Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times

Advertisements

I'm avoiding all forums consisting of words like "iggy' or "protection" because I just don't care to argue ...and regardless of someone elses views i still have my own. ....so NEW SUBJECT!

So how far will your dog run w/ you in good weather(70-80's)
What kind of dog and age?

...Cody runs 5 miles w/ me daily ...in fact we are about to go for a run now.
He can only run 2-3 miles w/ my husband as he runs way faster then me(my run is my husbands walk I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
When Shadow was younger she would run 10 miles with my husband in the mornings AND go bike riding with us another 5-10 miles in the evening. She still had waaaaay too much energy.

Now that she is 4 and spent 2 years in a cooler climate, she prefers to wait until the temp is 80 or lower to go running. Pretty hot here in FL for a black dog to be exerting in that manner.

She & my husband love to run together. When she sees him start to stretch she will get right next to him & stretch herself. It is pretty funny to watch. The keep an even tempo, and the last 1/4 mile they race. Shadow beats him every time.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
When Shadow was younger she would run 10 miles with my husband in the mornings AND go bike riding with us another 5-10 miles in the evening. She still had waaaaay too much energy.

Now that she is 4 and spent 2 years in a cooler climate, she prefers to wait until the temp is 80 or lower to go running. Pretty hot here in FL for a black dog to be exerting in that manner.

She & my husband love to run together. When she sees him start to stretch she will get right next to him & stretch herself. It is pretty funny to watch. The keep an even tempo, and the last 1/4 mile they race. Shadow beats him every time.
sounds like my husband. They race at the end as well.
When cody sees my running shoes he brings his leash to me while jumping around in circles.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
I honestly have no idea how far we go! lol! Now that you brought it up I'm kind of curios though! I'll figure it out and edit my post later today or tomorrow. I do know how long we walk/ jog though. We own three American Pit Bull Terriers, Brooklyn is our 1 year 6 month old, 48 pound male, Jayda is our 11 month old, 42 pound female and Destiny is our 9 month old, 38 pound female. We take them on 2-3 45-60 minute walks/ jogs a day. We normally walk half and jog half, or we will take them on 2 walks and 1 jog, it all just depends on the weather and what all is going on that day. We take them to the beach a lot as well. We try to take them to the beach at least 3 times a week, for a nice long walk, if not to play for a few hours. Also, we live across the street from a nice new park and about 2 miles away from the dog park, so we take them to the parks when we have a chance. For their daily walks/ jogs we normally walk them around the block, out of the neighborhood, across the street and through the park. So like I said, I'm not sure how far we go, but our dogs get between 90 and 180 minutes of exercise a day. Even with that though, they still have loads of energy all day long! lol!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

Wow! 15-20 miles a day! Our dogs would LOVE that, but there's no way I could do that! lol!

I know what you mean with the Florida heat! Like I said in my last post, we take our pups for 2-3 45-60 minute walks/ jogs a day, it all depends on the weather though. They get their morning walk before it gets too hot out, today we left for the walk at about 6:15am. We normally leave for the morning walk sometime between 6:00am and 7:30-8:00am. If it's a cool day, 80 or below, we tale them for a walk around lunch time as well. Then they go on their "bedtime" walk. Depending on what time we are going to be that night we walk then sometime between 7:00pm and 9:00pm. We try to walk them early enough to where they can relax for an hour or so before bed. All of our walks all depend on the weather though.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I'm avoiding all forums consisting of words like "iggy' or "protection" because I just don't care to argue ...and regardless of someone elses views i still have my own. ....so NEW SUBJECT!

So how far will your dog run w/ you in good weather(70-80's)
What kind of dog and age?

...Cody runs 5 miles w/ me daily ...in fact we are about to go for a run now.
He can only run 2-3 miles w/ my husband as he runs way faster then me(my run is my husbands walk I think).
5 miles!? Wow! I'm sure Cody loves that! I really have no idea how far we walk a day, but I would guess it's less than 5 miles.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
5 miles!? Wow! I'm sure Cody loves that! I really have no idea how far we walk a day, but I would guess it's less than 5 miles.
We have a morning walk too! It consist of coffee and flipflops

We then run at night or the late afternoon if it's cool(fat chance in florida).

Cody loves his runs ...he never stops!

We also have a soccer game at night ....he always wins
He stels the ball and laughs in my face

Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

570 posts, read 1,819,936 times
My older Pomeranian is a 1 year old, will be two in December. He will walk the full 2 miles that I take him on and will probably keep going if I walked a little longer. My 11 month old Pom could care less about walks. He is satisfied with going around the corner, eating some freshly cut grass, and rolling and flipping around in the grass. Its cute most of the time, but gets irritating if I'm trying to keep a steady pace going. He will walk about 1-2 miles with me as long as I pick him up a few times in between so he can get a break. He will lay in the grass and wait for me to pick him up and if I pull him, he will start rolling around.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times
Lady, APBT, will do 10 miles w/ me biking...5+ miles w/ me walking.

Abby, Border Collie, will do a few miles walking.

If it's over 85 and high humidity we usually hit the valley and stay out of the
direct sun...Lady HATES the heat....can't say I blame her.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Here are a couple of shots of Shadow & I heading out for a bike ride. Shadow loves biking.
Attached Thumbnails
how far does your dog run w/ you-bike-pics-025.jpg   how far does your dog run w/ you-bike-pics-026.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs