incontinence in Dogs

Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 98,318 times
It has started in the last 5 months or so...we have spoken to our vet and he cannot find anything medical so he falls back to the answer that it is behavorial...

Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
My late girl became incontinent when she turned 12 as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Sounds like old age to me. Don't be mad at him. Just keep loving him. Buy him some doggie diapers.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Any major changes in the household in the last five months? New cat? Different furniture? Could he be marking where the cats are spraying?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Don't free feed. Keep his water up and when you feed and give him water take his outside for as long as it takes for him to eliminate. The other pets will have to have access a different way also. This should help. Otherwise, the other poster that suggested diapers, in the house is not a bad idea.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Did the vet do a complete senior exam with blood work?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
another vote for senior incontinence...
ANY sudden changes in potty habits should be checked by a vet, im not talking hey he looks fine, im talking blood work and othe such things as needed.
at 12 years of this is a SENIOR dog for any breed but especially a sibe...and its very likely that the muscles are starting to get weak...but you want to also rule out crystals, kidney and liver issues an a uti all very common in senior dogs.
since the beroom seems to be her "shame room" (many dogs that are complelty potty trained and start to have these problems tend to choose hidden spots in emergencies...) gate off the bedroom...and start taking her out more frequently...

like all old people shell need to pee more often, so give her the oportunity to do so in the correct place.
and when you cant supervise her either gate her in a pee safe room (kitchen , bathroom) or put her in her crate.
but first a FULL senior wellness check complete with bloodwork is nessicary. this dog has given you 12 years of unconditional love...its only right to spend a little money once a year to make sure shes happy and healthy in her golden years.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
another vote for senior incontinence...
ANY sudden changes in potty habits should be checked by a vet, im not talking hey he looks fine, im talking blood work and othe such things as needed.
at 12 years of this is a SENIOR dog for any breed but especially a sibe...and its very likely that the muscles are starting to get weak...but you want to also rule out crystals, kidney and liver issues an a uti all very common in senior dogs.
since the beroom seems to be her "shame room" (many dogs that are complelty potty trained and start to have these problems tend to choose hidden spots in emergencies...) gate off the bedroom...and start taking her out more frequently...

like all old people shell need to pee more often, so give her the oportunity to do so in the correct place.
and when you cant supervise her either gate her in a pee safe room (kitchen , bathroom) or put her in her crate.
but first a FULL senior wellness check complete with bloodwork is nessicary. this dog has given you 12 years of unconditional love...its only right to spend a little money once a year to make sure shes happy and healthy in her golden years.
^^ This. I was actually waiting for Foxywench to post here, just so that I could agree with her.

I realize that it's hard on you and your wife, but just imagine how difficult (and embarrassing) it is for your older guy. Give him a smooch and a hug for me, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs