Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times

Advertisements

My 12 lb. dog got a hold of a feral kitten tonight.

I rushed the kitten and was headed to the front yard where I know the mother will find it...but the kitten literally died in my hands.

I left the kitten where I had last seen the mother. I don't know if animals think like this but I wanted her to have "closure." I will bury the kitten tomorrow if the body is still there.

I KNOW this is just nature and canine instinct yet it's tough when it was done by one of your own.

One of the worst things was the fact that my 9 y.o. son saw it; he's super sensitive about animals. I lied to him and told him the kitten was ok. I didn't want him upset at our dog too.

Sigh....at least the kitten died quickly and won't live the rough life of a feral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I would have a very hard time if one of my pets killed another, or killed any animal for that matter.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I would have a very hard time if one of my pets killed another, or killed any animal for that matter.
I had a really good dog that reached down into a rabbit hole and killed a bunny. It's a natural instinct.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I can imagine how awful you must feel. I felt terrible enough when one of ours got a grasshopper yesterday she spit it out before she could injure it a d I checked to see if it was okay -- and I can't even stand grasshoppers.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
it must have been a tough thing to watch... poor kitty. But try not to be angry with your dog, he was being a dog and dogs do these things.

Mine are little hunters and they will kill whatever they are able to catch. I don't particularly want to watch it... but I know it's what they are hard wired to do and I have to accept it. From groundhogs to lizards.... if they aren't fast enough- it's on!

Bury the poor thing and put it behind you. Hope the rest of the family finds another place to live.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM

I buried the kitten this a.m.

I'm not angry at my dog, I know she's just acting like a dog. Just like I know this kitten would have grown up to do the same thing to birds, mice, etc. Just wish my son hadn't seen it. This morning he asked me "Are you sure the kitten is ok?" (sigh)

My son is adopted but he seems to have inherited my extreme sensitivity to animal. This is both good and bad; I'm sure many of you understand that. (;

Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 AM

259 posts, read 670,210 times
Default I beg to differ...........

Yes dogs are a descendant of wolves and yes they do still have a prey drive, but it is up to us to teach them what is acceptable and what is not. Killing cats is not acceptable. If you think it's fine that your dog kills rabbits, that's up to you.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Yeah.

I have to say that when my dog gets hold of a rabbit, it bugs the crap out of me, but the dumb things won't quit coming into our yard.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Yes dogs are a descendant of wolves and yes they do still have a prey drive, but it is up to us to teach them what is acceptable and what is not. Killing cats is not acceptable. If you think it's fine that your dog kills rabbits, that's up to you.
Exactly how does one teach a dog that it's not acceptable?

I'm all ears.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM

259 posts, read 670,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Exactly how does one teach a dog that it's not acceptable?

I'm all ears.

Same way you teach the dog anything; positive reinforcement of good habits.

This book has been a boon for my dog's behavior. Official Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT) site: humane help for aggression, frustration, and fear in dogs, horses, and other animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs