Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,690 times

Advertisements

Those who support PETA, you might want to look into some of the things they have been doing over all these years.
We may want to believe they are doing all the right things, but it sure appears they are not.
Do your own homework before you send them (or any group) your hard earned money. Be certain you agree with their agendas and their practices.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/us...pagewanted=all

Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
We've discussed PETA many times in this forum but it bears repeating. If anybody has a FB page they should post the various articles about PETA as well. I'm constantly surprised at the number of animal lovers who are in the dark about PETA.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,398,426 times
I've never been a PETA supporter, just because they take so many asinine stands (Sea Kittens, anyone? Look it up.). But I'm curious about why the article doesn't give examples as to what is wrong with these animals that they can't be adopted out? Did they just take PETA's word that these were unadoptable animals or ask any questions as to why there wasn't more of an adoption campaign at this shelter?

I empathize with PETA's stance on this to an extent - I've heard an awful lot of stories about resources thrown at essentially unadoptable dogs and cats, either due to health problems or extreme behavioral issues, while perfectly nice animals get overlooked and fall through the cracks. That said, I can't help but wonder if they are one of those shelters that takes an extreme stance on what qualifies a person to adopt an animal. You know, like the rescue groups that refuse to give any animals to families with young children under any circumstances or houses without fences. That kind of thing.

I remember one representative of a breed rescue group telling me proudly that they didn't adopt any dogs out to families with children under the age of 7. It struck me as utterly inane and arbitrary. I mean, what if someone they gave a dog to had a child? Would they take the dog back? That kind of control-freak policy (rather than case-by-case evaluations) just irritates me beyond belief.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Those who support PETA, you might want to look into some of the things they have been doing over all these years.
We may want to believe they are doing all the right things, but it sure appears they are not.
Do your own homework before you send them (or any group) your hard earned money. Be certain you agree with their agendas and their practices.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/us...pagewanted=all
Warning: Sad content

Here we go. I think you have NO IDEA of the deteriorated level of some of these dogs we're talking about here. Have a look if you have the courage.

I usually avoid this topic but lets get the facts on the record.

This author calls himself an "investigative reporter" but you'll notice the article doesn't bother to "look into" where these dogs come from to begin with. He doesn't even bother to state PETA's mission: "Animals are on the planet with their own agenda, not for purposes of medical research, food, clothing and entertainment."

WHERE are the dogs from?

PETA is not in the business of rescue/adoptions of pet animals, it doesn't operate a traditional "shelter". It's a SMALL group of around 150 perople people and volunteers. it's a political group with the mission to expose and enlighten people about the abuse of animals that goes on in everyday places that we all spend money on. Factory farmed food animals, circuses and other "entertainment", clothing and medical research. You can see where their money goes on their IRS 990 on Guidestar.

I think anti-PETA groups have no idea how animals are treated "behind the scenes".

It believes that as long as we eat animals, go to animal "entertainment", don't change the laws insisting on animal research for humans, and the factory farming big lobbyist businesses run the politics of animals, that the abuse will continue but if we stop purchasing these food animals it will help. This means they promote not eating animals. Or wearing them, or paying for cosmetics that do animal testing that the GOVERNMENT INSISTS ON, or going to evil circuses that do despicable things even torturing baby elephants. Do you go to Sea World and places like that? Do you ever investigate how those entertainment animals live? Why do you believe it's ok to confine animals in zoos? Did you ever research how they get there to begin with?

Did you knowJack Hannah supports and gives keynote speeches at animal experimentation groups?

The last I heard LOCAL "SHELTERS" who are the worst of the worst with the MOST substandard conditions and do an absolutely miserable job with confiscated or turned in animals, call PETA in to perform humane euthanasia. They have awful methods like painful gas chambers.

If you research the North Carolina trial from years ago, you'll find PETA was found NOT GUILTY by a jury of charges of animal abuse because their help was REQUESTED.

Quote:
"Let me give you some background as to how and why we started working in North Carolina. In 2000, PETA was contacted by a police officer who was distressed by conditions in the county pound. We were given photographs which showed one dog drowning in a pool of water, too sick and weak to lift her head, a starving dog eating a dead kitten, and a dead puppy found in the gas chamber shed." Daphna Nachminovitch

Quote:
Under enormous pressure from PETA and its supporters, four North Carolina pounds and shelters entered into agreements with the animal rights organization to improve pound conditions for animals, but county officials refused to budge on the gas chamber issue. PETA began working closely with the shelter that year, pouring over $300,000 into bringing the shelters up to code--even building safe animal housing from the ground up.

Lastly, PETA's biggest detractors are political lobbyists from the food industry and other groups who make money off of the back of animals. They use names like Center for Consumer Freedom

PETA killed 1600 animals last year? How many animals were killed in YOUR LOCAL shelters?

I suggest anyone who wants to help stop PETA from working with local kill shelters has simple alternatives:
  1. 1. Offer to rescue those dogs YOURSELF, including paying all the costs to keep them alive at the vet
    2. Offer to transport them to your no kill shelters
    3. Establish your OWN no kill shelters in PETA's catchment area
    4. Donate funds to these undeserved and underfunded animal control facilities to upgrade their euthanasia capabilities to more humane methods and better, cleaner facilities.
    5. Offer to go down there with your families and WORK in these facilities

Or will you just keep complaining on the internet and not actually DO SOMETHING concrete to contribute to the situation? After all, that's much easier than dealing with it face to face every day.

Are you willing to spend more ONLY PURCHASE "Certified Humane" food? Or do you rush for the sales when chicken is only $.75 per lb?

Who makes your deodorant?

I fully support using Hills vet prescription foods but do you know they do medical testing on animals confined in their labs? Like slicing out muscle tissue and letting the dogs live in a cement cell/metal cage being used as medical subjects?

Don't believe EVERYTHING YOU READ do some research.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-11-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,758,112 times
To me, PETA is a mixed bag. I appreciate their efforts to promote animal rights but I just cant gree with some of their stances. I also do not like the political nature of the group, there is alot of money in PETA and that makes me wonder how much goes to helping the animals and not lining the pockets of the higher ups, who are known to hob nob with the Hollywood and political elite.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,920,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
To me, PETA is a mixed bag. I appreciate their efforts to promote animal rights but I just cant gree with some of their stances. I also do not like the political nature of the group, there is alot of money in PETA and that makes me wonder how much goes to helping the animals and not lining the pockets of the higher ups, who are known to hob nob with the Hollywood and political elite.

Every penny they take in and spend is public information. Create an account here and look at the IRS 990 for yourself.

Guidestar : Display Message

Hollywood people VOLUNTEER to help publicize animal welfare.

The people you buy YOUR FOOD from have political lobbyists. Politics changes law. The ASPCA and other groups do the same things. LOBBY.

Do you think the HUMBLE local rescue group has resources to pay lobbyists to get laws changed?

This is how they finally got the DOWNER COW law passed when Obama got elected. Research feed lots and slaughterhouses. Read about how pigs get poked in the eye with electric prods for fun and chickens get thrown against the walls by psychopaths working there.

Cow Transport and Slaughter | PETA.org

Downed Cow: This Story Will Change Your Life

Obama bans

Watch this video : MEET YOUR MEAT if you dare.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,374,150 times
I'm so way not a fan of PETA, I come from a ranching/farming areas and yes I've met my meat.

Slaughter practices have changed greatly thanks to Temple Grandin one of the most amazing humans alive today:

Temple Grandin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find PETA is an obnoxious radical group with some real wing nut ideas.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,175,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm so way not a fan of PETA, I come from a ranching/farming areas and yes I've met my meat.

Slaughter practices have changed greatly thanks to Temple Grandin one of the most amazing humans alive today:

Temple Grandin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find PETA is an obnoxious radical group with some real wing nut ideas.
I've met Temple Grandin, she is indeed an incredible, empathic and amazing woman who has done amazing work. Growing up on a farm we raised and got to know our meat as well.

PETA disgusts me.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 AM

621 posts, read 1,423,690 times
It's unfortunate that both PETA and the HSUS don't really do what they try to make people think they dog, save pets. PETA does indeed give their mission statement on their website, they don't run shelters, they don't save pets, they are lobbyists pure and simple. They may have done some good things, but their so over the top campaigns, broad brush approach to everything is not good for anyone. mod cutMedical research? My diabetic grandson thanks you for your concern about saving his life over that of a lab rat.

If you wish to send your hard earned money to them, knock your socks off. Just know what you are supporting! The same with the HSUS.... they run those tear jerker commercials, but not much of the money sent in takes care of pets in need.

Support your local shelters. Take the time to research who you send your donations to. Don't be abused and or shamed into supporting something without knowing all the facts.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: orphaned comment

Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
I've had a problem with PETA's tactics for decades.

It would be advantageous for people to also research every organization they think exists for the benefit of animals. That would include your local shelters and the ASPCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.