Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,028 times

Advertisements

We got a new dog from the shelter the other day. He is presumed to be a 2 year old border terrier mix. Our current dog is a 3 year old chihuahua, lab mix. The first day the dogs got along great. They ran around for hours (literally) playing in the yard. This afternoon the new dog started biting and attacking the old dog. By attacking I mean he just comes up to the old dog and pounces on him biting him. It's not play fighting, or at least the old dog doesn't think so.

Is it possible the new dog is jealous or is he just trying to establish dominance? Now the old dog is afraid of the new dog and doesn't want to be around him. Is this something the dogs need to work out on their own or is there a way for us to intervene? When the new dog snaps at the old dog I clap my hands loudly and tell him no and he stops and puts his tail down. It seems like he knows he did something wrong but I don't know why he's still doing it. Also when they play, the new dog will bite at the old dog's legs. I assume this is just play biting but now I'm not sure.

I'd really hate to bring the new dog back to the shelter but my current dog's happiness comes first. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I know a sister/brother pair of Labs that bite each other's legs all the time, totally in play.

As to the rest of it, I think it's great that the new dog stops when you clap and say no. Terrific, actually. Why does he do it again? He's testing you to see if he can get away with it *this* time. I think that you're absolutely right that the new dog is trying to establish dominance. They have to figure out their own pecking order, and they will. This new dog has only been there since "the other day" -- waaaaay too soon to have worries.

If I had to guess, your old dog and new dog are going to be best buddies in no time.

Also: what are their names and we'd love to see pictures of them. Especially the chihuahua/lab (wow!!!) mix.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Border terriers are not common dogs in the US and typically owned by enthusiasts so I doubt that your new dog is a BC mix...BUT terriers (and some herding breeds) tend to have a very bossy style of play, and going after the legs is common. It is both a herding technique (heelers and Aussies for instance herd by nipping the heels and rear legs) and as a prey thing - going after hamstrings in larger prey to bring them down.

So it could be "dominance", an annoying but common way of playing and interacting, or a combination.

I've had several dogs that play like this and it can be very irritating to a dog who isn't used to this type of play! Hopefully your resident dog will lay down the law but in the meantime I agree, it is awesome that new dog responds so quickly to your clapping and intervention.

I think they will be fine. Stay on top of you being the Grand Mistress of Intervening In Annoying Play and make sure your resident dog gets some space and extra love and reassurance.

With all my foster dogs in a multi-dog house I have started out letting New Dog understand in no uncertain terms it is the lowest of the low in terms of pecking order and privileges such as getting on furniture or getting anything first must be earned; they are not entitlements.

I am also quite interested in seeing what a Lab x Chihuahua looks like, let alone the mechanics involved in achieving such a mix LOL.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,186 times
OP, if there is any way for you to share a video of the concerning behavior, that would really help us to analyze and assess.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks DawnMTL and chiroptera! I hope you both are right about the dogs being able to work through this.

I'm not sure if the older dog is a chihuahua, lab mix but we were told he was a chihuahua, boston terrier mix but he doesn't look anything like a boston terrier at all. Strangers always think he is a lab puppy so we just figured he was a chihuahua, lab mix. There's probably all kinds of breeds in him like the new dog. The new dog's face looks kind of like a dachsund(sp?) and a german shephard with floppy ears so I really don't know what he is either but the shelter told us border terrier mix.

The old dog is not really used to playing with other dogs. That's one reason we wanted another dog so he could have a dog to play with. He usually likes to be dominant when he does meet other dogs so I'm not sure why he's letting the other dog be dominant. He just backs away when the new dog wants the same toy as him or wants to lay on his bed.

We figured we should treat them both the same to keep any jealousy at bay but maybe not...

Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
OP, if there is any way for you to share a video of the concerning behavior, that would really help us to analyze and assess.
I will try to take a video of it tomorrow and hopefully I can figure out how to post it.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Thanks DawnMTL and chiroptera! I hope you both are right about the dogs being able to work through this.

I'm not sure if the older dog is a chihuahua, lab mix but we were told he was a chihuahua, boston terrier mix but he doesn't look anything like a boston terrier at all. Strangers always think he is a lab puppy so we just figured he was a chihuahua, lab mix. There's probably all kinds of breeds in him like the new dog. The new dog's face looks kind of like a dachsund(sp?) and a german shephard with floppy ears so I really don't know what he is either but the shelter told us border terrier mix.

The old dog is not really used to playing with other dogs. That's one reason we wanted another dog so he could have a dog to play with. He usually likes to be dominant when he does meet other dogs so I'm not sure why he's letting the other dog be dominant. He just backs away when the new dog wants the same toy as him or wants to lay on his bed.

We figured we should treat them both the same to keep any jealousy at bay but maybe not...
I would not let New Dog get away with too much, like pushing Resident Dog away from his bed or toys, I really wouldn't. Not at this point, anyway.

Again, ND needs to learn some ground rules and not thing he can run roughshod over everyone. If RD won't set any rules, it's up to you, chickie.

Dogs are not egalitarian creatures; and ambivalence about who is who and who is in charge and who is not in charge can be disorienting and distressing to them. Ground rules and hierarchy will be reassuring for everyone. Treating everyone as "equal" isn't how dog minds work.
As an aside, hierarchy isn't the dominance v submissive thing, it tends to be more subtle and fluid with dogs.

Google NILIF, also.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
I've experienced this before and it's about being very firm. When the dog no longer is play fighting, yell NO, grab the dog and put him on his back making eye contact. Keep him in that position until you can let go and he won't try getting up. Within a month the problem will be gone.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,657 times
Happened here.Both old now and good friends.
Took a little over 6 months for the new one to be a good boy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs