Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM

840 posts, read 1,121,750 times

Advertisements

I have always liked Dobermans but lived in apartments for years. I recently bought a house and now have a backyard to play with a dog. Before closing on my house, I had to secure homeowner’s insurance and pay for the insurance at closing. When I received the insurance documents I saw that it states no Dobermans allowed. What do people with Dobermans do? I don’t know if insurance companies refuse to insure or they charge a higher premium? I t’s not like I’m looking to get a dog that is vicious. I want one for companionship and toparticipate in agility and obedience classes.

I was going to look at the adoption groups and breeders fordogs. One breeder’s website had a questionnaire to fill out if interested in buying one of their puppies. One of the questions concerns homeownersinsurance restrictions on owning a Doberman. I’m sure the adoption groups will want to know that as well.

Kinda bummed, because I finally have a house and I can’t get the dog I want.

Last edited by Whyrallnamestaken; 06-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: formating was weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times
People are so ignorant; that's why this happens. Dobies are terrific and gorgeous dogs. The fact that some people used to overbreed them and train them to attack has generated a breed-specific stereotype. It's so sad. I once knew a Dobie named Rambo. He was a kissy, slobbery lap dog.

You CAN get homeowner's insurance that doesn't have such a restriction. You can't possibly be locked into one specific company, can you? In fact, you can drop your current company at any time, get a prorated refund and go with a different company. Make sure to let the company you're dropping know exactly why you're doing it.

If you have a fenced yard, you will have the least problems of all. Enjoy home ownership, and I hope you can get the pupper you want!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM

350 posts, read 478,062 times
Yes, it's time to go homeowner insurance shopping. You might try an insurance broker who represents numerous companies to do the legwork for you. I've had to do this
for our small farm when we went from 3 to 7 horses, suddenly our existing homeowners dropped us like a lead balloon~!

Just don't go dropping your current insurance until you get another one lined up or you could be in deep trouble with your mortgage company.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
State Farm insures all breeds. There are others, I'm sure.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

735 posts, read 1,585,260 times
I have USAA and have a German Shepherd which is also on the dangerous list. When I signed up they asked if I have a dog that has ever bitten anybody. Which was no. They did not ask. I, then, called (two years later) and asked directly and they said since I voluntarily disclosed I can no longer have an umbrella policynand am now locked into my current liability policy and unable to add more in the future.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Yes, it's time to go homeowner insurance shopping. You might try an insurance broker who represents numerous companies to do the legwork for you. I've had to do this
for our small farm when we went from 3 to 7 horses, suddenly our existing homeowners dropped us like a lead balloon~!

Just don't go dropping your current insurance until you get another one lined up or you could be in deep trouble with your mortgage company.
Correct. We switched homeowners insurance companies several years ago for a different reason, and our new company (like a good neighbor...!) did all the work for us. We never had to notify the other company we were dropping them. It was seamless. Make sure if you do this, you go with a very highly rated company. We love our insurance agent now! One time I asked him if it would make a difference to our rates if we had two dogs, and he didn't even ask their breeds. He just said it didn't matter.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
Wow. This is not an issue for me but I'd be plugged if I'd not look into it if an insurance company restricted what type of pet I owned. Sheesh.

I live in an apartment and chose it because <drum roll> there's NO SIZE RESTRICTION. They say there's a breed restriction, 'no aggressive breeds,' but get this, we have shepherds, pit bulls, dobies and mastiffs here. Hmm. I dunno what is restricted. It's a very pet friendly place with a dog park which is why we chose it. When I owned my home if my insurance company told me I couldn't have the pet of my choice I'd have told them I'd have the insurance company of my choice fast.

The whole concept of 'dangerous' or 'aggressive' breed makes me angry. As the animal control officer told me once, 'if it has teeth it can bite.' Arrruuuggh. I can get on a soap box here. My mixed breed dog is a little more aggressive than most dogs so I've taken pains to train her well, she's very obedient and well mannered. It's all about knowing your dog and training.

I hope you find another insurance company and a perfect dobie friend for your new home

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

840 posts, read 1,121,750 times
At the time I decided on insurance for my house, I didn't even think about a dog being a problem. I did use an insurance broker though. I will call them and see what they find out. I got a good rate so I hope it doesn't increase much.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,122,327 times
We've owned houses and had dogs for more than thirty years and have never ever been asked if we have pets...and I'm not volunteering any info either.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Yes, check State Farm. They were the only company to insure me with Rottweilers when I lived in Colorado.

Luckily here in Michigan insurers are prohibited from discriminating against homeowners purely because of the breed they own so it will vary from state to state.

Keep calling around and I sure hope that you are a: in an enlightened state and b: find a sensible homeowners policy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs