Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,774,924 times

Advertisements

My golden once ate an entire bag of Hershey's kisses, wrappers and all. He had poop issues for a few days. At least his poop glittered, so that was the upside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
It's cocoa you need to watch out for. You know like that unsweetened cocoa you get in powder form? You drop even a hint of that, if the dog licks it up, it's done.

Chocolate isn't good for any creature, not even humans. We just don't eat enough of it (I surely hope not anyway) for it make us sick. But chocolate can make any creature sick.

Mainly, however, do not let your pets have any cocoa, not even by accident.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,168,963 times
Never give a dog chocolate, it is a known toxin for them. I do also know some dogs that have eaten chocolate, even on a regular basis and nothing happens to them. Most of these dogs started on the chocolate very early on when they were puppies, so I don't know if their system had a way of tolerating it or developed a way to tolerate it, either way just stay on the safe side and never feed a dog chocolate.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 AM

965 posts, read 940,151 times
I have friends who lost their 5 pound dog to brownies. The brownies were on the table, and the dog got up on the table. They never knew exactly how many she ate, but it wasnt a lot, except it was too much for a 5 pound dog....
They rushed her (vomiting, and at some point seizing) to the emergency vet, but it was too late.

Even for my big dogs I keep chocolates in the fridge. I have a "bad cat" who will knock things on the floor, so I just don't take chances.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
As with meds, go by weight and size and dosages.

Big dog, less poisoned effect.
Small dog, more.

Also it could be a cumulative effect.. means down the road, can have kidney failure.
(My soul dog died from kidney failure and I remembered sharing chocolates with him as a kid throughout the years.. so no matter how much Roman is interested in chocolate, I never give him any as much as I love him and dun deny him food if I am eating meats or bacon etc.. also no grapes, onions etc.. )

P.S. no internet in the 80s.
And I love my soul dog.. and that's back at my country where even vets (so basic knowledge of the "nono" is not there) are hard to find.. my dog got vet care though.
Exactly. I share my Christmas and Halloween can't with my Great Danes. The only side effect I've had is ecstatic dogs

Old 12-18-2016, 08:10 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,685,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's cocoa you need to watch out for. You know like that unsweetened cocoa you get in powder form? You drop even a hint of that, if the dog licks it up, it's done.

Chocolate isn't good for any creature, not even humans. We just don't eat enough of it (I surely hope not anyway) for it make us sick. But chocolate can make any creature sick.

Thanks for that tip! I wouldn't dream of giving chocolate to our pups (Tribbles at 50 lbs, Lil Guy at 12 lbs) but I often drink hot cocoa made from unsweetened dark cocoa powder, and it hadn't occurred to me that spills can be dangerous.
Lil Guy will hoover up anything I spill or drop from the kitchen counter.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 AM

965 posts, read 940,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Yes, this is how my friends lost their small dog, a lot of dark, unsweetened cocoa powder in their brownies.

Also, dark chocolate is much worse for dogs than milk chocolate, which is probably why some dogs survive eating chocolate.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
It doesn't necessarily kill them, but it can still make them very sick. Someone told me their two dogs ate a pound of chocolate and had the runs for a couple of days.

I suspect that a former neighbor's kid gave chocolate to our two dogs (to deliberately poison them, not to be friendly) the day after Halloween, because they suddenly had diarrhea. Fortunately, it didn't last and they recovered fully. But I had no way of proving it, or even of knowing for sure. if I ever live near another toxic kid like that I would put hidden cameras all around.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times
Im glad your doggies were ok

Old 12-18-2016, 09:40 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,453,137 times
Had a dog that loved chocolate mini donuts. Never saw any negative effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs