Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

what a GREAT website..... found some treats to try........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 PM

303 posts, read 563,431 times
In my case it was a toss-up. My dog had a heart condition and the Vet recommended it was a toss-up. There could have been problems had I had my pup put under anesthesia. Ultimately, I took my pup to the BEST cardiologist in the state for testing. I made an appt to get him neutered. Two weeks before this he succumbed to a pernial hernia, in part common due to dogs who have not been neutured. So for me, it was a cost benefit analysis. I just came in on the wrong side of things, as he died 2.5 months after I was to have had him neutered. Yes, there were surgeries. I spent $12K in the whole ordeal. I did the best I could.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
Neutering increases the risk of prostrate cancer by a factor of four. Doubles the risk of bone cancer. Increases the risk of hemangiosarcoma. Neutered dogs have also been known to develop hormone-responsive alopecia (hair loss). This is in addition to other problems, such as an increased risk of obesity, adverse reactions to vaccinations, and geriatric cognitive impairment. When compared all that with the risk of testicular cancer for a dog that has not been neutered, it is a pretty easy decision.
The risks of cancer are highly disputed, and even studies that support the theory of increased risks are not as exaggerated as this post makes it out to be. Most studies show zero increased risk of prostate cancer. A few studies, generally accepted as flawed, suggest there is a 50% increased risk. As prostate cancer in non-neutered males occurs in 0.9% of the male canine population, even this increase is miniscule. Risks of hemangiosarcoma and bone cancer are roughly doubled, also from fairly low risks.

Furthermore, none or these risks exist when chemical castration is used. If a responsible pet owner was concerned about risk of cancer, they can still do their part control the pet population.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
kodaka, even if you dismiss the cancer argument one still may want to wait for the growth plates to grow on a male before neutering. There is no argument that dogs neutered at a young age tend to grow taller and leaner with less chest and muscle development. With some breeds that means you can wind up with a male dog with a narrow chest, elbows in, and east west feet.....maybe that is not a big consideration for a pet NOT involved in athletic endeavors but for things like agility and other sports, it can be a big deal. At least that conjecture from Chris Zink, DVM Coaching the Canine Athlete.

I know it is anectdotal and two dogs do not a history make, but my first neutered at an early age male GSD was all of the above AND died of hemangiosarcoma at the age of 11. He was also very clumsy because of his front end architecture. Before that my GSD who was intact until about 4 died at the age of 15 and had a far more normal structure, but that is a very good age for a GSD. I don't know how long my current intact GSD will live or how healthy - at 7 he is going strong for now.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,183 times
Our dog is spayed (she was from a rescue), our cat is not yet neutered. He will be neutered when he is around 1yr old. My dad has two dogs, one a rescued mix from a shelter (Danny), and the other a registered/papered golden retriever (Shiloh). The mix is fixed, the golden is not- and he has never sired any puppies. My dad wanted to keep him intact for health reasons. Shiloh is around 15 years old now, has some age related health problems (arthritis, hearing/vision) and a genetic seizure disorder (well managed)... but no problems with his, er, "manhood" whatsoever.
I don't think "fixing" should be forced and I don't think cats & dogs should be fixed until they are fully developed. I would have liked to wait to spay my dog until she was around 2, or at least a year. But I had to agrree to spay her within 6mo of the adoption. I would never want a litter of puppies, I'd just rather go about the spay/neuter on my own terms, as I am for our cat. Someone mentioned that licence fees should be higher for unaltered pets- where I live they are. If your pet is unaltered, it costs more to get a licence and there is a higher fine if you are ticketed for having a "dog at large". Also, the shelter runs a rabies vacc clinic every summer and the cost is much higher if your dog is not fixed. So the laws do encourage spay/neuter, at least around here.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
kodaka, even if you dismiss the cancer argument one still may want to wait for the growth plates to grow on a male before neutering. There is no argument that dogs neutered at a young age tend to grow taller and leaner with less chest and muscle development. With some breeds that means you can wind up with a male dog with a narrow chest, elbows in, and east west feet.....maybe that is not a big consideration for a pet NOT involved in athletic endeavors but for things like agility and other sports, it can be a big deal. At least that conjecture from Chris Zink, DVM Coaching the Canine Athlete.
I think you are confusing me with someone else. I haven't made any arguments about the effects of neutering at a young age.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think you are confusing me with someone else. I haven't made any arguments about the effects of neutering at a young age.
I was referring to your post where you suggested chemical castration as an alternate which would supress the possible cancer issue........but I think it would still kill the testosterone.........

Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
Our dog is spayed (she was from a rescue), our cat is not yet neutered. He will be neutered when he is around 1yr old. My dad has two dogs, one a rescued mix from a shelter (Danny), and the other a registered/papered golden retriever (Shiloh). The mix is fixed, the golden is not- and he has never sired any puppies. My dad wanted to keep him intact for health reasons. Shiloh is around 15 years old now, has some age related health problems (arthritis, hearing/vision) and a genetic seizure disorder (well managed)... but no problems with his, er, "manhood" whatsoever.
Yes.
To listen to some of the hyperbole, one would think that *all* non-spayed, intact animals are a walking time bomb of cancer or other illnesses.
Quote:
I don't think "fixing" should be forced and I don't think cats & dogs should be fixed until they are fully developed. I would have liked to wait to spay my dog until she was around 2, or at least a year. But I had to agrree to spay her within 6mo of the adoption. I would never want a litter of puppies, I'd just rather go about the spay/neuter on my own terms, as I am for our cat. Someone mentioned that licence fees should be higher for unaltered pets- where I live they are. If your pet is unaltered, it costs more to get a licence and there is a higher fine if you are ticketed for having a "dog at large". Also, the shelter runs a rabies vacc clinic every summer and the cost is much higher if your dog is not fixed. So the laws do encourage spay/neuter, at least around here.
The laws in Denver are coercive, as you describe. Unaltered pets cost about $150 a year for a special license. This includes a home inspection.
Where I live now, licensing is cheaper for altered pets, but no special license is required. There are low-cost spay/neuter clinics.
I really don't have a problem with what the city of Denver does, because there are so many irresponsible people out there who do create pet over-population.
But I understand the frustration of responsible, potential pet owners who would like to adopt, but feel thwarted, manipulated and painted with the same brush as the ignorant, cruel people seen in shocking TV programs on Animal Planet.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 12-12-2009 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: always a typo

Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I believe that the primary reason that most people do not get their pets neutered is the cost.

In communities where free or low cost spay/neuter is available the percentage of fixed critters goes up.

In my area we see a lot of females getting done after they have that "Oops" litter where the owner meant to get her done but time slipped away and before they knew it she was pregnant.

Of course puppy millers (who produce about 500,000 dogs a year) have no interest in getting any of their dogs fixed. Same thing for the BYB's who are just a smaller scale of mill.

Awareness and understanding have grown tremendously since the time when my family dog had 19 pups in 4 litters back in the fifties. Once I was old enough to understand that she didn't have to keep getting pregnant I was able to convince my folks to get her done. In the 70's about 24 million pets were euthanized in this country. Today that number is down to less than 3 million. Things are moving in the right direction.

Only about 20% of all newly acquired pets come from shelters but the world of rescue is gaining "market share" and more folks are choosing adoption over purchase or 'free to good home'.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

I know it is anectdotal and two dogs do not a history make, but my first neutered at an early age male GSD was all of the above AND died of hemangiosarcoma at the age of 11. He was also very clumsy because of his front end architecture. Before that my GSD who was intact until about 4 died at the age of 15 and had a far more normal structure, but that is a very good age for a GSD. I don't know how long my current intact GSD will live or how healthy - at 7 he is going strong for now.
hhhhmmmmm ...... much of this is a good description of dave..... who was neutered at 8 weeks......

although he is VERY lean, he is still VERY strong ..... and i don't see the elbow and feet issues.........

will be staying tuned for further developments.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs