Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM

146 posts, read 313,643 times

Advertisements

We'll be boarding our 8 month, 8 lbs dog, during Thanksgiving week for 4 nights. This would be his first time sleeping away from home, and we're worried about it. The boarding facility is only a 5 min. drive from the place we'll be staying at. Should we go check on him each day or will that make it worse for him? Also, many times we have left him at home alone for 5-6 hours with no problems, only the TV on as background noise. Thanks.

Last edited by justnice; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I don't know...I've never boarded my dogs but I'm curious...you're only 5 minutes away...are you staying in a not dog friendly hotel or with relatives who aren't fond of dogs?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
interesting situation. personally I would want to see him every day for peace of mind. maybe take him on a walk, play with him, take him for a ride in the car. anything to break up his day and then safely return him to the boarding facility. If I had to be put in a cage away from my family I would be happy to see them each day. It would give me hope and something to look forward to. But maybe dogs don't think that way. check with the facility if you would be permitted to check him out every day. I understand your concern.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I understand your concern, but it totally depends on the dog. Some are more resilient then others so it is a case by case situation. If it is going to get his hopes up that you're taking him with you and then he gets anxious when taking him, I would say no. Imagine your 5 year old child on the first week of school, all new stuff. Would it help if you showed up 20 minutes later to take him/her for a donut and then take him/her back to school?

If the boarding facility is set up so you can stop by during playtime and look through a window unnoticed, try that avenue instead.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM

146 posts, read 313,643 times
We'll be staying in a hotel that does not allow pets ( we're going with several other families ).
The boarding facility was refered by the hotel, and we're renting him a 8x8 luxury suite with a tV, so he'll have planty of room to move around. Plus he'll be included in the doggy daycare where he'll get the chance to mingle with other dogs his size. We're thinking of seeing him once a day, probably in the evening, but we're wondering if that will get him too excited. Anyone had an experience like this?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
No experience with this specifically but in general I think dogs are more relaxed once they get over the initial "are they coming back for me" fear. If your dog hasn't been boarded before visiting may help him relax. Perhaps call and see how he is doing and then take it from there.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
Yes you should absolutely visit him. If you don't want to get him over-excited, make your visits very relaxing and low key. Don't go in squealing and making fast movements. He'll calm down after the initial excitement of seeing you walk in. Give him a slow massage.

Go visit him (if for no other reason) to check and make sure his area is clean, he seems to be in good health, that sort of thing. Your dog will also be given better treatment if the employees at the facility know you'll be around!! It is human nature. They'll step it up a notch knowing you will be monitoring the situation - even if they already normally do a great job.

Your dog's age, the boarding set-up you've described, and the short duration of his stay all bode well for you. This should probably work out and be a healthy part of your dog's development.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM

399 posts, read 704,967 times
If it were me, I'd be going to visit my dog. I hate having to board my dog anytime, but if I could go and visit when I board my dog, I would. Take that opportunity and go. Stay calm so you don't over excite the dog but give him reassurance that you're still around.

It's horrible when we have to board them in cages. We need better ideas for those of us that have pets that need to travel at times and can't take our pets with us. I know, don't have a pet, but I just couldn't do without my dog. She is too precious and I guess that is one of the sacrifices I make is not going anywhere if I can't take her with me. Such is life. Enjoy your trip. Best to you and your dog!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'd hate to disappoint my dog over and over, day after day.

It would break his heart thinking we came to get him, only to leave him again and again.

I'd wait until I was ready to pick him up for good.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I'd have to agree with Hopes. Dogs have very little concept of time. Our Golden greets us with the same enthusiasm if we've been gone for an hour or several days. Compare this to the look of disappointment they give when they don't get to go shopping with us or even taking out the garbage, when we leave through the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs