Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,186 times

Advertisements

I had picked up a 2.2 lb bag of Innova kitten food and mistakenly left the open bag in a spot where the dog could get into it. I wasn't sure until today that it was him that got into it. I thought it might have been one of the other cats. I'm not sure how much he ate but it was quite a bit.

This happened last night. This morning he didn't really want his food but he did eat it. He has drank a ton of water today and had a lot of pee. Just a little while ago he threw up several times. I'm assuming it was him who got into the food and that's what's causing his symptoms.

What should we do? Should we take him to the vet tomorrow or just wait it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,428 times
I would definitely wait it out. Pretty sure the vet would tell you the exact same thing and then charge your $$ for that advice.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
There shouldn't be anything that harmful in it. It might just be a little rich for him. Or, it could be something completely different that's bothering him. If he still isn't well in the morning, call the vet for advice. I would give him a little rice and boiled meat for his breakfast. It will be easier on his stomach.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
We have two very healthy and not fat (well no fatter than 5 years ago) cats and a younger small dog.

The cats have free feeders with lbs of food. They do not over eat.

The dog however is control fed.

If his meal gets a few hours late...you find him at the cat feeder.

Does not like it. Does not normally eat it. But if good and hungry...he purrs.

Happens only every few months but he eats cat food and walks away.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
Your dog will probably be fine. Kitten food is very rich and that is probably what made him sick, but there is nothing in kitten food that is bad for a dog to eat.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I'm sure he'll be okay once it's all out of his system. Hope he feels better!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
What kind of dog do you have? The fat content is not much higher than their puppy food, so unless you have a micro mini dog you should be safe from pancreatitis. The protein content is however much higher which is sending signals from the kidneys to the brain to bring more water in to flush kidneys out. If it has been more than 24 hours and the dog is not displaying any symptoms, then all should be well. If in doubt call a vet and ask over the phone as none of us to my knowledge are vets.

Also, is the bag of food on the recall list that occurred between mid-March and mid-April?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 29,158 times
Reform your cat food management routines immediately! lol!

Otherwise, I concur with the others on this thread. Watch him like a hawk for about three days, but he'll almost certainly be OK.

Let us know how he did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs