Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times

Advertisements

I took the Basset to a new groomer for a bath. It's the first time I haven't used the chain stores. The groomer was also a doggie daycare center. When we pulled into the parking lot, a bunch of dogs came charging out of the building into a fenced in area in the parking lot area. They were all so cute and friendly. My Basset was so excited.

Ever since our Labrador was put to sleep in the Spring of 2012, I've felt badly for the Basset. That's why we decided to keep Bobbles, the kitten. While she gives him some mental stimulation, it's not the same as the Basset adoring the Labrador and following him everywhere. They were a team. I watch my old Basset laying around bored and it makes me sad. I can only fill the gap in his life so much. He's a hound. He needs a pack.

Since he's old, the owners and I decided to take him to doggie daycare every other day for an hour to slowly get his muscles into the grove of being active. They said they would start him off with a mellow group. Since he has arthritis in his knees, it's important he not overdo it at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,364,010 times
YAYYYY!!!! And he will be so happy! And happy puppies are healthier and healing puppies!!! We love doggie daycare. It's awfully expensive, but one day a week is doable, and the pooches are CRAZY about it.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 12,130,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I took the Basset to a new groomer for a bath. It's the first time I haven't used the chain stores. The groomer was also a doggie daycare center. When we pulled into the parking lot, a bunch of dogs came charging out of the building into a fenced in area in the parking lot area. They were all so cute and friendly. My Basset was so excited.

Ever since our Labrador was put to sleep in the Spring of 2012, I've felt badly for the Basset. That's why we decided to keep Bobbles, the kitten. While she gives him some mental stimulation, it's not the same as the Basset adoring the Labrador and following him everywhere. They were a team. I watch my old Basset laying around bored and it makes me sad. I can only fill the gap in his life so much. He's a hound. He needs a pack.

Since he's old, the owners and I decided to take him to doggie daycare every other day for an hour to slowly get his muscles into the grove of being active. They said they would start him off with a mellow group. Since he has arthritis in his knees, it's important he not overdo it at first.
You are so sweet!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure how much it will cost yet. It's $15 for a half day, which is up to 4 hours. I'd like him to go on M, W, F. Since he's old and has arthritis in his knees, I think an hour per day is enough for starting out. If he can handle that, I'll increase his hours to maybe two per day. Their website says to ask them about multiple day deals. I'm hoping I can get them to take him for 3 days a week at $30. He'll never be there for 4 hours. At the very most, I think 2 hours will be the max. It really all depends on how well he does.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM

548 posts, read 1,039,397 times
That is awesome! I so wish I could put my big bloodhound in doggie daycare. He needs more dog stimulation.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM

I hear you. Mine definitely needs stimulation I'm also doing it for his arthritis. He needs exercise to maintain muscles to support his joints. Since he's a beagle basset mix, he's sort of a freak of nature. He has the thicker basset front legs, but his pack legs are more dainty by comparison.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
I understand why you are doing this. Lucy the Bichon was getting old and much too sedentary so I looked for many months to find the right companion for her. I thought we were going to S.C. for a "Bichon mix" at Anderson Rescue but the minute I saw him I knew he was a full blood maltese. (Shelters frequently guess at breed). Toby was about 3 and we have had him 2 years now. he and Lucy are great company for each other and Lucy is moving around more-if only to get away from her pesky over exuberant little brother! But they do play around and fight over toys some times and it makes me very happy.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 PM

That's cute! We've considered another dog, but decided the Basset to be our last dog. We kept the kitten we rescued as a solution. While they have an interesting relationship, it's not enough for what the Basset needs. He has the mental stimulation of always being on guard from her crazy antics and watching her play. He gets excited sometimes, jumps down and wants to play with her, but she runs away. Her idea of playing is stalking him. They speak a different language.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Sam used to hang out with my neighbors dogs for some dog play action, do you have any neighbors with dogs?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sam used to hang out with my neighbors dogs for some dog play action, do you have any neighbors with dogs?
Yes. He is very good friends with dogs at two neighbor's houses. He adores them. They're both slender mid-sized 3 year olds. It's hilarious when the one busts into our house all on her own to visit. I already planned to invite them over to play in addition to doggie daycare. They're a bit too high energy for the Basset so the visits have to be very short and require incredible supervision to protect his back from being jumped upon so they can't be the only solution. The doggie daycare will take their mellowest pack members and give him alone time with them in a separate area.

I'm inspired to start a senior dog meetup group if one doesn't already exist, but I don't have the fenced in yard to host the meets. The dog parks aren't a good place for it because younger dogs could hurt them. Maybe there are people with senior dogs and fences who would be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs