Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times

Advertisements

As a breeder I have 1 neutered dog that was a rescue another I have a english setter that was given to me has a pinched nerve so will be spayed.
My contract I have spay/neuter clause and have vet contacts so can call on the animal make sure done.Rare for me to send a dog out on open registration usually limited so cannot use for breeding. Unless using for show or I agree that they can breed always make spay/neuter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
A lot of men I know can't stand the thought of "cutting off the dog's balls." Yes. There's even a real product called "Neuticles" which are artificial testicles someone can put on their neutered male dog. "only in America."
Some people let an animal have a litter so their kids can experience "the miracle of birth." Then the kids can experience the everyday miracle of animal abandonment and irresponsbility. Hey, show thema video or something.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Show miracle of birth go to a farm watch a cow or sheep something like that.
Their is videos of dogs whelping all ya got to do is google it.
Then show them all the animals sitting in shelters waiting for homes because people are careless or just want a dog but not spend money on care to neuter/spay. Teach them about how these dogs get put down.

As part of my wife's business we do things for non profits,and did a promo at local shelters that has ADOPT A PET GET FREE TAX PREP.
Plus when weather is warmer will do a ADOPT-A-THON and will as partners do a doggie wash and all to raise money for them.This way more money for them to spay/neuter and send out coupons that give $35.00 off others that are not fixed.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A whole lot of men can't stand the thought of balls being removed. Too close to home. That's why there's actually a product and a market for "Neuticles"- false balls for neutered dogs. Really.
As I say, *everyone in my house is fixed," and I do mean EVERYONE.
Oh, yeah. Ever notice how when the subject comes up in casual conversation just how many men will cross their legs and not even be aware of it?

There was a story several years back about a show dog. He was slow in having both testicles drop, so the owner had one implanted to go along with the one that was there. A year or so later, the second - natural - one finally dropped, and golly, gee, there was this dog with 3 of them! Owner found out when the judge checked the dog in the ring and found the third one. Dog was DQ'd. Embarrassing for the owner, being found out so publicly.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Not the thought of getting neutered it is seeing the needle and knife that bothers me.
My vet said do me but she takes off whole sack but said give me a great deal. Why do I ever go back there? lmao.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
[SIZE=3]With some men it’s the whole “male thingâ€, too close to home I guess. Money is another factor. With all the push for spay/neuter one would think it wouldn’t be so expensive. Thankfully, my area recently opened a spay/neuter clinic and my most recent rescue got clipped for $25 during a special promotion. A few yrs. back my grandson brought me a kitten he found in a ditch. Took her for a spay $130.00. I about had a stroke. [/SIZE]

Quote:
There are also medical reasons that have not been mentioned. I once had a dog with an undescended testicle. My vet flat out refused to neuter him, saying the procedure was too dangerous
I had a horse with retained testicles. Both were removed. Why was it too dangerous?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
My Alaskan Husky/Golden Lab 4 year-old female is spayed, but my Mastiff/Golden Lab 5.5 month old male will not be neutered. It has nothing to do with being irresponsible, and everything to do with the overall health of the dog.

There are far less risks involved with spaying a female, than having a male neutered. Neutering increases the risk of prostrate cancer by a factor of four. Doubles the risk of bone cancer. Increases the risk of hemangiosarcoma. Neutered dogs have also been known to develop hormone-responsive alopecia (hair loss). This is in addition to other problems, such as an increased risk of obesity, adverse reactions to vaccinations, and geriatric cognitive impairment. When compared all that with the risk of testicular cancer for a dog that has not been neutered, it is a pretty easy decision.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
i think we should all spay and neuter our pets no matter if their 6months or 6years, or a mix or a purebreed. animal over population needs to STOP, along with animal cruelty and puppy mills. Spaying and neutering is one EASY way to help this bad bad situation.
some excuses are- "oh well, it's too exspensive" or "my dog won't feel protective anymore" "my dog's a purebreed" "we have heard it's better to do it after just ONE litter" i have spayed all of my dogs and have been a happy dog owner and i know others have been too.
it's not only just good for the dog, you, or your wallet. It's also good for your community. The town you live in pays a lot of money to try to get extra puppies/kittens to the pound. The sad thing is most of the time those animals don't come back out.

so do whats right- and spay and neuter your dogs and cats.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Some people choose to keep animals intact because there is evidence that it may actually be healthier for the animal than to be spayed or neutered.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and there are already threads on that with links to the studies that support this argument.

However any responsible pet owner will ensure that they can keep unwanted litters from occurring.

So it is not always a lazy choice or a cheap choice or a choice due to some psychological issue the owner has, but rather an educated and informed choice that some people choose to make.......

At this point, I would choose to keep a male intact and spay a female around 3-4.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Some people choose to keep animals intact because there is evidence that it may actually be healthier for the animal than to be spayed or neutered.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and there are already threads on that with links to the studies that support this argument.

However any responsible pet owner will ensure that they can keep unwanted litters from occurring.

So it is not always a lazy choice or a cheap choice or a choice due to some psychological issue the owner has, but rather an educated and informed choice that some people choose to make.......

At this point, I would choose to keep a male intact and spay a female around 3-4.
Great post GN. Can't say it any better or clearer than that.
Key words before anyone gets their panties in a knot:
"However any responsible pet owner will ensure that they can keep unwanted litters from occurring. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs