Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
My Siera did well with her spay. She threw up a few times last evening but I think that is typical and why most vets keep them overnight.
I'm glad to hear she is doing well with her surgery. Oddly enough though, most vets here do not keep dogs overnight after being spayed. I know this because I recently called several asking how much they charged, and if they kept them overnight. I actually wish they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm glad to hear she is doing well with her surgery. Oddly enough though, most vets here do not keep dogs overnight after being spayed. I know this because I recently called several asking how much they charged, and if they kept them overnight. I actually wish they did.
My vet keeps them overnight. I actually would rather bring her home. There's no one at the vets overnight. At least if something happened and she was with me, I could get her to the E-vet.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
That's true here too about no one being at the vet's overnight. So I guess it is just as well that they send them home.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
My brother has a Bloodhound and she is huge! Well over 100 lbs of muscle and skin. Beautiful dog and a wonderful personality but I just couldn't deal with all the drool and the hound smell. My brother has "drool rags" all over the house to keep it in check. Love it when she "bays" (or whatever its called). No other sound like it!

Take care of your big baby and I'm glad all went well.
My females are clean not real droolers, but yes have their own smell to them and is noticeable to many. My males on other hand will have drool hanging down 6-12 inches and if they fling it it goes and far.

The bawl/bay of a bloodhound is different and each dog is a bit different as I can tell all 8 by voice. They are one of the sweetest dogs there is but can be a bit large and intimidating to some especially children as they do not realize their own size and the pain their tail causes. Good thing is though a well socialized bloodhound cannot be beat for a family dog. Just do not believe they are lazy as TV portrays them and you are good.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM

This vet keeps them overnight, the other vet used does not but uses laser and says no need to keep over she lets them wake up eat and drink get alert and sends them home. Think this vet does it so check right away in morning see how dog is doing and make sure no complications from surgery and all spay jobs done first thing in morning so it is more 24 hour observation and he has camera's in kennel area so monitors them that way also.

This morning she is doing real well going outside to potty and only seen her lick wound once last night once today. She is still relaxing quite a bit but I have had enough surgeries to know sleeping makes it feel better. She does not appreciate it when I go look at incision and such but is ok with it no growling or such as long as no other dogs there to bother her.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:13 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Our Vet didn't keep our dog overnight either. They scheduled the surgery for early in the morning and kept her most of the day to watch for adverse reactions from the anesthesia; they said the dogs are generally more comfortable if they get to be at home with their owner though while they are recovering, and the Vet is just a few miles down the road if something comes up.

It made sense to me, I guess

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Some vets in my area if keep overnight after surgery for observation charge a kennel fee.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
So do you do preventive gastropexy with a spay? I know BHs are prone to bloat not to mention their proclivities for eating the oddest foulest things.

You gotta respect the nose but gotta be a special kind of person to live with them.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM

I did not do that but one of pups sold he did right away with spay. One of the things warn buyers about is the bloat, infections and hip dysplasia and ways to avoid it.

My dogs get fed once a day but have food left in dishes til late night and times next day. They get started like this as pups so know do not have to gulp the food down as will always be more later. Another thing is food and water is put away before training sessions and play so I can give them small amounts after so not over due it.

You are correct a bloodhound is not for everyone and way TV portrays them people think lazy do nothing dogs that are no problem. I actually had a guy call me saying he wanted one just to lay on porch with him. I have talked so many out of them in the few years been breeding (which is done until find another bloodline want which is not even being looked into yet) that it is not funny. The worst is if have a heavy drooler, one prone to ear/skin/eye infections and have to get used to the bloodhounds smell.

Then the way nose can get them in trouble they cannot just be left out like others as when the nose works the eyes not work and brain is on one thing and traffic is not one of them.

UPDATE: KR RUBY RED SUNSET (Ruby) is healing fine, no pain problems, sitting and laying down no problem and incision looks great. Just glad she was not a licker where had to lock up with collar as other dogs would ripped it off.

Vet appointment for spay job #2 will be made this week or next. Hopefully she does as well as this one has.Then when she heals back to training in full time SAR training again.

Thank you to everyone that checked in and replied to this thread. I am happy such a site with such good people that if needed advice know could get it. Just happy not get the " Why did you not spay her before, or you should not breed only adopt lectures."

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
LOL - I know several bloodhound handlers and I think they could make an Olympic sport out of working a bloodhound. It is not for someone who is scared of going through briars, creeks, whevever - and POWERFUL dogs.

Definitely a trailing machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs