Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times

Advertisements

Here's my Chihuahua... her name is Chloe.

She's 7 months old... 3 lbs... and slightly bigger than a can of tomatoes.

She had her final puppy shots a month ago. She's on a wellness plan which includes a spay but I am just wondering if I need to wait... she has an appointment on Monday to get it done. I'm asking because last month the vet said that she wants to hold off on the spay till she has most or all of her adult teeth in... I guess so they can pull the baby teeth while she's asleep?

Well, last month they had only started to come in, and here we are a month later and she still has from what I can tell all of her baby teeth with her adult teeth still just barely visible.

Anyone ever heard of this? Should I wait another month or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Personally I'd wait for several reasons, your dog is TINY really TINY, I'd also make sure your vet does a lot of small dogs, and mostly from what I've read it's important to wait until they are full grown, they need those hormones while still maturing. Is there some reason you are rushing this procedure??

Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Personally I'd wait for several reasons, your dog is TINY really TINY, I'd also make sure your vet does a lot of small dogs, and mostly from what I've read it's important to wait until they are full grown, they need those hormones while still maturing. Is there some reason you are rushing this procedure??
No reason at all... in fact, I want to make sure it's the right time to do it. I am by no means in a hurry. Her vet's office is actually the pet "hospital" inside a local Petsmart. They have like 5 different vets and I think she's seen them all. I couldn't tell you which one has experience with small breeds.

You mention her being tiny... that's exactly the reason most of her puppy shots were split up... and the time between shots was also increased... I can definitely see why that's done that way. I don't expect her to get too much bigger... both her parents are in the 2-3 lb range.

I have no concerns about her getting pregnant... she's an inside puppy (puppy pads) 80% of the time... and the times she does go outside I'm with her. She is never outside alone.

I have no problems waiting... and it looks like that is the right thing to do.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Check with Chi Breeders ... I know Papilions CANT be spayed til they are at least 1 yr old & Some Meds Cant never be used or given to them. My vet wouldn't even talk Spaying LadyBug til she had her 1st heat [rare cause most times he wants to do it Before 1st heat.] BTW she was 18 months her 1st time & just finished her second heat last month at 2 1/2 yrs!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I am in love with this little baby!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Check with Chi Breeders ... I know Papilions CANT be spayed til they are at least 1 yr old & Some Meds Cant never be used or given to them. My vet wouldn't even talk Spaying LadyBug til she had her 1st heat [rare cause most times he wants to do it Before 1st heat.] BTW she was 18 months her 1st time & just finished her second heat last month at 2 1/2 yrs!
I emailed the breeder and got this response...

"spaying her is the best thing. She is plenty old enough. My vet likes them to have had a 1st heat cycle but other vets do it after 5-6 months. Just make some calls and check."

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and postpone it. As I've said I'm not worried about her getting pregnant and I don't want to disrupt her hormonal balance. She is really small too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I am in love with this little baby!
She's my precious little girl...

Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Another good reason to wait is IF the puppy teeth need pulled she wont have to go under twice. Listen to your vet!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM

BTW she needs to Fill out Not Fatten up... She should start gaining muscle weight and toning. Lady Bug went from just under 5 pounds to just under 10 pounds IF she hits 10 vet will skin me LOL

Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Another good reason to wait is IF the puppy teeth need pulled she wont have to go under twice. Listen to your vet!
I do... which is why I posted this. The puppy teeth while she was under was already mentioned... and since she still has all of them with her adult teeth just barely starting to come in, all the more reason to wait.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
50% less mammary cancer if spayed before her first heat.

Saying that - her teeth should be in by 6 mos or so. If she's 7 mos, and they're not in yet, you've got a problem. I'd make sure your vet has dental rads, and get her teeth checked out (and spayed) ASAP...if you don't get those babies out, the adults can't come in yet. If any doubt, call a board certified veterinary dentist and ask about this!

http://www.toothvet.ca/PDFfiles/juvenilecusp.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs