Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,230,522 times

Advertisements

So according to you not having a pet that is taller, leaner, vs. millions of perfectly fine animals being killed every year due to indiscriminate breeding

WTF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
The hispanics that didn't do it in El Paso told me it was for religious reasons.

I know some men who think it's an affront to the male dogs to do this to them.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
A. If you're worried about growth issues, wait till they're done with most of their growing. Both my big dogs stopped increasing their height at about 6 months. They then just filled out muscle-wise.

B. Increased risk of obesity? Really? Dogs can only eat what you give them, so that should be pretty easy to control.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times
We've always spayed/neutered at the 6 mth mark. We do have one grade 5 SAS pup, our special needs girl we took in that had to undergo heart surgery at 14 weeks to insert a balloon into her aurotic artery. This was her only chance for survival. She cannot be spayed because she can never be put under w/ anethesia because it could cause heart arrhythmia and death.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So according to you not having a pet that is taller, leaner, vs. millions of perfectly fine animals being killed every year due to indiscriminate breeding

WTF
YES, because MY intact dog is not allowed to breed.

The change in structure can impair efficient movement which can be an issue for a working dog OR a pet dog that is involved in outdoor activities such as an agility dog, a running partner, etc.

My intact male is able to work in the presence of a ***** in heat. Would I EVER trust him unsupervised - absolutely not! Is there a reason I have a 6 foot privacy fence in my backyard and would not leave my property and him out in the fence - absolutely!

I don't really care what people think about this other than the fact that some states are enacting laws to mandate this and to mandate it for younger and younger dogs.

I would be glad to pay an extra fee to license my intact dog.

In some countries dogs are even DNA'd to ID poop so why not puppies; just make it part of an additional licensing fee?

City uses DNA to fight dog poop | Technology | Reuters. So hit me up for a DNA fee and if my dogs DNA shows up in unwanted puppies then fine me or off with his balls.

Listen, I know you would say this is unenforceable but no less so than a spay neuter ban. One would presume you would do away with dog breeds altogether or make the show breeders [aaaaaaaaaaaaaack] the only ones allowed to keep intact stock?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
One would presume you would do away with dog breeds altogether or make the show breeders [aaaaaaaaaaaaaack] the only ones allowed to keep intact stock?
I am sure there are plenty of spay/neuter zealots who indeed want to do away with dog breeds altogether.
And to them I offer my own WTF.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes, in regards to the growth issue - it takes a larger dog 3 to 4 years to completely mature and grow up. After all the health considerations, temperament considerations, etc. I don't know why people feel affronted that I have made this choice.

Not referring only to ME but to others who have made such a choice.

I am a very responsible dog owner. I should not be punished for the offenses of those who are not. We do this all the time with laws. We have so many laws that we cannot enforce them all as it is. Instead of limiting everyones behavior because it may cause harm. Why not actually punish those who allow their behavior TO cause harm?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
i think what this all boils down to is this..... granny, you and starla are obviously responsible owners.... you are aware of the potential consequences of not spaying or neutering your pets and are willing and able to take the necessary measures to prevent them..... it can be a lot of work, as i know you are aware......

the sad reality is that MOST people who have pets are NOT willing to put the necessary time and effort into preventing unintended consequences..... and so we have the overflowing shelters and the millions of pets killed each year because there is just no room for them all....

are you being "punished" because of other's failings?? ABSOLUTELY.....

ALL pay the price for the irresponsible..... in this as in so many other aspects of our lives........

Old 12-13-2009, 11:39 AM

IT is true that all pray the price for the irresponsible ....... always has been but I would expect that those who want to enact such laws bend their ears and listen to people with opposing views.

The point of this thread was "why doesn't every pet owner spay/neuter" so when people answer why they don't, then it becomes an argument for the sake of arguing and not a true discussion of "why don't you feel the way that I do?"

Or maybe I mis-read. Perhaps it was to be an opportunity for folks to complain about those of us who think differently and pat themselves on the back?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM

142 posts, read 571,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The hispanics that didn't do it in El Paso told me it was for religious reasons.
Hmm I was unaware that dogs and cats practiced religion. It seems like a lame excuse to me. I saw so many stray/loose/dumped dogs in El Paso the male ones you could tell were not neutered. All 3 of my dogs were adopted from the shelter there and were spayed/neutered before we took them home. I see why they require it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs