Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,819,367 times

Advertisements

What is/are your pet'(s)' names?
How did you choose it/them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,973,193 times
Nanners. Her previous family named her, probably due to her white and yellow coloring that resembles a banananner.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
My goofy chihauhua mix didn't really have a name in the shelter. So I had alot of ideas: taco, nacho, queso, buckwheat, weezer, and a couple others.

Well, on his 2nd day, we took him to a large park where we met dozens of elementary school age kids and asked them which name they preferred (from the above choices)... they overwhelmingly voted for Taco which is what we went with.

I like food names for dogs... imagine a chubby dog named Bacon or Gravy... perfection!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,792,745 times
Ziggy after Ziggy Stardust! Bowie forever! LOL

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,819,367 times
I prefer to give our dogs people's names but I must say some names are very cute.

Taco seems to be the #1 choice for Chihuahuas.
When I saw "Nanners" on other thread I thought it sounded very cool.

Also, when I name my dogs I give them a thousand nicknames (and incredibly enough they recognize them) so the "official" name is just one of them.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 AM

205 posts, read 726,887 times
Default My Peter aka Butter

Most of my dogs end up with people names; Maggie, Jessie, Peter... well Peter was an easy choice. He looked like Petey of Little Rascals Fame. His nick name or as we call it "i'm a good boy name" is Butter. Cause he is like buttah!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:44 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,923,660 times
Usually I have a few names picked out, written down, but then one will pop into my head and thats the one that sticks. Rita, EB, her name came to be in the middle of the night while I was in bed. Finnegan was the same way, out of all the names I had that was the one that stuck. Biker, GSD got his name because we both ride Harley's but didn't want the name Harley. Almost everyone we know has a pet named Harley. So Biker it was.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,058,359 times
My dog Lucas - he came with the name so I didn't want to change it.
My cats: Patches - she's a calico and looks like she's patched
Lucy - after I Love Lucy show
Lily - after Lily Munster from the Munsters

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 AM

795 posts, read 4,540,660 times
almost 14 years ago, when i was campaigning for a puppy in my household with my ex, i kept using the name riley... or how about ripley? or bailey? pookie, wouldn't you just love to have a puppy named riley around???

not only was my ex saying no to the names, he was saying no to the dog.

so, over a 9-hour round-trip car-ride on a visit back home, i spent the entire time defending my position on the puppy front...

meanwhile, back in my hometown, we hung out with some old friends and met up with some new ones, one of whom was named barnaby.

back in the car on sunday, my campaign began anew... 4.5 more hours of all-puppy, all-the-time conversation.

back in charlotte on monday, my ex asked this question: so, when are we going to go get barnaby?

me: wha??? who? why are we going to pick up my friend's boyfriend?

ex: NO. the dog. the puppy you're been talking about for months. didn't you want to name him barnaby?

me, falling over laughing: ha, ha, no! you got the names confused... great name, though! and did you just say GO GET A PUPPY???

hence, over 13 years later, here sits barnaby beside me, and it's been a great name!

(p.s. he does have an official pedigree name, too... but this is the one that counts!)

Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Lola - She is such a little prissy princess, so the name seems to fit

Shiva - We adopted her and the first time we left her in the house with Lola, she ate our couch. Hence, she is the god of rebirth and destruction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs