Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times

Advertisements

[quote=B4U;28743021]I'm sure the statement in green refers to my last post. Here's my county laws regarding dangerous dogs:
Laws for Pet Owners

Dangerous Dog Laws
and furthur restrictions:
Section I
A new Animal Control Ordinance was adopted by the Board of County Commissioners in January, 2010 and continued the requirement to spay/neuter adopted cats and dogs from the DAS shelter as well as declared Dangerous Dogs. Highlights of the law old and new are:
Additions or changes to the law:
  • Tethering Regulations - dogs may only be tethered if a person is outside with the animal and can see the animal at all times; dog must be 6 months of age and healthy (no illness) and must have access to shelter, shade and clean drinking water; tether must be manufactured for use on dogs, must be 5 times longer than dog's body length, must weight no more than 1/8 the dog's body weight and must have swivels. (please view law for complete list)
  • Dog Enclosure Definition - this defines the minimum amount of space that should provided to a domestic animal; the formula is dog's measurement from nose to base of tail squared and dvided by 144; Example: 30-inch-long Labrador would require 3,600 inches of space.
The Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMESChapter 828
ANIMALS: CRUELTY; SALES; ANIMAL ENTERPRISE PROTECTION
828.26 Penalties.
(1) Any person who violates the provisions of ss. 828.22-828.26 and any rule associated with these sections shall be subject to an administrative fine of up to $10,000 for each violation. (2) Unless otherwise provided, any person who violates any provision of ss. 828.22-828.26 commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. (3) Nothing in this section precludes the enforcement of s. 828.12, relating to cruelty to animals.

Although it does allow for "enclosures" my HOA however, does not. Nothing, not even a cat can stray or be out unsupervised or unleased.[/quote] I guess you missed what I've again stated, now in purple.
The point being, my community has taken every step possible to AVOID the op's incident from happening, and put teeth in the penalties to the owners on first incident and owner and dog thereafter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
I must be missing something here.

The Rottie's fence blew down. OK.

But the other dog was in an unfenced area, too, and presumably not on leash.

Just because the neighbor couldn't afford to help fix the fence doesn't absolve her of her own responsibility to keep her own dog fenced.

You take care of your own, imo.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM

373 posts, read 644,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My former neighbor had a rottweiler that jumped partly over her fence and nipped my neck while I was mowing next to it. It wasn't major as far as I was concerned, but another neighbor saw it happen and called the police. Police showed up, asked me what happened, looked at the mark on my neck and wrote up a report. She was charged, had to go to court. I even gave her a ride, as I had to go too, to testify as to what happened.

I told the judge I wasn't upset about it and wasn't looking for anything, as the neighbor and I had always been on good terms. He didn't care. He considered the dog a threat and ordered my neighbor to destroy the dog, find a home for it outside the city limits, or build a second fence at least four feet inside her current fence. I just bring this up, because you could be looking at something similar, in addition to your neighbor's loss.

If that dog had jumped the fence (or knocked it down) and killed my small dog, I'd have wanted the dog destroyed. No ifs, ands or buts. I'd want total reassurance that it would never happen again. As mentioned uptopic, what if it had been a child in your neighbor's back yard. You've got a problem besides a bad fence.
This! We had this happen in our neighborhood last year. Same breed...what a coincidence. Once it killed the first dog it was a menace wanting to attack every dog. Neighborhood officer asked them to destroy dog before it came after him or his dogs, or he would shoot it in the head.

Pick a better breed next time. Labs are happy nonviolent dogs.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,502 times
[quote=sparrowmint;28743667]. If it was a small dog, it might not even be classified as "dog on dog aggression" but nothing more than a predator/prey relationship, akin to if the Rott saw a rabbit, squirrel, cat, groundhog, or anything similar. Large dogs with significant prey drives often don't even recognize little dogs as dogs. They're just prey, like a rodent. Dogs are animals with instincts, and there is no instinct more hardwired than prey drive in a dog that has it. [quote]

I wondered if this would be brought up. When my chihuahua mix was a puppy, one of her puppy schoolmates was a Leonberger. You can imagine the size difference! With a group of people standing nearby, the Leonberger picked up my puppy and threw her in the air. She squeaked and I scooped her up immediately (The teacher later scolded me for "making my puppy afraid") I would imagine if we all hadn't been standing there, this much larger dog could have killed my tiny dog. There was absolutely no aggression intended. I've always been convinced that the big dog thought mine was a squeaky toy. Do you know that the rottie was actually attacking aggressively? It's entirely possible it was play gone too far.

I feel so bad for all of you involved, and hope everything works out in the best possible way.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Oh please. I've known more than a few severely dog aggressive Labradors. I have a severely dog aggressive Australian Shepherd, a breed not known for that at all. There are dog aggressive dogs in all breeds and in all shapes and types. There is nothing inherently wrong with a dog being dog or other-animal aggressive [they are animals, stop treating them like they are people with the brains and cultural standards of people], it just needs to be recognized and controlled by the owners.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
So sorry this happened to your neighbor and to you. What a horrible frightening painful death for the little dog. What kind of little dog? I ask because two dogs of a rather calm breed, labs, killed a teacup chihuahua in my community. Not a fan of those tea cup dogs but if they're here they should be protected just like any...well, even a mouse or rat (& I've known a few nice ones of those too). This little teacup was always in the house. One day after a cookout with friends at the house the owners couldn't find her. They put up signs in the neighborhood. Eventually, a guy across the road went over and told the owners he finally put two and two together and thought the animal he found in his backyard that looked like a squirrel the dogs had gotten was likely their teacup chihuahua. What a horrible thought. The thing is those labs had an electric fence but seem to have gotten out in their excitement. I do know they are not walked anywhere anywhere even nearly as much as they need to be. Too much pent up.

Pets can be like children. They seem fine. Then get them with even one more. Different dynamics. Get them with a change in scenery. Say, a newly fallen fence. Maybe they were left alone more than they like, exercised less than they need.

In our area it's not as bad as just a mile away across the county line. Here you get a 2 bite law. I think after one, you have to have a sign up about your vicious dog. This family has one on the garage now you can't read from the street. There are exceptions, depends on the damage etc.

And the family with the teacup chihuahua moved. Just too sad to stay.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
Quote:
BULL! ive met more human agressive and dog agressive labs than ive ever met a truly agressive Rotty.
Just as most people assume rooties are "agressive" based on their high drive
they also assume that all labs are sweet innocent "great family dogs"

yet most labs come from bad breeding and are high energy unfocused nippy balls of crazy...never ASSUME!

i know many labs and id say i dislinked 8 out of 10 i worked with...they were all nutz, they were also al badly bred...

yet ive never met a rotty i didnt like, i know many rotties doing therapy work, working as service dogs, one who does a reading with kids program and has kindergartners climbing all over her leaning on her ect 3-4 days a week and loving every moment...

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,316 times
Quote:
This! We had this happen in our neighborhood last year. Same breed...what a coincidence. Once it killed the first dog it was a menace wanting to attack every dog. Neighborhood officer asked them to destroy dog before it came after him or his dogs, or he would shoot it in the head.

interesting advice coming from a person who appears to hate their own lab, based on your other thread regarding it "stealing" your son's food.

OP, take this person's advice with a grain of salt, she doesn't know the first thing about dogs.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Oh please. I've known more than a few severely dog aggressive Labradors. I have a severely dog aggressive Australian Shepherd, a breed not known for that at all. There are dog aggressive dogs in all breeds and in all shapes and types. There is nothing inherently wrong with a dog being dog or other-animal aggressive [they are animals, stop treating them like they are people with the brains and cultural standards of people], it just needs to be recognized and controlled by the owners.
Agreed! My dobie/rottie/boxer/GSD/mutt is the sweetest, most gentle dog ever - unless an aggressive dog crosses her path. She has a small scar from where my son's golden retriever snapped at her when she was a puppy. My son can't walk through the house without my daughter's doxie barking and lunging at him. You just can't pigeonhole breeds.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Is this the fence between your yard and your neighbor's back yard? Generally when the fence between your house and neighbor's house needs fixed, it involves both you and the neighbor. So maybe that's why she was saying that she wished she'd been able to afford to help fix the fence. If the fence is half hers, and you and she both had dogs in the backyards, then it's not entirely your fault and it shouldn't be entirely your responsibility to fix the fence.

We do have high winds here sometimes. Probably 1/10 of the houses in my neighborhood had fences blow down in the last big wind that we had, and none of those fences are more than 8 years old, most newer than that. There are always a lot of dogs running free here after that happens...I worry about the little guys because there are packs of big dogs that live in the brushy areas around my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs