Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,910 times

Advertisements

So my neighbor's dog (a 1 1/2 year old German Shepherd) is obnoxious. The neighbors don't have a fence, and their dog darts out of the house all the time. Mostly he (Silaski) gets loose if he sees my dog out in my fenced yard. Then the neighbors run out, start yelling at their dog to come (which of course he doesn't) and chase him back and forth around my fence until they finally corner him (this often takes up to five minutes).

So I have two problems. I know I can't do anything about their dog (they haven't done any training with him, he's insane), but I'd like to solve the issues with my dog. First off, I'm afraid that Callie (my dog, a schipperke puppy - 9 months old and trainable) will get bitten through the fence by Silaski. And secondly (and this I'd like help with), she barks her fool head off the instant he approaches the fence. So for up to five minutes my dog is running along the fence with the other dog, barking so loudly and piercingly you'd think that she was being torn to shreds by the other dog. It happened this morning when I let her out - I'm sure the other neighbors will not be happy about all that noise at 7 am. I don't see the point in chasing her around shouting like the neighbor does - that's just going to create more noise!

Can you think of ways I can work on making my dog less reactive to the neighbor's dog coming to the fence? I know the neighbor enough to speak to her. Maybe I ask that we take a few training sessions to have each of them on a leash, her inside the fence, him out, working on ignoring each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
put yourself between her and the fence, or leash her on a long line, when she start screaching atthe ence "enough" and remove her form the fenceline i you have to, either by body blocking (staywith he untill sh eturn away and refocuses) or by gently leading her away rom the fence by the long line leash. reward when shes quiet (LOTS OF REWARD) schkips can be "yappy" little guys but there alos very smart, so when she realies only quiet getsher the praise/treats shell learn pretty quickly.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
put yourself between her and the fence, or leash her on a long line, when she start screaching atthe ence "enough" and remove her form the fenceline i you have to, either by body blocking (staywith he untill sh eturn away and refocuses) or by gently leading her away rom the fence by the long line leash. reward when shes quiet (LOTS OF REWARD) schkips can be "yappy" little guys but there alos very smart, so when she realies only quiet getsher the praise/treats shell learn pretty quickly.
Yeah, unfortunately it means taking her outside in the yard on the leash all the time, waiting for the other dog to get loose. And mornings I have absolutely no time! But I guess there's not much of a choice since they can't control their dog.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Any chance of you and the neighbors walking your dogs together now and then? The more familiar they are with each other, the quiter they *may* be. If they could run up and down the fence with just occasional yaps instead of insane barking, it would actually be a good outlet for both of them.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Any chance of you and the neighbors walking your dogs together now and then? The more familiar they are with each other, the quiter they *may* be. If they could run up and down the fence with just occasional yaps instead of insane barking, it would actually be a good outlet for both of them.
I don't really want to know my neighbor well enough to go on walks with her (actually, I almost never see them walking their dog). I've talked to her before, and she's said she's afraid to let her dog near mine because he plays really rough with their other dog (a Rottweiler puppy: yes, they can't control their one dog, so they went out and got another huge dog they won't be able to control ). But maybe I can convince her to let them meet, or to work on opposite sides of the fence towards desensitization.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
you could always get a scarecrow sprinkler...they are motion detecting sprinklers that go of when an animal of any kind crosses the sensor path...set it up by the ence, itll give a spritz to your dog if he gets too close to the fence (thus eliminating the barking at the ence issue) PLUS itll go off if the niehgbors dog comes running towards the ence (and automatically aims itself in the direction of motion) whihc should quickly teach their dog to stop runing toards our fence or alog the fenceline...
unfortunalty itl also not descriminate and give the neighbors a god spritz if there chasing the og up and down the fenceline But mabe that would help train them to control thier dog better LOL!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs