Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,376 times

Advertisements

I think routine is good to a certain extent but no need to be OCD about it, for example:

Typically once i start winding down and no im going to be be going to bed very soon I will let my dogs out for the last time, this could be at 11pm or 3am, depending on how late i stay up that particular night. Either way no matter what I let them out first thing when i wake up in the morning, whether it's 6am or 9am. But generally it's around 7. Any adult dog should be able to go at least 6-8 hours at night time without using the bathroom unless they have medical problems.

It's not really rocket science. You could also do well to learn that dogs can be inconvenient at times and that doesn't change whether you are the healthiest or sickest person on earth.

Also, I hate to lecture but it sounds like you need to learn how to communicate with your husband When you marry someone and they have a dog, that dog also becomes your responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
BTW I am not a dog owner. My husband is a dog owner and I am the reluctant spouse of a dog owner. I needed to get rid of my cat after he got the dog. He claimed that he would walk it/take care of it/ etc. etc. but at age 61 he is like a little kid who begs for a dog and then doesn't walk it, feed it or take it to the vet.

I disagree, if my husband goes to sleep at 3 AM or 4 AM and chooses to sleep until noon that it is my responsibility to walk his dog when I get up and then for it's mid day walk. I believe that I mentioned that I am physically disabled with rheumatoid arthritis.

Shouldn't the non physically challenged person, who actually owns the dog be taking the dog outside?

"And you shouldn't be sleeping in and waking up randomly either." So, the wife can't sleep until 7 AM or 8 AM (my sleeping late) while hubby can sleep until noon. Are you married? Do you sleep until noon?

Obviously, I disagree with your points.

But back to the question, if he takes the dog outside at 3 AM would the dog be able to hold it to "after 8AM" so that the dog doesn't wake me up when I'm trying to sleep? The dog doesn't always seem to be able to hold it from 11:30 until 8 AM.
This is a marriage problem with a poor innocent pet in the middle of it.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
I think routine is good to a certain extent but no need to be OCD about it, for example:

Typically once i start winding down and no im going to be be going to bed very soon I will let my dogs out for the last time, this could be at 11pm or 3am, depending on how late i stay up that particular night. Either way no matter what I let them out first thing when i wake up in the morning, whether it's 6am or 9am. But generally it's around 7. Any adult dog should be able to go at least 6-8 hours at night time without using the bathroom unless they have medical problems.

It's not really rocket science. You could also do well to learn that dogs can be inconvenient at times and that doesn't change whether you are the healthiest or sickest person on earth.

Also, I hate to lecture but it sounds like you need to learn how to communicate with your husband When you marry someone and they have a dog, that dog also becomes your responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is a marriage problem with a poor innocent pet in the middle of it. My only advice is marriage counseling.
Probably yes, but my question was answered, by a dog can usually "hold it" for 6 to 8 hours at night.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Probably yes, but my question was answered, by a dog can usually "hold it" for 6 to 8 hours at night.
If your two year old dog can't hold it for 6 to 8 hours at night, take her to the vet. She might have a urinary tract infection or some other physical problem. At her age, she should be able to hold it for 6 to 8 hours in the middle of the night. If she can't, taking her out in the middle of the night isn't the solution. Get to the root of the problem.

If she has finds no physical causes, agree to a schedule and stick to it. If the strict schedule doesn't work, then it's a behavior problem that resulted from inconsistent training. You will need to resolve that with a crate in your bedroom so she doesn't have accidents in the middle of the night BUT you will still need to stick to a strict schedule while she is in the crate at night.

Do these three things in the following order:

Vet Appointment
Strict Schedule
Crate Training

Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I take my dog out to pee right before I go to bed, mainly because I know that I like to pee right before I go to bed. (Um, was that TMI?) I figure the same principle holds. It's not disrupting their routine to give them an extra opportunity to go to the bathroom. I'd say it's more disruptive to their routine for them not to go to bed at the same time every night, actually.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM

793 posts, read 275,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I take my dog out to pee right before I go to bed, mainly because I know that I like to pee right before I go to bed. (Um, was that TMI?) I figure the same principle holds. It's not disrupting their routine to give them an extra opportunity to go to the bathroom. I'd say it's more disruptive to their routine for them not to go to bed at the same time every night, actually.
Maybe "TMI" but I have to agree with you!

I always take my dog outside before I go to bed no matter what time it is.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,482 times
I feel for you OP. I, too, have physical limitations, with an extremely bad back (IE, 6 screws and a plate, and bad pain which causes me to have staggered sleep) I have 2 min dachshunds ages 9 and 7. I let them out before I lay down around 12-1 am. They will sleep usually until 10-11 am, then they go out in our large fenced yard to romp and do their business. the ONLY time they will not sleep thru the night is if they are sick and need to go out sooner. I believe in schedules as well, but having a discussion with the hubby sounds like it is in order. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
When i move into the senior hotel I'm on the waiting list for, I plan on getting a dog and one of these:

Puppy of the Month

Perhaps it will save the marriage LOL!

I agree with a previous poster that your husband would think twice about the extra walk, if he was the one cleaning up the mess. Think Al-Anon for dog owning lazy husbands.

But, truthfully, the fight sounds like a big pain in the butt. Get the indoor potty option, and solve the problem. You and hubby can sleep in, and the dog can go to the bathroom when it needs to.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Likewise. My dog uses the bathroom when the activity level drops from 'active' to 'sleep'. I noticed that my dog will consume more water when I'm awake than when I'm sleeping, just like we do. How many of us would be willing to cut off OUR bathroom use at a set time each night regardless of what activity we are engaged in? Your dog is probably drinking more water while yout awake than when you are sleeping. So, if you walk the dog and go to sleep, eight hours later it may consume some water overnight. But, if you walk the dog and stay awake for a few hours, I bet the dog would have consumed more water until you go to sleep than what it consumed going straight to bed. Walk the dog when you go to bed. If you cut the dog off at a set time, I dare you to cut yourself off at that same time!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
can a 2 yr old dog hold itsbladder for 8 hours without a bathroombreak...
in this case NO because it hasn't been taught to...
a toddler doesn't just go to bed one ight and wake up toilet trained a og is no different, this dog is obviously rather confised and I agree with hopes that this is a MARRIAGE issue with an innocent and obviously confused dog a an innocent bystander.

my take:
you go to bed earlier than hubby (time doent matter)
hubbyin turn stay in bed late and you don't want to be doing the dogs morning walk at 8am...

solutions:
1: crate train the dog...
ifhubby wants him to potty at 11pm and then not again until moring, hubby needs to not rile dog up after last potty break....dog needs to be kept on routein and that routein NEEDS to be last potty then BED...doesn't matter if hubby ist going to sleep, dog should be placed hiscate, told its bedtime and that's that

2: RETRAIN HUBBY...now personaly I think when a married couple get a pet it stops being 'his dog" or "her dog" and beceoms both of your responsibilities...
I mean heck if ou wanted a kid and hubby didn't and you omplained until e gave in...would it them be ok for hi to say "im not taking care of that chid...I didn't een want it in te first place...its YOUR kid...YOU wanted it"
same goes for a pet...
now thismeans you've got 1 of 2 options, you suck it up and take the dog out whe YOU get up...(all dogs need to pe firt thing in the morning...heck I need to pee pretty much the minute I wake up...) or you get the loudest most annoying alarm clock you can find...you setit to go off about 5 mins afteryou normally like to get up...
yu get up your normal time and go to the bathroom...and let the alarm go off...
walk back into the room "oh since your awak the dog NEEDS to go out..."
if the dogs crated the space in which he ca make a mes is restricted (ad if he does its hubbies job to clean up)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs