Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,398,979 times

Advertisements

Os this am, I had to take my cat to the vet along with my 3yo daughter. The cat needed a couple procedures in the back so we were in the waiting room waiting for her and our bill to brought up to the front desk...

The waiting room isn't very large without much room to move around. They've got like two or three little cafe chair , a big scale and some shelving with food for sale...

In comes a guy with a dog, no leash no collar.

Owner is a med size guy. He weighted the dog first off, it's well over 80lbs so literally 2 and a half times the size of my daughter.

One of the two girls from the front desk gets up, goes in the back brings back a leash that she has looped around itself - I think she would have brought a collar too but the dogs neck was just massive - I doubt they woud have had one that large laying around.... He takes the leash and thanks her but then just holds onto it - somthing about not wanting to bother/irritate the dog since he's comfortable (dog is now laying in the middle of the floor of the very small waiting area...

My daughter notices the dog, and make a slight movement towards it..... I say, "no no honey - remember what we talked about? We never go up to puppies that we don't know, please come stand by me" . Thankfully- she is very well trained about dog safety and did as I asked with no pushback. I immedietly shifted so I was between her and the dog...

Owner says " yeah, normally he's pretty good with kids but he's been really sick for two days and I'm really afriad of what he would do if you got too close - he's been very grouchy"

Are you kidding me ? normally pretty good with kids?

I was so tempted to go off on him - but was afraid that might set the mod cut dog off. Finally, they came out with the cat, we paid and got out of there...

I'm thinking about sending a letter to the owners of the clinic - that dog should have been collared, leashed, kenneled , something the minute he showed up with it... If he (the dog) had gone ater my daughter - I dont even know what anyone could have done in time...

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,437,852 times
Bad news. mod cut It's crappy pet owners in general. There are just as many crappy lab owners, chihuahua owners, poodle owners, etc.

I'd definitely have said something to the office manager. No pet should be off leash, period. If that dog hurt your child you could have had a MASSIVE lawsuit. I've got way over affectionate dogs - everything from 5 pound chihuahuas to an 80 pound Dane / pittie mix. NO ONE goes anywhere without a leash, EVER. It's just as much for the safety of anyone that my dogs would run to visit and accidentally knock over as it is for the safety of my pets.

It's called owner responsibility, and it has nothing to do with the species or breed you own. When I took my 120 pound tortoise to the vet he even went in a kennel that we wheeled around.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:53 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
It's also called business owners' responsibility. That clinic should have insisted that the man put the dog on a leash or wait outside in his vehicle.

Absolutely no excuse for that, be it a 10 lb. chihuahua or an 80 lb. pit bull.

I'd suggest you find a new vet.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
As a business owner I would want to know when one of my employees did something or didn't do something which eventually would come back on me. the office manager has no liability in that situation. The vet who owns the business does and it is not too late to get in touch with him or her and relate exactly what happened and how you feel about it. Getting a new vet without letting him or her know why would not be good.
The vet should have a sign on the front door which reads

"All dogs must be restrained with collar and leash and all cats must be in a secure cat carrier. We insist on these safety precautions for your protection as well as for the safety of your pet, our staff and our clients and their pets."

This is verbatim the sign my vet has on her door.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,398,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As a business owner I would want to know when one of my employees did something or didn't do something which eventually would come back on me. the office manager has no liability in that situation. The vet who owns the business does and it is not too late to get in touch with him or her and relate exactly what happened and how you feel about it. Getting a new vet without letting him or her know why would not be good.
The vet should have a sign on the front door which reads

"All dogs must be restrained with collar and leash and all cats must be in a secure cat carrier. We insist on these safety precautions for your protection as well as for the safety of your pet, our staff and our clients and their pets."

This is verbatim the sign my vet has on her door.
Yeah, I've been mulling this over all day.

At the time, we had a early monring appt that ran over and literally had time to pull into the drive and drop the cat in the house before we had to leave to be somewhere else.....And to be honest, I was uneasy with the idea of addressing this with the guy with dog still right there. I know some dogs can be really sensitive to stress in human's voices....

My main concern was getting my daughter out of there as quickly as possible. I was really quite afriad while we were in there, even though to be fair the dog didn't act aggressive. The dog didn't act friendly as all either though - he clearly was not, as the owner said , feeling well. I had a very hard time not letting my daughter see how afriad I was and had a little bit of the shaky hands once she was safely in her car seat.

Anyway - I have decided to write the owners a letter explaining that while I hae been very happy with their services - this episode really upset me and that I can't continue to to come there if they dont have a policy change .

Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,491,686 times
The dog should have had a collar and leash on to begin with, but the fact that the owner knew he was "grouchy" was even more of a reason for the animal to be leashed. The vet's office should have made the owner use their leash or he could not stay. Both the owner and the vet's office should be legally responsible if anything bad happened with that dog, no matter what the breed is.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM

74 posts, read 136,435 times
Yea the owner should have had his dog on leashmod cut. I do off leash training. I can tell when my dogs aren't feeling well, and sometimes I don't want people in my dogs faces. It sounds like you may have a stigma against the breed. Have you ever met a very well trained trustworthy bully dog? .. and I'm not defending the man, he was definitely in the wrong.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Os this am, I had to take my cat to the vet along with my 3yo daughter. The cat needed a couple procedures in the back so we were in the waiting room waiting for her and our bill to brought up to the front desk...

The waiting room isn't very large without much room to move around. They've got like two or three little cafe chair , a big scale and some shelving with food for sale...

In comes a guy with a dog, no leash no collar.
Deleted the rest b/c the bolded is all that matters.

First off, what sort of vet office allows someone to come in with a dog that isn't on a leash? Unless this was an animal ER and the dog was brought in near death, but even then, the dog would be secured and possibly muzzled to assess its injuries. The vet office was highly irresponsible for allowing this. The owner was highly irresponsible for not leashing a dog in what I assume is an area where dogs are supposed to be leashed.

So I must ask, in what way does the irresponsible actions of this specific dog owner and this specific vet office reflect on memod cut? If I keep my dog on a leash as the law mandates (unlike this dog owner) and keep it on a leash in public places (unlike in this vet office), how does what happened here reflect on me mod cut?

If you get bit by a stray cat, do you blame all cat owners, or do you blame the owner of the stray cat who bit you? I've been bit by poodles, have had chihuahuas and miniature pinschers snap at my legs and cling to my pants. I don't rail against poodle, chihuahua, or min pin owners, I rail against the owners of those specific dogs. In this case, you need to focus any anger on THAT dog owner, on THAT vet office, not me way over here who just happens to own a dog that is the same breed as that guy's dog.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:56 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,682,566 times
mod cut. I, too, have been in a vet office where unleashed dogs have been brought in. It's unbelievably frightening. I have considered changing vets because my current vet's waiting room is very small and even a dog on leash who pulls and lunges scares the wits out of me.

I have zero tolerance for people who don't/won't/can't control their dogs.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:56 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 04:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,910,644 times
mod cut

Meanwhile, shame on that vet office and there were also potentially leash laws broken. They should not allow ANY DOG to be ON THE PREMISES without collar with tags and leashed.

Why are you writing a letter? Why aren't you calling the clinic owner who will be forced to give you a direct ANSWER and COMMITMENT? Instead of flailing on the internet to anons who weren't involved, insulting responsible owners when you had the chance to address it to his FACE.

And come on now, that guy's behavior was so over the top you must live in an area that it's really COMMON or you're exaggerating how MOST dog owners act. Like 99.9%. I've never EVER seen a dog owner just waltz in with a dog off leash with no collar and plop themselves down in the middle of the room, let alone WARN OFF everybody in the area.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-05-2013 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs