Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times

Advertisements

No problems just a update after a spay job.

Just got one of my females back from Vet after getting spayed and 3 year rabies vaccine. Gave wife heart attack as was told average fee 125.00 for spay and told her 276.00. I know I am a A$$. 135.00 total and she seems to be doing well. Tell a bit sore when goes to sit or lay down and just went up on couch to lay down.
Last time did this used different vet that did laser treatment but cost over 400.00 and had same after surgery precautions and pain levels.
Only problem is other dogs know something different and want to sniff but she lets them know when enough is enough.

Just happy found vet that has good personality and not charge through the roof. He did not even flinch when told em was a bloodhound as other vet had to do all kinds of research when got my first as never had one in before and this one has had one of the pups sold as a patient so knows them better.

#2 goes in next month as done breeding until get different bloodline female which may take 2 years or so of looking for the right one.

She is such a baby though and happy to be back home, hopefully all stays well and not need to see vet again but for rabies.

I like seeing the looks of people when come out though that never seen a bloodhound but on TV as eyes go wide and they say dang those are bigger than thought. Hound man was there to get shots for his and was amazed as how big my dogs were compared to his blue ticks. Now she can be the lay around hound portrayed on TV for next few weeks and heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
happy that she is home and recuperatiing.....

hope your dw has a good sense of humor.....

and yeah.... i remember the first time i saw a live and in-person bloodhound .... his size was a bit of a surprise for me too.......

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,854 times
Glad to hear your dog is recovering well

Ours was just spayed almost 2 weeks ago as well and has been doing well after the surgery. She'd had two litters of puppies via c-sections by the breeder before she retired her and we bought her, but they had no issues with the spaying. It was tough to keep her relaxed for the first few days, but she did well with the procedure and recovery.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I love the looks of a bloodhound but could never own one. Spoil that baby while she is healing!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Dog is so spoiled already that is no problem and she is the less excitable of the bunch so taking it is easy should be no problem. Dogs have whole 1st floor deck and kennel and yes they use the couches also (have 3) and at times cannot sit as dogs hog em all... Blankets do wonders for pet hair.

Look at dogs with TV thread see some of them as right now 8 bloodhounds 7 I own 1 fostering since February as he was building new garage with built in dog house, kennel run between house and garage with paved patio also for dog so not locked up in kennel during day unless extreme heat/cold when working and for his exercise to use some energy up. Plus a english setter in house. I know I have a zoo. We also have fish, 4 guinnea pigs and now 5 albino mice which is a subject in itself that kids conned way into getting. Call mom say dad said ok if ok with you and I never said anything like it but now all 4 kids have a mouse and Mom got one too since she ok'ed it she got one.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
My rescue Sheltie, Siera, is getting spay today. She would be opposite of your dogs as she is only around 10lbs but no matter how big or small we still worry about them and they are still our babies. I am glad your little girl is doing well.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:52 AM

Good luck with your rescue and surgery. Hope all goes well. Smaller dogs a bit easier as can lift into vehicle and such easier after surgery. I have a suburban and took a bit to get her in as not want to hurt her or make jump in.
Did a rescue run last weekend and had one recently spayed like 1-2 days before run and was not told. About 35 pound dog and lifted into truck and did not know and just glad not hurt her in process as was a shy dog also. Lucky not grab by belly and lifted her like do my hounds with arms around all 4 legs. My big worry was ripping out stitches when got her in and out.

She was acting well all day walking in and out to potty laying around when others did and no licking more than normal.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Glad it's going well! It's nice that you found a good vet, too. Our new puppy will get spayed in a few months and I'm already worrying about it. Our regular vet charges a whopping $460 to spay a puppy. Thankfully I found another vet for routine shots/exams/spaying that "only" charges $320 to spay. It's amazing how much they charge, and the dog doesn't even stay overnight. And that's cute about your "zoo", we have one here, too.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
My Siera did well with her spay. She threw up a few times last evening but I think that is typical and why most vets keep them overnight. She was wagging her tail and glad to see me this morning. She went out to potty and then came in and stood to get petted then layed down. Her incision looked really good and not very swollen at all. She drank some water but hasnt eaten much yet but Dr. said that is normal and her appetite will pick up by tomorrow(she is not a big eater anyway).

You are right about a small dog being easier to get into the vehicle than a big one. I couldnt imagine if my lab/shepherd were a female what it would be like getting him into my truck without hurting.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
My brother has a Bloodhound and she is huge! Well over 100 lbs of muscle and skin. Beautiful dog and a wonderful personality but I just couldn't deal with all the drool and the hound smell. My brother has "drool rags" all over the house to keep it in check. Love it when she "bays" (or whatever its called). No other sound like it!

Take care of your big baby and I'm glad all went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs