Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Hi to you smart folks!

I've got a question for you. As most of you already know, Artie's had numerous poop problems (most of them being soft poops) but that's all been taken care of. He's been consistently pooping firm ones, with the exception of when he's had a stomach bug and then antibiotics cleared it up.

This one is interesting, though, but maybe the "problem" is actually easy to see. It just seems counter-intuitive to me, although maybe it does make sense.

Here:

We recently moved from a single-family home with a fenced-in yard to an apartment back in my hometown. Where we lived before, he ONLY went out in the yard -- no walks. He's almost 10 years old so he didn't get a lot of exercise in that yard -- he'd go out, he'd do his business, he'd lay around, maybe chase a squirrel if one was around, but no real exercise.

* When his only outside time was in the yard, with little exercise, he pooped once per day. Sometimes he'd even skip a day. On the rare occasion, he'd poop twice, but that was a novelty.

Since moving, we have no choice: we go on walks, typically four times per day. We don't walk far, just a few blocks and back, but it's more exercise than either of us did in the last two years.

* Since this move and the walking, which has been just over a month, he's been pooping twice per day at least. Many days, he "donates" THREE poops.

No food changes. He's not stressed from the move -- I know that because when he's stressed, his poop is soft. In fact, I think he's liking this change -- he enjoys the walks and he's becoming a "normal dog" and instead of lunging and barking at people, he actually INTERACTS with them. (Amazing.)

It seems counter-intuitive (to me) that he'd poop more, but maybe not? Is the additional exercise the reason? When there was no exercise, was his body just absorbing the food? I don't understand the elements of calorie and fat absorption, so maybe you can enlighten me if that's the case.

There's no real "problem," per se, I'm just mostly curious as to the reason for the additional poops.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Let's see, no sign of stress, no blood in the stools correct? Guess what? Artie IS normal

All kidding aside it is not uncommon when fed a proper diet for dogs to move their bowels 2-3 times a day and yes with getting more exercise, his system is becoming regular.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
As you know, I inspect everything that leaves Nanners' body in the interest of catching problems early so as to keep the vet bills manageable. Before we both adopted our "walk more and lose weight in the process" lifestyle, she defecated (sorry, can't bring myself to use the "p" word... I'd much rather use the "s" word) once a day. Since the exercise regimen kicked in, she's defecating two to three times a day on LESS food. Same food (Avoderm and a small serving of canned pumpkin) with the only addition being a Pet Tabs Plus b.i.d.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Seriously, my boy is normal????? FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
Yep - my girl eats twice a day and poops twice a day like clockwork. Canada must agree with Artie, or maybe it is new found fame!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Dawn, I'm sure you are aware that people doctors advocate exercise to help keep us regular and to keep "things moving". I've found it definitely works for me. When I'm a slug my body kinda shuts down too. Artie is doing what comes naturally. So happy to hear he is enjoying life and you are happier with his behavior. Change does not have to be bad.

Toby is only 6 lbs and the little guy poops almost every time he takes a walk- about 4-5 times a day. I was astounded he could poop so much with only 2 small meals a day but he goes at least 3 times a day pretty regularly. I think it's good for him. Lucy on the other hand is 11 years old and weighs 15 lbs and she goes definitely once a day and maybe twice but rarely. She and Toby go on walks together and are fed at the same time and the same thing. Dogs are as individual as people.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
As you know, I inspect everything that leaves Nanners' body in the interest of catching problems early so as to keep the vet bills manageable. Before we both adopted our "walk more and lose weight in the process" lifestyle, she defecated (sorry, can't bring myself to use the "p" word... I'd much rather use the "s" word) once a day. Since the exercise regimen kicked in, she's defecating two to three times a day on LESS food. Same food (Avoderm and a small serving of canned pumpkin) with the only addition being a Pet Tabs Plus b.i.d.
Jack, you know me... I also prefer the "s" word.

So very interesting. It's the exercise that's making them p/s/d more. Fantastic! Really! I'm thrilled that Artie's body is doing what it should be doing.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Yep - my girl eats twice a day and poops twice a day like clockwork. Canada must agree with Artie, or maybe it is new found fame!
He's going to start talking French soon, T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Dawn, I'm sure you are aware that people doctors advocate exercise to help keep us regular and to keep "things moving". I've found it definitely works for me. When I'm a slug my body kinda shuts down too. Artie is doing what comes naturally. So happy to hear he is enjoying life and you are happier with his behavior. Change does not have to be bad.

Toby is only 6 lbs and the little guy poops almost every time he takes a walk- about 4-5 times a day. I was astounded he could poop so much with only 2 small meals a day but he goes at least 3 times a day pretty regularly. I think it's good for him. Lucy on the other hand is 11 years old and weighs 15 lbs and she goes definitely once a day and maybe twice but rarely. She and Toby go on walks together and are fed at the same time and the same thing. Dogs are as individual as people.
You're right. It does make perfect sense. YAY!!! Thank you!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Feed him some poutine once in awhile fercrissakes.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Feed him some poutine once in awhile fercrissakes.
Bahahaha! You know how Artie is, though -- it comes out looking the same as when it went in. I can't have that image burned into my retinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs