Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,844,837 times

Advertisements

Dogs do not have the same sense of time as people do. They will wait for days for something or some person to appear...to them days are minutes and minutes days...They are not people... besides the longer you are away from the dog the more fun the reunion will be....I had this old Husky- I had to send him away to live with others for 6 months....There was a party in the city and my dog arrived not knowing that I was there....He was in a strange place surrounded by strange people...Then suddenly he brushed by me in the crowd and was startled...as if to say "How the hell did you get here?" It was pretty funny...He must have thought I dropped out of the sky,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,587,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Dogs do not have the same sense of time as people do. They will wait for days for something or some person to appear...to them days are minutes and minutes days...They are not people... besides the longer you are away from the dog the more fun the reunion will be....I had this old Husky- I had to send him away to live with others for 6 months....There was a party in the city and my dog arrived not knowing that I was there....He was in a strange place surrounded by strange people...Then suddenly he brushed by me in the crowd and was startled...as if to say "How the hell did you get here?" It was pretty funny...He must have thought I dropped out of the sky,
What was that supposed to say regarding the topic?
Dogs are not people, true, they are better. I don't like the way you reunited with your dog, why would you do that to him?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 AM

6,496 posts, read 6,709,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
We'll be boarding our 8 month, 8 lbs dog, during Thanksgiving week for 4 nights. This would be his first time sleeping away from home, and we're worried about it. The boarding facility is only a 5 min. drive from the place we'll be staying at. Should we go check on him each day or will that make it worse for him? Also, many times we have left him at home alone for 5-6 hours with no problems, only the TV on as background noise. Thanks.
I'm curious....how did it go? Did you visit daily? I hope you ALL had a good Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM

146 posts, read 314,455 times
UPDATE: The boarding facility was recommended by the hotel we were staying in. It was a family owned business and the owner lived on the property. We saw nothing wrong with the place, which gave us a little comfort. It was very clean and packed with dogs: probably because of the Thanksgiving weekend. The staff was nice and understanding of the fact that it was his first time being away from us. I cried as I walked away from his suite, I felt horrible. We got him a private luxury suite with a TV, and playtime with other dogs his size and temperament, about 5-6 times a day. We were told he played well with the other dogs. We brought his bed from home, his favorite toys and couple of other things to remind him of home, in hope he will not stress too much.
We dropped him off on Thursday about 1 pm, and picked him up on Sunday about 2 pm. We did not visit him at all, but we did call the facility everyday to check on him. Each time we called they told us he was fine, eating well, sleeping well, and etc. When we picked him up, he was overjoyed to see us. He was perfectly OK, and his usual self. It's been 2 days since we've been home and he's still OK.
If we had to use this boarding facility again, I think we would. Perhaps it makes a difference if the owner lived on the property. One thing though, we would always reserve a private suite, no matter which facility we use. The barking noise from other dogs that were caged, was unbelievably loud, and we were so glad he had a private suite. He is a small dog ( 8 months old and about 8 lbs ) and I'm not sure how he would've handled that noise. I'm relieved everything turned out OK.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
UPDATE: The boarding facility was recommended by the hotel we were staying in. It was a family owned business and the owner lived on the property. We saw nothing wrong with the place, which gave us a little comfort. It was very clean and packed with dogs: probably because of the Thanksgiving weekend. The staff was nice and understanding of the fact that it was his first time being away from us. I cried as I walked away from his suite, I felt horrible. We got him a private luxury suite with a TV, and playtime with other dogs his size and temperament, about 5-6 times a day. We were told he played well with the other dogs. We brought his bed from home, his favorite toys and couple of other things to remind him of home, in hope he will not stress too much.
We dropped him off on Thursday about 1 pm, and picked him up on Sunday about 2 pm. We did not visit him at all, but we did call the facility everyday to check on him. Each time we called they told us he was fine, eating well, sleeping well, and etc. When we picked him up, he was overjoyed to see us. He was perfectly OK, and his usual self. It's been 2 days since we've been home and he's still OK.
If we had to use this boarding facility again, I think we would. Perhaps it makes a difference if the owner lived on the property. One thing though, we would always reserve a private suite, no matter which facility we use. The barking noise from other dogs that were caged, was unbelievably loud, and we were so glad he had a private suite. He is a small dog ( 8 months old and about 8 lbs ) and I'm not sure how he would've handled that noise. I'm relieved everything turned out OK.
I'm relieved too! Good news! And thanks for the update.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM

621 posts, read 1,424,795 times
I'm sure many of you won't like this, but it benefits all dogs to learn to be boarded away from you. Some day your pet might have to go stay somewhere, someday your pet may have to be hospitilized and stay for days. If your dog has had the experience before, it won't be so stressful for them.

Allow your pets to learn to live a couple of days without you! Pick a good facility, do your homework beforehand. You really will be doing your pet a service! Unfortunately too many owners think their dog will just die if they leave them.... it's simply not the case. The vast majority do just fine, they eat, play, sleep, they accept new people and new situations. They are better dogs all around and better adjusted.

And for heavens sake... don't sit at their gate weeping when you drop them off! Just what do you think you are conveying to the dog? Give them a good pat on the head, hand over the leash and leave. Don't give the dog something to worry over.

Just my experience and advice ... took care of others pets for over 30 yrs. and for the most part, we had a ball doing it!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,296,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
I'm sure many of you won't like this, but it benefits all dogs to learn to be boarded away from you. Some day your pet might have to go stay somewhere, someday your pet may have to be hospitilized and stay for days. If your dog has had the experience before, it won't be so stressful for them.

Allow your pets to learn to live a couple of days without you! Pick a good facility, do your homework beforehand. You really will be doing your pet a service! Unfortunately too many owners think their dog will just die if they leave them.... it's simply not the case. The vast majority do just fine, they eat, play, sleep, they accept new people and new situations. They are better dogs all around and better adjusted.

And for heavens sake... don't sit at their gate weeping when you drop them off! Just what do you think you are conveying to the dog? Give them a good pat on the head, hand over the leash and leave. Don't give the dog something to worry over.

Just my experience and advice ... took care of others pets for over 30 yrs. and for the most part, we had a ball doing it!
Awesome advice!!

In regards to the noise of the dogs barking, chances are you created that and typically they are quiet. Where I work we can board up to 200 dogs and 14 cats. I can walk in at 2:00AM and no one makes a sound. They most likely were barking because of the "intrusion" if you will of you and your family arriving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs