Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,616,192 times

Advertisements

We adopted a chihuahua from the pound almost two months ago. She's the sweetest, most affectionate little creature. The vet guessed she was anywhere from 2-3 years old. The problem is she is urinating everywhere, even in her crate at night. She's taken out to the bathroom before putting her in her crate for the night. We work from home, so she's taken outside to the bathroom every hour and shown constant affection. She knows the word "out" and why she's taken out.

We've also gotten a black light to check the floors to see if there's any dog markings from the previous owners. Nada.

She's also never had babies (the vet told us from her nipples).

I don't understand why she is doing this? Does anyone have any training tips? This is such a shame because she's perfect in every other way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,948,023 times
I'd take her back to the vet because it's certainly something if you're taking her out so much. They can do a urinalysis and other tests. Smart idea using the blacklight!

Does she happen to drink alot of water. Alot meaning more than 1 oz per pound of body weight? (roughly). I don't think it's training to be honest. It may be why she was turned in to the pound and nobody knows she has a medical problem.

Measure out how much water you are putting in her bowl then how much she drinks in a certain amount of time for your vet, a little helpful clue maybe.

For now you can diaper her if you have to. They do sell teeny ones. Simple Solution Fashion Disposable Diapers x Small 12ct | eBay

You have to clean her with wipes when you change her or they get irritated. Also it's NO SOLUTION but canned food they urinate less because they drink much less but I don't believe in switching food and all that goes with it for a short term medical problem.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,616,192 times
Thank you for your advice. We've begun picking up her water around 7pm. Not sure exactly how many ounces. We'll see what the vet says. Thanks again.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,948,023 times
I would not pick up the water, though. That is really only masking the issue, annoying as it is . Drinking excessive water (in case she is) can be a clue to disease diagnosis. I''m NOT saying she has a disease, just that masking the drinking might not help and only make the vet's job harder. (and most of those diseases they usually are older anyway). I would just throw a towel in the crate and swap it out for now. It could be a urinary tract infection. Even a bacterial infection there. Example:

Dog Urinary Tract Infections and Problems

And 7 is VERY early,IMO. If she's on dry food it requires alot of water and you have to factor it in. Most people who pick up water do so at the last walk, 10 or 11 PM.

OH if you hold a paper towel under her you can see how much is coming out and if it's brownish or whatever. When you're walking her every hour. If a tiny bit is coming out it' s another clue.

Yes, your vet can help. Good luck! She needs help and I'm sure you'll find it.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM

857 posts, read 2,221,423 times
Is she awake or peeing in her sleep?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,525,130 times
Small dogs can be a little harder to house train anyway. You should make sure she doesn't have a medical problem, but it could simply be that she was never trained and is more comfortable going inside. We had a Yorkie that we got when she was very young and we never could get her completely trained. She would go outside now and then but didn't hesitate to go indoors if she felt like it, it was very frustrating.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,442,188 times
I suggest paper training, with pads. This seems to work better for small dogs. We had a Pom, who was impossible to train, she finally, went on pads.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,450,609 times
I tend to think that it might be a urinary tract infection and would have her checked for that. Is she actually squatting or leaking?, a couple of mine leaked and once they were on the right meds, they were fine (they'd be sitting in their dog beds and would get up and there w/b a big wet spot, they had no control and didnt even realize it happened). I think they were older at the time though, prob. youngish seniors, it may not be that at all for your girl but it's just a suggestion but the UTI sounds like it might be that. Is she spayed?, I think the leaking sometimes happens in spayed females (v unspayed) but Im not sure, anyway just a thought.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM

523 posts, read 841,639 times
Sounds like it could be medical since she is peeing the crate. Most older dogs won't do this if they are taken out regularly or she could have anxiety issues.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,468,127 times
If she was in the shelter a long time, she may have lost her natural instinct to keep her crate clean. If you have a divider for the crate, make it smaller for now, or see if you can borrow a smaller one. Checking for a UTI is a good idea, but if her urine is clear, she may have forgotten (or never really learned) her housebreaking. Dogs in their natural state don't necessarily empty their bladders all the way. They "save some up" for marking, for one thing. One of my dogs, who's much bigger than a chihuahua took a couple of months to re housetrain after coming from the shelter. I took her out every two hours and she'd still have accidents if not carefully supervised. Checked her for a UTI, but she was fine. A chihuahua has a much smaller bladder, so she could feel the urge to go a little after an hour, until you "reprogram" her. Are you treating her when she goes outside? And hustling her out if she starts sniffing around, or starts to squat? BTW, my shelter dog has not had a single accident in the house for over two years now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs