Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times

Advertisements

From the numerous threads that I have read here and on Dog Forums - Your #1 Pet Forums for all dog breeds and needs., it sounds like the longevity, poopy smell/consistency, dog health, allergies, skin problems, etc are less with premium dog food.

Solid Gold
Eagle Pack
Canidae
Innova
Natural Balance

I guess I will be returning the "Nature's Recipe", unless you all tell me otherwise. Is that one really that bad? Can I buy the premium bag on the next 'grocery run'?

I definitely want to buy something that aren't byproducts of scraps and junk that I wouldn't want to eat - if I were a dog/pet. I just was overwhelmed by all of the things that I had to buy and I didn't research dog food before I saw several aisles of dog food bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Nature's Recipe is a great dog food. I supplement my dog's raw diet with it strictly for vitamins - they probably don't get a half cup a day - but the ingredients list is pure, with no additives, preservatives, coloring, wheat or corn. The ones you have listed are ultra premium foods. My dogs never did well on Canidae or Innova, although we couldn't figure out why.

Dog food is by and large a personal preference...personal to the dog. I have a friend who would love to feed the top notch stuff but her dogs have....ummmm....intestinal problems on it, and strangely enough, skin problems. The only thing they've been able to stick with and not have any problems is the high grade Purina (Pro Plan, maybe?).

If this is for your foster, be aware that many of these foods are protein dense and may be a little too rich for a puppy's stomach. You can cut them a little bit with cooked oatmeal or barley. Also, if it's for your foster...don't price yourself out of the market. Many people will not be able to or want to afford the highest of the high. There's one premium I would love to feed but can't due to cost (which is a large portion of why I feed raw) - with 7 dogs I'd need at least one more job.

Maybe I missed another post, but what is the problem with Nature's Recipe? Asking an honest question here - I can't use your link, it wants me to register - and I don't need another registration to anything!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Maybe I missed another post, but what is the problem with Nature's Recipe? Asking an honest question here - I can't use your link, it wants me to register - and I don't need another registration to anything!
I read in one post that someone stratified food as The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

The Dogs Dinner: All You Wanted to Know About Food For Fido - GlobalPaw - Dog Communities and Dog Forums

It put Nature's recipe in the Bad

Quote:
The Bad
Well, they aren’t BAD, they just don’t quite make the A grade cut. No-one should look down on you for feeding this to Fido and Spot, its good, just not the best. Dogs will do well on these.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Thank you for the info....hmmm....maybe I will reconsider since my dogs get such a small amount daily and raw is the largest part of their diet. Have to look into this one some more to figure out what's not Grade A about it - I would suspect the protein content?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
If you go with Eagle Pack, get the Maturity Formula. I can't recall exactly what it is, but one ingredient in there prevents the rust stains from the tears appearing on the face. Excellent food, all domestic and yes it has corn that is cooked in a three step process, so it's not like corn you'd find in utilitarian foods.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If you go with Eagle Pack, get the Maturity Formula. I can't recall exactly what it is, but one ingredient in there prevents the rust stains from the tears appearing on the face. Excellent food, all domestic and yes it has corn that is cooked in a three step process, so it's not like corn you'd find in utilitarian foods.
I read that about Eagle pack, too. I also read that about Solid Gold (that reminds me of that dance show from the 80s) and Canidae.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,853 times
BARF is the best and most natural. Right now we are feeding commercial dry with added foods. Once we get a new freezer we will return to the BARF diet.

Those are some very high quality feeds you listed though. They are very good for your dog.

I have noticed that pedigree poo seems to stink a lot. We can always tell who feeds pedigree at the dog shows, their dogs poo smells bad.
Diamond poo gets hard and dried out. I've noticed comparing it to my dogs, when I'm not here to clean up after my dogs (on vacation) the dog sitter doesn't poop scoop. The poo is gone pretty quickly even if no one picks it up. Dogs I've seen on Diamond the poop gets hard and white and builds up quickly, they poop a lot and if its not picked up the waste just stays around. So much waste and indigestible crap it in is why. On the BARF diet it will be a little bit slimy at first and then get to where its hardly nothing. It dissolves into a dust almost right away. Reminds me of snake poo.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:27 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I've read that corn is to be avoided, that it's a filler and nothing more because dogs don't digest corn.

Have I misunderstood that about corn?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've read that corn is to be avoided, that it's a filler and nothing more because dogs don't digest corn.

Have I misunderstood that about corn?
If the dog has no allergy to corn and the corn is cooked/baked the right way, it's no problem at all. You do not want it as the first ingredient nor do you want corn gluten as a "protein" source. That is how so many grocery store (brands you find at the grocery store, Walmart etc) get away with saying "high protein", it's not from a meat source; chicken, fish, lamb, turkey etc. , it's from wheat gluten, corn gluten, etc.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Thank you for the info....hmmm....maybe I will reconsider since my dogs get such a small amount daily and raw is the largest part of their diet. Have to look into this one some more to figure out what's not Grade A about it - I would suspect the protein content?
Sam, can you explain your raw diet for you dogs and where do you get it? Do you do it yourself? I know one lady who orders it special. I wanted to see if it's cheaper than dry dog food. I know it's better since dogs are naturally predators..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs