Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

there are so many unwanted animals in the world so why would someone not spay/neuter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,213 times
when we got our dog from the SPCA, we were required to do so within 14 days I believe. We did and had no problem doing so. There are way too many unwanted animals and each one deserves a loving home. Now the shelter provides the spay/neuter on site and all animals are done so before leaivng the premises. Even better! They SPCA here spent so much money on people they had to take to court for not following through on the spay/neuter

Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
yes, i volunteered at animal shelters where this was the case. i just dont understand why people dont know better. such a shame. just this one step of spaying/neutering could help the problem of animal suffering so much.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,881 times
The only reason I can think of would be to preserve a breed and further/improve the line.

Other than that, I don't know. Everyone at my house is spayed/neutered.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
yes, i volunteered at animal shelters where this was the case. i just dont understand why people dont know better. such a shame. just this one step of spaying/neutering could help the problem of animal suffering so much.

Probably because they have no interest in taking responsibility for their animals? They'd rather "let nature take its course" until they don't want to deal with it anymore, no matter how much suffering it causes.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,734 times
In my opinion dogs are not physically or mentally mature until they are older, 2 to 3 years. Spaying to young closes the growth platelets (do a search) and if your a responsible owner there is no urgent need to fix your dog.

My female will never be bred and she will not be spayed until she is 3 years of age & my male will keep his stones forever thank you. In the meantime we are very careful and keep them separate when she is in heat.

Vets like to spay females before they get their first heat because the operation is easier & quicker for them.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
Chick is right. Just trying to give the other side of the story from those of us who don't want to spay/neuter every dog out there. Two of my three dogs are neutered, they are rescues. The third one won't be for a long time, if ever. He's 2 years old now, will probably wait another year or so before deciding whether to breed him. He has his CH, also a couple of Rally titles, but I'm going to get the rest of his health testing done and get at least one field title on him first. In other words, show that he's worthy of being bred.

I agree that mixes should all be altered, as well as purebreds from BYBs or pet shops/puppy mills -- but irresponsible owners will breed them anyway. In the hands of responsible owners, intact animals will not be bred. Many people believe that it is not in the best interest of the dog to alter it, especially puppies. They need those hormones to grow and develop properly. And not all intact animals are allowed to roam the streets and become aggressive. I say that if my one intact dog does not cause issues associated with having his, they will stay put.

Do more research. Spay/neuter does cause a decrease in some types of cancers, but it also causes an increase in other types, such as osteosarcoma, which is what one of my past dogs died from, and he was neutered before a year old.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,168 times
There are also medical reasons that have not been mentioned. I once had a dog with an undescended testicle. My vet flat out refused to neuter him, saying the procedure was too dangerous.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM

That's interesting, thanks for pointing that out. So far I haven't had any who had medical problems that prevented their being altered, so maybe we've just been lucky. Since my pets and fosters are rescues I usually have no clue as to the bloodline so, even if they appeared to be purebred, they wouldn't be good breeding stock.

A friend of mine, despite being educated and making a good living, doesn't believe in spaying, much less neutering. Yet she gets mad when her cat comes home pregnant, as if it had a choice. ?? So that is what I think of when I think of animals in shelters. (BTW, my friend finally got tired enough of her cat having kittens that she had her spayed.)

I was raised with a father who didn't (and still doesn't) believe in spaying/neutering animals. If we wanted our pet spayed, we just made it 'disappear' for a few days and then it would suddenly show up again at home. He usually didn't get close enough to them to see the stitches. I still have no idea why he was so against it, especially since we had female pets.

Kind of a funny/sad story: I can understand where someone might think having "barn cats" is a good thing to take care of rats, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. H and I looked at a property once and there were a LOT of cats around. The homeowner bragged about how good they were for killing the rats and snakes, and then pointed out his pride & joy: momma kitty. He bragged on how she was the mother of all thirty-something cats that we were seeing, and that she had produced them all in just a few years. (Oh wait, it gets better.) He said he was taking her with him when he moved, and the rest of the cats he was leaving for the next owner--like he thought that made for a sweet deal, lol. Eek! Poor guy probably didn't stop to think that we might be adding the cost of spaying/neutering all those cats to the property price. It was just a different mindset. I guess the good thing was that he wasn't dropping them off at the humane society, and they had plenty of rats and snakes to eat.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,944 times
Probably because they are irresponsible. Being that they are irresponsible and careless they usually end up with oops litters. Making more "unwanted" pets. I never understood what is so hard about keeping your female from getting with a male. They should spay anyway and save themselves the headache of heat cycles.

One of my females is in heat right now so I'm in that routine. If they have multi dogs is more work then just watching them when they are going potty. Because if they have an intact boy they have to worry about their own dog causing an accident. Its a bit of work but not impossible to keep a female from getting pg, but these people are careless. If they don't care about spaying their girl and are the type that end up with 3 accidental litters it should really explain a lot. They are lazy.

What is frustrating to me is we were planning to go to a show in a couple of weeks where she probably would have finished or came close to it. Now that she is in heat well no show! The sooner she gets her CH the sooner she can be spayed. My younging is just barely not old enough to show. My other female is due to come in also (would have finished almost 100% for sure) so no sense in even going. Last year she came out of heat like 3 or so days before the show, but it was already too late. She was so fat and wasn't "showable". Normally even without work she is at least in decent enough shape to show. Not sure what happened, I know DH was the one mostly feeding her for a couple of weeks and she got a little heavy. If that had not happened she'd be finished all ready!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs