Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I think this is a very interesting article about retractable leashes. Anybody here ever have a problem with them? We have used them from time to time but we have small dogs.

Ask Me How I Feel About "Flexi" Leashes - Higher Expectations HEX Dog Training & Behavior Modification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I have never had any problems with them BUT I seen people walking there dogs let them out full dogs wonder into the street yards & places they shouldnt. People NEED to learn how to use the Correctly!

Old 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
My husband got a cut similar to those shown in the photos. That particular leash had a very thin line; our current one is broader and flatter, thus less likely to cause welts.

I do like a flexi when hiking on a wide dirt road. Lets my dog get even more exercise.

When walking on city streets, I don't let it extend all the way.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I have always used them on my property so my dogs can explore. I've had 2 at a time on flexi's but I'm really paying attention.

I'm also interested in getting a 6' flexi for walking on streets.

They are a good tool if used correctly but it's not like you can be mindless at the other end.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think this is a very interesting article about retractable leashes. Anybody here ever have a problem with them? We have used them from time to time but we have small dogs.

Ask Me How I Feel About "Flexi" Leashes - Higher Expectations HEX Dog Training & Behavior Modification
No dog walker will ever use them unless the dog is impeccable, the neighborhood "safe", and they don't feel like carrying around their own leashes on that job.

I had exactly 4 dog regulars in 5 years I allow on their own Flexi. And ONE Maltipoo I regretted when an aggressive Lab attacked and I couldn't get her in check quickly. I never used her flexi again. She lived in a neighborhood of single homes. I only used the others' Flexis in my high rise building where we could be more controlled. Even then I only used them on Schnauzers because of the way they love to walk in that criss cross pattern and they'd eliminate faster with their Flexis.

Besides the dangers of them and the danger of the owner dropping it, the dog can't feel your energy down your arm so they don't act like their "on a leash" or they feel the tension and pull.

We use a 6 foot leather or cotton weave. The cotton comes in 6, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 feet. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=c&cagpspn=pla

My favorite for powerful dogs (even Doxies) is this one: they feel it on them and it shock absorbs their power somewhat if you're stuck in a situation. http://www.gundogsupply.com/deer-tan-6ft-lead.html

My old standby leather all purpose for any size dog is this one, it's more narrow and a little thinner...I tied 3 knots in it one for short guys, one in the middle and one down the bottom for tall guys so my hand goes right to the knot to guide them or pull them close to me in elevators, doors etc. http://www.petco.com/product/107398/...in-Copper.aspx

Sometimes I'll use a bungee if I don't trust the dog and he's new. It may save your shoulder. BUT it's not good for training because they can't feel your energy and it's not that effective to guide them around your body or pull them in towards you.LIke these: https://www.google.com/search?q=ez+s...&bih=912&dpr=1

Or the owner's IF they're convenient which most arent. Especially the slippery nylon ones that give you rope burn if the dog bolts. Even if they don't bolt you really can't get a good grip on those things and I walk on a loose lead. So I need the leather in case I need it. Not something that'll slip through my hand even when I'm scooping, for example.

Owners love Flexis because they don't have to walk on the wet grass and can stand in one place or let the dog reel out all over the place easier. Dog walkers have a different mission.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-26-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Gods, I HATE those freaking things!!! Hate them, despise them, wish a law could be enacted prohibiting their use on city sidewalks! . I have yet to encounter a situation where someone using one of these didn't annoy the ever living heck out of me. It was just a couple of weeks ago I was sitting outside at a Starbucks patio and a good sized JRT on one of these kept dashing under people tables and chairs probably sniffing for crumbs and the owner was too preoccupied w/ her laptop to notice. The dog was completely wrapped around my table's leg and so entangled in another patron's chair that I'm surprised neither the guy sitting there or the dog didn't lose limbs due to lack of blood circulation. I've almost never seen these issues w/ dogs on a long, nylon or cotton, non-retractable leash. People think they can just reel in their dog when they want and just let their dogs fly loose. Oooh, I really hate those things (I'll admit, my anger towards them may veer towards unhealthy at times).

Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
I have used one on Judy for a very long time and when she hears the click she slows her pace. She also responds to it as she does the regular leash once it's locked.

She is also very well trained so maybe that's the reason I like it? It's never malfunctioned and I always pay attention to what Judy is doing when we're out. People are often intimidated by her, she's about 55 lbs and people think that's large. They usually think she's either a chocolate lab or a pit but she's really a GSD mix and not necessarily friendly. Taking all that plus the fact that she has teeth I'm watchful of her behavior as well as anyone/thing that approaches us. I'd do that regardless of what type of leash I use, any product is subject to failure but most especially the operator holding the end =)

Old 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
I have used one on Judy for a very long time and when she hears the click she slows her pace. She also responds to it as she does the regular leash once it's locked.
Exactly - operative term "once it's locked". Because once it's locked it's not a Flexi it's a normal leash that you're holding and guiding. Well except for the plastic handle that is not the most convenient thing to hold if you have an issue. Once it's locked it's no different to the dog than using anything - even an electric cord, a rope, or even a phone charging cord in a pinch LOL.

Quote:
any product is subject to failure but most especially the operator holding the end =)
Truer words were never spoken! I carry a spare in my fanny pack just in case and also just in case a stray comes around. I've had to use it to double leash a tough walker now and then to wind in between their legs to slow them down (until I get to know them)!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
Well, I would love to find the two that we have, just for when I take the dogs out to potty in the yard. At 5am, I'm not in the mood to wander all over the yard and would like to stand on the patio and let the dogs do their thing. I would also like to use them for boundary training.

They're $40 apiece, and I'm not going to replace them when I know there are two of them somewhere around here!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Well, I would love to find the two that we have, just for when I take the dogs out to potty in the yard. At 5am, I'm not in the mood to wander all over the yard and would like to stand on the patio and let the dogs do their thing. I would also like to use them for boundary training.

They're $40 apiece, and I'm not going to replace them when I know there are two of them somewhere around here!
You could probably put up a aerial/skyline dog trolley system for the same money. Now, how to keep two of them from getting tangled is another story so you might need two setups LOL.

This tutorial link is safe to click hahaha

APBR Dog Cable Run Tutorial - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs