Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

So my sisters dog is a glutton he'll wait until everyone is in bed and eat anything that isn't bolted down. I always remember hearing "Don't feed the dog chocolate, or he'll die". This dog on more than one occasion has eaten chocolate, and I'm not talking about a piece here and there. He put down a whole pan of brownies in one night. So my question is can and do dogs get sick eating chocolate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Some dogs are more sensitive to complications from chocolate consumption than others. And then also some types of chocolate are more likely than others to cause problems.

Chocolate seems to be the most well known food-toxin for dogs. But there are many other common "people foods" that pose health risks for dogs. I have heard avocados, grapes and raisins, onions, and some nuts are quite dangerous! And of course any gum or candy containing the artificial sweetener xylitol.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Dark chocolate has more of the substance, Theobromine, than milk chocolate so if that's what the dog has have eaten, that is why it has not been affected. Like any toxin, its much to do with the weight of the animal v how much of the toxin it ingests. Not saying you should give chocolate to dogs, but a large dog like a lab would have to eat pounds of milk chocolate or brownies (which are more flour than anything else) to be injured. If you, like me love the 70%+ percent cacao dark chocolate, a few ounces could be a problem.

Theobromine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM

24 posts, read 33,973 times
Thanks for your information, i was ignorant of that. Recently i bought a small size staffordshire bull terrier and i would have given it a chocolate any day without knowing its a toxin for it. Now please help me more with some details which i should give my dog and which i shouldn't.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Dangerous Foods That Dogs Should Never Eat - WebMD Slideshow

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I had heard that it had to be a pound of the dark chocolate but I am sure it would depend on a number of factors. If we had a pound of dark chocolate, I doubt there would be any left by bedtime! I think the dog that OP is talking about needs to be crated before it does eat something that equates to its last meal by default. Also, if a glutton, there is the chance it will eat inedible things.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:28 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach
Some dogs are more sensitive to complications from chocolate consumption than others. And then also some types of chocolate are more likely than others to cause problems.
Thats what I am thinking because several years ago one of my greyhounds ate my chocolate easter bunny out of my basket!! (A huge sized one) and ate other chocolate also over the years.........

I always thought it was THE CHOCOLATE MIX that caused problems (If Xylitol was used,etc) not the chocolate itself..... And after seeing her eat all that,I wondered if my thoughts were right..

I have heard if Xylitol is in something they eat it will most likely be a bad experience because thier system cannot digest that......

Old 12-08-2016, 03:35 PM

483 posts, read 418,462 times
As with meds, go by weight and size and dosages.

Big dog, less poisoned effect.
Small dog, more.

Also it could be a cumulative effect.. means down the road, can have kidney failure.
(My soul dog died from kidney failure and I remembered sharing chocolates with him as a kid throughout the years.. so no matter how much Roman is interested in chocolate, I never give him any as much as I love him and dun deny him food if I am eating meats or bacon etc.. also no grapes, onions etc.. )

P.S. no internet in the 80s.
And I love my soul dog.. and that's back at my country where even vets (so basic knowledge of the "nono" is not there) are hard to find.. my dog got vet care though.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
We had a beagle growing up, and she would get into everything. I mean, my brother placed his Christmas stocking full of candy on top of his tallest dresser and she JUMPED up & dragged it down, ate a hole through the bottom of the stocking, and ate all of the chocolate candy.

It was nothing immediate for her, but she died a little young (11 or 12 I think) because of all of the crap she ate.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Im so sorry

They dont know whats not good for them im afraid......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs