Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
With all due respect... what people are telling you to do is stealing. If this puppy does belong to a neighbor, or you believe he does, you have to let that neighbor know you have their dog. Or you take it to a shelter and let them tell them where the dog is.

Maybe they had someone supposed to be watching that puppy, and it got out. Maybe a lot of things no one here has any idea about!

You can always adopt this dog from the shelter after the 3 day waiting period or whatever it is in your town.

It was kind of you to bring him in and take care of him. Now, do the right thing and let the authorities know you have him.
it depends on local ordinances. I don't believe there is a single law that covers stray pets.

In my town, you must report a found domestic pet to the Animal Control dept. and complete a form. They ask you to bring the dog in so they can scan it for a microchip. You then can leave it or keep it. If no one claims it in a week you can bring it back or not. When someone is missing an animal, the shelter has a posting for all animals in the shelter or being held by private parties who found the animal.

As stated, in my town, it is illegal to keep a dog that doesn't belong to you unless you go thru above. But each town has its own laws and I suspect rural communities don't have the same process as my town does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Well no doubt he is not being taken care of. But how do you just keep a neighbors dog? And no nothing would be done to them if he is allowed to run. Like I said no laws here about dogs running in the country. We are 8 miles to the closest town we see a cop maybe once a month making a trip to the local meth community back in the woods about 5 miles from us. I just wanted to vent. I HATE it when people don't take care of their animals. My kids are always saying if I die I want to come back as one of mom's dogs or grandma's cats.
I would take him to a vet, say you found him, have the surgery he needs and get him back to health then find the legal owner. If possible.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
My husband returned him today. We gave a bag of dog food and a collar and tie out leash. If we find him again we will probably not return him. But yeah we do know who the owner is. There are only 4 houses on that road and 1 is ours. I don't let my dogs run but if for some reason one of them were to get out I sure would want someone to find me. My guess is he is skinny because of worms. He eats plenty. So on my way home from work tomorrow I plan on stopping at their house to tell them what I discovered about the sweetie. Worms, hernia, ears have yeast. Hopefully they will take him to the local vet.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Believe me when I say I will keep an eye on that house where the puppy lives.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
My husband returned him today. We gave a bag of dog food and a collar and tie out leash. If we find him again we will probably not return him. But yeah we do know who the owner is. There are only 4 houses on that road and 1 is ours. I don't let my dogs run but if for some reason one of them were to get out I sure would want someone to find me. My guess is he is skinny because of worms. He eats plenty. So on my way home from work tomorrow I plan on stopping at their house to tell them what I discovered about the sweetie. Worms, hernia, ears have yeast. Hopefully they will take him to the local vet.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Believe me when I say I will keep an eye on that house where the puppy lives.
Are you saying you returned the dog without the owner being home? What did you do, just tie it up outside?

I'm confused. What if they don't come home today?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:

AWww yeah, that's nice. Mentor the people and hopefully they'll do the right thing knowing they can't escape your eyeballs LOL.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
Good for you! And it's wonderful that you will keep an eye open for him, and them. Some people just don't know!

Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM

803 posts, read 1,879,524 times
im confused, did you get a chance to talk to the owner, or did u just tie him outside?

i wouldve kept him at least until the owners came home. what bothers me about this is that the owners were out for a few days, and they just left the pup outside. thats abandonement on top of the medical issues!

I would seriously talk to the owners and tell them your concerns. You can even ask if they would surrender their dog to you if they cant care for it. if that was to happen, consider having an animal officer accompany you for that talk with your neighbor.

even though there isnt any laws about loose animals, and whatnot, an animal deserves humane treatment and if you really, really feel that there is abuse and/or neglect i would hope that your town has laws regarding that.

Hopefully the dog will be ok. I would still document everything that happened with your local animal care and control authority/

Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:

Good call. I hope they get a message from your kind deed. I wouldn't blame you if you kept him next time.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times
Another thing to tell this alleged owner:

They could be held liable if their roaming dog were to cause an accident. That might scare them straight.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I know you have already returned him. What did the owners say when you returned him? Did they seem happy or glad for the things you gave them? If I found him again like you did I would keep him and get the medical attention he needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs