Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,835 times

Advertisements

I lost my (rescue) dog months ago to disease, after 15 years. I have been looking for a new rescue companion in the months since, and I have been shocked, appalled and dismayed at the lack of communication from rescue groups. I am looking for a young golden/lab retriever or retriever mix, and I have contacted rescue groups by Facebook, email and/or phone (some of them don't have phone numbers on their websites) regarding specific dogs on Petfinder or their websites and the lack of communication from these people is unbelievable. I am trying to reach local as well as national groups (I am willing to adopt in my home state or drive out of state, 5 miles or 500 miles is OK for the right dog), and there's no consistency. They all SUCK at following up with potential adopters.

By the way, I am an attorney, with a high income, no kids, no other pets, fenced yard, own my own home, I am a DREAM potential parent for a rescue dog. And these people can't get their act together to follow up?

I am about to give up on adopting and contact the local retriever society for a retriever breeder referral. That is how fed up I am. I understand that these rescue groups are run by over-tired volunteers and that they have limited resources, but don't blame people for buying dogs when it's next to impossible to adopt one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,232 times
I wouldn't generalize all are one way or another. Consider for a moment that people are very over worked, they work full time and many have full time rescue commitments, such as taking care of abused animals, being the process of trying to catch a stray they have heard about. The list goes on. So just because they don't get back to you in a timely matter don't be calling them all unreliable flakes. I find that insulting. You try doing that job, its very difficult, people always calling, idiots moving and wanting ya to take their dog at the last minute, and none ever offering a dime or ever think of volunteering their time. It gets very frustrating. Also I do blame people for buying from puppy mills rather than getting dogs through shelters. The puppy mills should be closed down through very aggressive national legislation.

You fail to mention your location. If you are in the midwest area I can recommend a shelter, they have sent dogs far away for a quality home.

Ask for Lori.
Town & Country Humane Society

Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,362,870 times
People will tell you that rescue groups are all volunteer and frequently take up toi several days to get back to potential adopters...but I have had trouble with them NEVER getting back to me. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for that. Unless they want to keep increasing the number of dogs in their homes, they will have to get on the ball. An inquiry about a specific dog is what people in the sales profession call a "buying signal" -- and very often, those signals fade very quickly.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,865,963 times
If the sole purpose of these groups is to find a new home for unwanted animals I cannot understand why they wouldn't be responding to every call or message within 24 hours. That seems counterproductive. Interesting.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
yes this is exactly why some dogs end up dying before they are placed because of the lack of response from the rescue group or they make you jump through hoops and oh to the op ..puppyseeker be prepared to get told no because you are an attorney you work too many hours will be their response I can almost guarantee it . I was told no because I have health issues and they must think Im on the cliff with the other foot on a bananna peel because I told them I have diabetes and they must think that I will die any minute from that ...LOL Im serious I did get told that once or maybe three time and then there was so many more excuses and reasons as they call them . I finally gave up and went through my friends and found two little chihuahuas who needed me and I needed them . One was left in a wire pen and used for a breeder and she was scared of everything when we got her . I have also fostered before and what a nightmare that was and the one dog that I was fostering I wanted to adopt and was told okay but the fee will be 500 .00 . 5oo for a foster ? ugh no i cannot and will not pay that she came the next day and removed the chi from my home I was so angry and distraught . I quit the foster system at that point . dealing with these agencys is a total nightmare and I just finally gave up . I wonder how many dogs have died at the hands of so called fosters and rescue groups ?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,232 times
Shelters have people that answer phones during office hours, rescues are different. These people have to work to keep a roof over their heads like everyone else. You think they don't have plenty out of pocket expenses, vet bills, food etc. Its not so easy getting donations either. You people that have never done this job should just not post about something you don't know about.

I do agree they should try and get back to people in a timely manner, but do consider their situation and show some compassion. They are doing something to help, what are you doing? Anything self-less at all? Its real easy to criticize. Why not do something to help rather than sit and complain.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,823,508 times
Have you actually submitted an application? Forget the e-mails and telephone calls. Submit an application. That would likely garner some attention. It doesn't obligate you to anything. Of course, they'll most likely only respond if the application is deemed acceptable. You don't have to mention a particular dog, but state on your app that you're open to a dog in the immediate future that they believe would be a good match for you. They may refuse you one dog, but may have another that would be a better fit.

By the way... what is your location? Perhaps someone here can refer you to a reputable rescue/shelter/whatever.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,589 times
Most rescue groups do an outstanding job but
I have been in touch with some crazies too. What a mess this pet situation
is here in the southern states.
My hat is off to anyone working rescue , how heart breaking it must be.

in our area I am convinced some people that call themselves rescuers
are really in it to make a little money on the side.
that is why it is very important to look for
rescue groups that have their 501 status.

this means they have been willing and are
organized .

it is a hard job but the rescue groups should take a hard
look at each other , there are hoarders in between.

I agree that mills should be shut down but would add
the byb's. around here they add hugely to the dogs
sitting at the pound.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,362,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Shelters have people that answer phones during office hours, rescues are different. These people have to work to keep a roof over their heads like everyone else. You think they don't have plenty out of pocket expenses, vet bills, food etc. Its not so easy getting donations either. You people that have never done this job should just not post about something you don't know about.

I do agree they should try and get back to people in a timely manner, but do consider their situation and show some compassion. They are doing something to help, what are you doing? Anything self-less at all? Its real easy to criticize. Why not do something to help rather than sit and complain.
Oh, boohoo. Rescuers are too busy working to put a roof over their heads to return a phone call from someone interested in adopting one of their dogs? Not an excuse. You ask, what am I doing? I was trying to adopt one of those dogs they're fostering. I never got a call back, not after calling and not after emailing. If you're unable to perform the tasks associated with a volunteer job or any other job, then don't do it.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,874 times
Have you tried you local city pounds and shelters? They usually have rows and rows of dogs just sitting there waiting to go home that same day. They get new dogs in on a daily basis and you can stop by as much as you want to check out any new dogs that came in. You can also leave your number with them and tell them to call you asap if a particular breed or mix that you may be interested in comes in. Relying too much on the internet can put you at a disadvantage when it comes to people getting back to you, and the available dogs posted still being updated and accurate.

Years ago, when I walked into my city pound, I adopted a purebred Italian Greyhound on the spot. You would be surprised at what you can find in your local pound, especially in larger cities.

Private "rescues" are totally unregulated and can be anyone from a hoarder, to a dog flipper - you just never know who you are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs