Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times

Advertisements

My husband was driving home from work today and found a puppy in the middle of the road. We live about 2 miles off a main highway on dirt roads. He stopped at 1 of the 2 houses to see if the puppy was theirs. They said no but they think it was the other neighbor. No one is/was home at that house so brought him home.

I would say he is about 4 months old pure Bassett. Skinny thing but very sociable. He did eat like he was starving. We drove back down the road to see if the people had come home. Found a different neighbor who said they just let the puppy run and that the neighbor won't be home until late afternoon tomorrow.
The little guy is spending the night at our house because we refuse to just put him back in their yard.

I so don't want to return him tomorrow. It just makes me sick that they let him just run. And he is so skinny. He also has a hernia that is protruding on his belly. We live in the country so there are no laws or rules about loose dogs. People often let their dogs just run on the farms. We don't because 1. we don't want them to get hit by a car. 2. or eaten by a coyote 3. possibly bite someone or get into someone's cow pasture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,385 times
Maybe u can keep him and bring him back to health/. i see him here in the picture the hipbones AND ribs are protruding. thats a sign of starvation for a dog/

i dont blame you for not wanting to return him to those people..doesnt seem like hes getting proper care and especially since they "let him run"

I have no doubt that he will wind up in the middle of the road again. Do yourself and this little puppy a favor, take care of him..U seem to really care about this little guy. so it looks like he found a good home already. name him Lucky. =)

*Whats really scary is that they left the dog to run around unsupervised while they were out of town. Thats pet abandonment and endangerment.

eventually, if this lack of supervision keeps up or goes reported, this dog will be taken out of thier care and placed in a shelter until a better, more qualified person/family came along OR be euthanized for lack of space... OR this dog will eventually wind up dead on the side of the road where he was left to run on.

Please keep the dog. he was not in a suitable living situation, anybody can see that..

..Also, looking at the pic again, u can actually see the bones from his skull. I dont blame u for not returning the dog. they were letting him starve. poor thing!! Good Luck

Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
Well no doubt he is not being taken care of. But how do you just keep a neighbors dog? And no nothing would be done to them if he is allowed to run. Like I said no laws here about dogs running in the country. We are 8 miles to the closest town we see a cop maybe once a month making a trip to the local meth community back in the woods about 5 miles from us. I just wanted to vent. I HATE it when people don't take care of their animals. My kids are always saying if I die I want to come back as one of mom's dogs or grandma's cats.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Seriously, the neighbor won't be home until tomorrow afternoon----how did he expect this poor dog to eat while he was away? I'd keep him. He's just too cute. How do you keep the neighbor's dog? You really don't know whose dog it is. You found it on the road, asked around, and kept it. Go get him his shots and microchip him to establish a record of ownership.

Or send him off to a Basset Rescue group if you are afraid of this neighbor coming to your house to find the dog. Being a puppy, he'll get adopted right away.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,385 times
u can keep a neighbors dog or any dog that u find if its painfully obvious that the dogs life is in danger.

-starvation. bones protruding.

-left to roam while owner left town.

-u went to the houses. u did your part. but knowing that the owners left town with their dog running loose shows extreme pet endangerment and obvious pet abandonement.

-besides, u didint steal the dog. u saved the dog. he was in a very dangerous situation. dont feel bad.

when you go to the vet, u tell the vet u want to get shots and microchip for the dog.

since its a small town, if asked or the vet has seen the dog before, u tell them the truth. u found the dog wandering on the street. u went to near by homes and no one claimed it to be their dog. the vet will see the condition of the dog for themself and see that the dog will be in better hands.

i honestly dont think that the dog was seen by a vet though. a dog left to run wherever and do whatver and them leaving town..hmmm makes me think that they dont really care about the dog.

Last edited by Mandy612; 09-21-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 AM

Bassets are supposed to be skinny. Their spine and back legs can't handle weight. My basset mix has a bit of a pot belly. He's starting to have problems with his back knees. The vet doesn't say he's overweight but I know he would do a lot better if he was trim. My SIL adopted a basset rescue that was skinnier than the puppy in the OP's picture. She has some more weight on her now, but she's still skinny because it's healthier for them to not carry extra weight.

Here are some pictures of bassets for comparison:

Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
If you are not going to keep him, get him to a rescue group immediately.
If you are going to keep him, take him to a vet immediately and photograph him. Make sure the vet writes up a description of the dog's physical condition so you have documentation of this puppy's neglect.

Also be sure to get him completely vaccinated, heart worm tested and on heartworm preventitive. If that is too costly for you, you can't afford another dog and you should give him to a rescue.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
With all due respect... what people are telling you to do is stealing. If this puppy does belong to a neighbor, or you believe he does, you have to let that neighbor know you have their dog. Or you take it to a shelter and let them tell them where the dog is.

Maybe they had someone supposed to be watching that puppy, and it got out. Maybe a lot of things no one here has any idea about!

You can always adopt this dog from the shelter after the 3 day waiting period or whatever it is in your town.

It was kind of you to bring him in and take care of him. Now, do the right thing and let the authorities know you have him.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
With all due respect... what people are telling you to do is stealing. If this puppy does belong to a neighbor, or you believe he does, you have to let that neighbor know you have their dog. Or you take it to a shelter and let them tell them where the dog is.
She does not have to take it to a shelter. She can give it directly to a Basset Rescue group.

When you find a stray, you are not legally obligated to find the owner or take it to a shelter.

There's no proof whatsoever that she knows who owns this dog.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
wow... I sure hope a dog of yours never escapes your home and if found by someone with your attitude. This puppy has not been checked by a vet by the founder, or checked to see if it is chipped.

So let's just give it to a rescue who may take that puppy a loooong ways from it's home never to be found again.

The right thing to do is make every attempt to find it's rightful owner! You know that Hopes, or at least I would hope so. People telling her to keep the puppy without attempting for find it's owner is just wrong.

My breed rescue group just had a situation like this. Someone found a dog and they gave it to a rescue who then took that dog from Florida to Mass within one week. They would not allow us to help either place the dog or find it's owner. Nope, it's ours now and tough was their answer to us. Wrong on so many levels! How in the world do we attempt to find either a dogs owner, or breeder when it is swept a 1000 miles away?

The finder needs to make an attempt, or let the police know, or the local shelter know they have this puppy.... how about some little kid is missing their pet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs