Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM

37 posts, read 76,531 times

Advertisements

Single mom of a 2 and 4 year old. Both of my kids are scared of dogs, so I want to get one, so that they will get used to them. Looking for something medium to large size, a guard dog in size, anyway.
My first thought was a Cowdog (border collie/catahoula cur mix), as that was my favorite dog as a child. I have read a few bad reviews about their herding instincts, so am beginning to look at other breeds. Prefer something with short hair, relatively lower maintenance, calm enough to be in the house some, great with children. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM

37 posts, read 76,531 times
Oh, no labs! I had a roommate in college, and her lab destroyed everything in our back yard, so would prefer to avoid!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
You need to find out first why your childen are scared of dogs then introduce them to dogs slowly with friends who have gentle dogs. You really should not bring a dog into the home that the children are scared of it is not fair to the children or the dog. If you are counting on chaining the dog outside most of the time because of where you live don't get a dog, again it is not fair to the dog to be left alone outside most of the time and if the children are scared of it they will not go out and play with it. Also, you being a single Mother won't have a lot of time taking care of the dog and your children and other responsibilities.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Bringing a strange dog into a house with small children who are afraid of dogs would not be my first choice.

If you are going to do it, pick a breed that is placid and non-reactive. Something like an adult Newfoundland that isn't going to be bouncing around and knocking the kids over and that won't snap at them when they pull the dog's hair. A high energy, active dog isn't going to do your kids any good. After they get knocked down a couple of times or whipped with a hard tail, they aren't going to love dogs any better than they already do.

I suggest it would be better to find a group that has therapy dogs and make arrangements to visit with their dogs. Or find one of the groups that does Reading with Fido and expose your children to exceptionally well trained and reliable mannerly dogs.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You need to find out first why your childen are scared of dogs then introduce them to dogs slowly with friends who have gentle dogs. You really should not bring a dog into the home that the children are scared of it is not fair to the children or the dog. If you are counting on chaining the dog outside most of the time because of where you live don't get a dog, again it is not fair to the dog to be left alone outside most of the time and if the children are scared of it they will not go out and play with it. Also, you being a single Mother won't have a lot of time taking care of the dog and your children and other responsibilities.
This!

and if the dog is of a protective nature and senses your childrens' fears, there could be big trouble. And what're you going to do with the dog if it doesn't work out?

My suggestion would be to work on the fears, slowly and gently, before subjecting them to a dog of your own.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I wouldn't get a dog if my 2 and 4 year old were scared of dogs.
Talk about inviting disaster.
Plus, the 2 year old is unlikely to know how to properly interact with a dog.
With a dog that's already around when he is born, this may not be an issue. You would know the dog, you would be able to acclimate the dog to the kid, you would be able to teach the kid manners, etc.
My baby son and my collie know each other...he is growing up with her around and she has acclimated to him.
With a brand new dog that hasn't bonded with a 2 year old...that could be a total bite fest.

Wait till they get older, do some desensitization, and then revisit this.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,034 times
Quote:
First of all, I agree with the above.

Prefer something with short hair, relatively lower maintenance, calm enough to be in the house some, great with children. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Looking for something medium to large size

A dog that fits most of the above is the greyhound. However, they must be homed inside as they have very little body fat. Apparently, they love nothing more than lounging around on a couch most of the day lol. I have often thought if I get a dog, it would be a greyhound:

Is a Greyhound Right for You? - Adoption - Greyhounds as Pets - Home

Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
I agree with the others. What you might want to do is see if your local library or YMCA have the The PAWS for Reading program. That way your children can get used to being around a gentle dog. When you are ready to adopt, I would choose an older dog for them because younger dogs may have too much energy for your children. Realize that your children may never really want a dog.

Our Darcy is supposedly a Catahoula mix and she was high energy when we adopted her and she was about 7 years old.

I like a lab for kids, but they need to be about 4 or 5 years old before they calm down (at least that is my experience). Our Strudel ate the sofa when she was 2. Not good.

When and if you are ready to adopt, the local humane society can help you select the appropriate dog.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTX View Post
Single mom of a 2 and 4 year old. Both of my kids are scared of dogs, so I want to get one, so that they will get used to them. Looking for something medium to large size, a guard dog in size, anyway.
My first thought was a Cowdog (border collie/catahoula cur mix), as that was my favorite dog as a child. I have read a few bad reviews about their herding instincts, so am beginning to look at other breeds. Prefer something with short hair, relatively lower maintenance, calm enough to be in the house some, great with children. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
I see an accident waiting to happen and an innocent dog being put to sleep because of it. This is not the time to adopt a dog, this is not the way to help your kids get over their fear of dogs.

Please take the advice of others here...please do not get a dog at this time. Also, if you are a single mom and have toddlers, the last thing you want to get is a puppy! Please, please heed the advice in this thread.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,608 times
Quote:
^ Wholeheartedly agree with this post. I'm so pleased you saved me from myself, and what ran through my mind, when I read the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs