Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,946,577 times

Advertisements

She might be ok if you put a big tupperware type container out there with a blanket, some toys etc. THEN she may let him go to the vet.

Just say so she's not laying on concrete or whatever. Once she sees the dog in a snug blanket it may help. Good luck. You can ask the vet if it's cheaper to hold him for the county if he doesn't have a relationship with the county. The vet has a big freezer for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,252,170 times
I know many, many people whose dogs are buried in their gardens. We have one in our yard from before I moved here. Well, after 20 years, I'm sure he's not there anymore. People will post about zoning and fines and bla bla ba, but I wouldn't hesitate to bury a dog on my property if that's what I wanted to do. Just dig it deep enough--the depth necessary for humans which is 6 feet down. When you fill it with dirt, put HUGE stones over the body to prevents animals from digging to it.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,427,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know many, many people whose dogs are buried in their gardens. We have one in our yard from before I moved here. Well, after 20 years, I'm sure he's not there anymore. People will post about zoning and fines and bla bla ba, but I wouldn't hesitate to bury a dog on my property if that's what I wanted to do. Just dig it deep enough--the depth necessary for humans which is 6 feet down. When you fill it with dirt, put HUGE stones over the body to prevents animals from digging to it.
When my friend's pony was put down, her parents said "screw zoning" and rented a backhoe, dug a hole and toppled the pony in.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM

30,691 posts, read 16,335,972 times
and keep it away from the well, if you have a well.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,573,665 times
Just a word of caution, (and sorry to make you face a nasty reality) I want you to realize that the vet or the county workers won't take the dog's body and humanely bury it somewhere, it will end up at your city dump, tossed in like a pile of trash. If your mom lets the vet "dispose" of it and finds out later that it was thrown in the dump, you might be the one accused of pressuring her to get "rid" of it. I'd prepare a hole in the ground behind your mom's house and when she's ready to say goodbye, the gravesite will be ready.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,298 times
Another vote for cremation. We recently had one of our dogs PTS and she was cremated. In my area, there are several human funeral homes that also offer pet cremation. We paid $80 for the cremation (based on weight). The vet charged $75 to deliver her to the funeral home, but if your brother is willing to take the body, you should only have to pay the cremation charge. I think it's a nice, dignified thing to do, and your mother may find comfort in having the ashes. Personally, we are planning to scatter the ashes, but I know lots of people keep the ashes.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,288,535 times
Maybe call an animal shelter, or the humane society. They might do it free considering your Mother is elderly and on a fixed income. Give her the ashes.

I wouldn't get her another dog....She is elderly and may not have the energy.

Get her lifeline, or an alarm system...Or move her in with you or your brother is you are worried for her safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs