Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times

Advertisements

I regularly go on Craigslist and freecycle and always see people 'selling' their old pets. (or ones they are 'bored' with). I know sometimes we have to get rid of a pet but some of these people seem to have lame excuses.

1) allergies (why would you have a persian cat to begin with if you have allergies?)
2) So and so is a GREAT dog but doesn't get along with my other 4 dogs...Puffy is a 2.5 year old Husky I've had since a puppy.... (what, sick of dealing with a big dog? Why'd you get a big dog to begin with?)

And there are breeders selling animals on there, also. If you are really worried about where Tippy is going and you're hearbroken, why are you asking $250 for him? Isn't it better he goes to a good home?

It seems like pets are nothing here..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 PM

216 posts, read 829,946 times
I depise CL. I stopped reading it long ago. But unfortunately, the trend isn't new. People have always gotten rid of their pets for stupid selfish reasons.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
I got ripped to shreds on a pet website for telling one of "those" people what I thought. Poor girl, moved to where she can't have pets and mom's new house does not have enough room for a min pin. Mom will take the dog to the humane society on Sat if I can't find a home. Dog is well taken care of, has not had shots. Dog was 6 in one post and 8 in another. Oh, and dog barks. Anyone want to come to Iowa & get her? I will be heartbroken if she goes to the shelter. Blah, blah, blah.

No room for a min pin? Please. Too stupid to sneak a small dog into your place while you find it a home?

I feel that there is absolutely no acceptable reason to surrender a pet. Animals are living creatures who have feelings. People that move to where they can't take a pet and then whine about the fate of their poor dog/cat are an abomination to me.

O.K., getting off of my soapbox now.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 PM

216 posts, read 829,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I feel that there is absolutely no acceptable reason to surrender a pet. Animals are living creatures who have feelings. People that move to where they can't take a pet and then whine about the fate of their poor dog/cat are an abomination to me.

O.K., getting off of my soapbox now.
I'm with you on that! I would never, ever get rid of one of my pets. The ones that p*ss me off the most are the ones that get rid of their old dog or cat...the pet has given them unconditional love and companionship for its entire and now that the twilight years are here they face the ultimate betrayal. I don't know how people can live with themselves.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,310 times
Asking $250 isn't even a lot of money, about the same as many rescues. Some rescue/shelter are cheaper but thats the base price for rescue. I would much rather see someone asking a small fee for their pet then giving them away for free. Sometimes people put a small fee and then when the find the right home don't charge that person and tell them to spend the $ on the dog instead (like things the dog will need). I was talking on another forum with someone who does this and I have done the same. A Pit mix we found a home for my husband told them to keep the money and get him the things he will need, but we made sure it was a good home first and that they would not only pay but could properly care for him. Instead of someone who see "Free Dog" and takes it for bad intentions or on impulse.

I understand in some cases, some people really can't keep their pet anymore. There are many legit reasons to rehome and in some cases the dog is much better off in the new home where it gets ample time and attention. Other times like when the lady got rid of her apricot poodle because it didn't match her new couch? WTH!

To a lot of people pets are disposable.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I got one of my cats from former coworker who developed an allergy to her. I guess it happens. Someone who has never had a cat before and gets a kitten to make her daughter happy, that sort of thing.

I did hear of a pug and a small terrier about 7 years of age being dropped off at a vet in PA to be put to sleep because the owners wanted to get some puppies. That made me very sad.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,872 times
yep....my daughter never had a problem with any of my dogs or cats until she was 12. I got a GS and her allergies went haywire. To try and maintain her health It took LOTS of vacuuming and thankfully I was a groomer so I had the facilities to wash the dog every week. But it was really hard and in the long run I wound up giving the dog to my sister because it was just too much for my daughter.

So...it happens.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,310 times
That what I think, sometimes it happens. People develop allergies or sometimes allergies only to a certain animal. Cats make me get sneezy, but a few don't and some do it far worse then others.

I understand if its for a good reason. We got a nice "old" dog (about 6 or 7yrs old) a long time ago that was being given away free. We knew the people and saw the lady putting up a flyer. They were moving to the city, a small apartment, no pets allowed, her husband was changing jobs, ect. They didn't want to give the dog up but there really isn't much options when financial stability is so important. She missed the dog and wrote us letters, sent cards on his b-day. Said she still cried sometimes since they had to give him up. Not every owner wants to do it.

Others have stupid excuses! Killing an animal because its 7 and you want a pup? STUPID.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Totally idiotic people in this world who feel everything is expendable except for themselves. It's too bad. The problem with most of these people are that they don't think things through, weigh the pros and cons of a specific breed, figure out their budget, plan out where they will even live or wipe their own behinds, or just buy something impulsively. When someone called out who wants more 'fool points', they thought they heard 'cool points' and asked for more.

They will probably get reincarnated into expendable pets in their next life.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
I hope that these people who get tired of caring for a pet as the pet gets bigger and ages will get what is coming to them when they get old "Grandpa just isn't so fun anymore. I guess we'll put him in a nursing home..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs