Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Puppy had a little bit of the 'D' word, so I'm having her eat rice. IDK how much to give her. She normally eats 3 cups of dry food a day. If several hours go by on rice with no 'D' I will give egg. Or force myself to boil chicken, lol (feeling lazy about that - would rather do egg).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 PM

bump :-)

Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I would just give a little...maybe half a cup.
All you are trying to do is settle the stomach, no reason to worry about caloric intake as this isn't a long term solution.
If the puppy isn't improved in 24 hours, being that its a puppy, I would take it to see a vet.
Just responding by info given in this post. I have no idea what your situation is with the puppy (its age ect).

Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Don't give alot, rice blows up in the colon. It takes all of 5 minutes on half power to poach a frozen chicken tender size boneless chicken in a microwave. The recommended amount is 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source - chicken. But diarrhea can be dangerous in a puppy and she should see a vet if it's not clear by tomorrow. Especially if it turns watery.

I see your previous post you said you were giving an egg two days ago? So it may be not a good idea to give egg in case that caused it. She's only 8 lbs? Not alot of leeway for diarrhea. I would just give her normal dog food and if she's not better tomorrow go to the vet.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Eggs don't bother her. I gave her two bites of KFC - YES I NOW KNOW THAT IS WRONG!

I am 99.9% sure she is fine after expelling it.

I am just being cautious with her tummy, but I do not think she is sick.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM

I do worry about calories because she is underweight. Worms took all her food before she was dumped at my house. She only got to eat for 4 days before she was down with Parvo. Didn't eat for 5 days, I want to say.

And then for two weeks it was just baby food, and then just ck and rice, and then script food.

Poor baby has only been on full servings of regular food for a week at the most! :-(

Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM

Another reason I like egg is it is considered bland but has more protein and fat than ck.

I normally boil chicken for dogs - what is the microwave version?

I don't think I even have any cookware with a cover that can GO in the microwave. I only use it for popcorn, lol. Not a fan of the microwave.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 PM

I used to keep canned chicken for emergency. Wish I had some! But I haven't had a dog for a year..........

Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Eggs don't bother her. I gave her two bites of KFC - YES I NOW KNOW THAT IS WRONG!

I am 99.9% sure she is fine after expelling it.

I am just being cautious with her tummy, but I do not think she is sick.
Oh good. That explains it. The FAT omg. Much better to have diarrhea from a known contraband item than to not know. Sometimes in pupppies it's the dog food, it sneaks up on them and they can't tolerate it. So yeah do not mess with her diet until she's straightened out and gaining.

Anyway for the microwave yeah, I'm not a big fan but it does the job superbly. You can use a regular pyrex bowl or even a microwave safe regular dish...and just cover it with even a paper towel or wax paper or something. I cook for a dog client who's owner has dementia so it's been a challenge. She was overfeeding junk and not feeding enough real dog food or any real food, actually. That's why I go there now.

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I take a chicken tenderloin out of the freezer like 4 or 5 inches by 3 inches wide by an inch thick)...to poach for her food. I only put a few shreds in the food but I use it for a pill pocket for her meds. And I use Easy Cheese as the glue LOL.

I heat up water in a bowl that it fits in, then place the tenderloin in the bowl - covered - and zap it on level 5 for 2 or 3 minutes on one side and 2 or 3 minutes on the other. I want the water to half cover the chicken. Then I let it sit in the water a few minutes, take it out and wrap it up or chop it. If you have a meat thermometer you want it to be 165 degrees to be cooked through. It comes out tender! If you're doing more pieces the bowl is more crowded so it's more like level 8 for 4 minutes per side, something like that. You can see it cook half way up as you get ready to turn it. Sometimes I use a microwave dish like the one they sell with the cover. I think it's for steaming it has the insert with holes but I take that out. It's shallow.

For bowel problems, OAT BRAN is better than rice. My old school vet told me that about 20 years ago and he was right. It comes in a red small box near the oatmeal Quaker is one brand. You cook it like oatmeal. It helps constipation OR diarrhea. It's a balance-er. It will NOT cure a diarrhea that is more serious than just a casual contraband but it will help an ongoing issues in some dogs.

When I had a dog with a deadly gi disorder I was on a message board that we all used Oat Bran for that, some people even sprinkled it on wet food as is - dry. A tablespoon or two but for your tiny dog I wouldn't do that. I'd cook it and give her one or two tablespoons cooked. Because the dogs with gi problems need more carb in the diet to fight against the fat with the proteins. If not, they'd puke it up. And the oat bran is a fractionalized bran kernel not the huge rolled oat that just takes up space. I stipulate dogs don't all need this, just the ones with gi disorders that prevent them from absorbing normal food. A healthy dog is different.

For weight gain we used a form of Satin Balls in emaciated dogs. There are many recipies for them on the internet. Hills AD is for emaciated dogs but sometimes it's too rich. Satin Balls original recipe calls for ground beef but you can sub. They call for raw but you can cook. The principle is to create a high cal food and the raw beef fat packs on the pounds. IT IS NOT SAFE for EVERY DOG. Pancreatitis for one thing. So don't just run and do that especially with the diarrhea after her having the fatty food is a sign. So you have to be careful now, IMO.

My dog I mentioned lost a crucial half pound when the owner stopped overfeeding the Milkbones that were giving her diarrhea and a crappy diet...(she's 17 and 13 lbs up from a starving 10 lbs from her original weight when the family realized what was going on).

So I made her a form of Satin Balls this week to put that half lb back on. But DON"T MESS with your dogs diet if she's doing well on script.

To go with her Hills ID script food, I made (approximate amounts):

2 Med Baked Sweet organic potatoes, mashed
Baked 1 lb skinless boneless chicken THIGHS organic, pasture raised chicken...set aside to be added at the end (for the extra fat and not so lean meat) I think I only used 2 thighs in the final mixture, tho.

In a separate bowl I combined:

2TBS of unsulphered molasses
1 TBS of $30.00 raw honey I got from Whole Foods that I normally wouldn't do but I wanted her to EAT IT
6 TBS wheat germ flaky NOT toasted
2 cooked eggs
2 TBS coconut oil

Then I added those ingredients to the potatoes and added a bit of the fat from the baked chicken. Maybe 2 TBS. I forget if it was the right texture or not but if it was too stiff I added water.

Then I broke up the chicken into small pieces and mixed it in.

I added some parsley and steamed kale to one batch LOL. The texture is like a bread pudding type of thing.

THAT DOG INHALED IT.

I gave her 4 oz at first. Then when she wanted more I mixed it into her dog food. She has been eating this for 5 days and I can feel her ribs fill out a slight amount already. No stool problems at all.

AGAIN, don't try all this if you're trying to straighten your dog out. I guess you could offer sweet potato tho, it's pretty bland and not a big allergen. Once she gets back to a normal stool.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-01-2013 at 12:33 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Wow - thank you for all that info! I especially like using oat bran instead of rice.

Q, tho - why not just oatmeal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs