Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times

Advertisements

Science Diet is not good dog food at all.

Wellness, Canidae, Innova, Flint River.. those are great dog food choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post

Science Diet Adult Original Dry Dog Food
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/productDetails.hjsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=84552444176061 6
Taken From Text:

Canidae All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
Canidae® Pet Foods: All Life Stages: Dry
Taken From Text:

Oh, and I meant to explain why I highlighted certain ingredients red or blue. In the Science Diet, I highlighted "Chicken" in blue because obviously, chicken is a good thing to have in a dog food. It's also good that it's the very first ingredient. Personally, when I'm looking for a good quality dog food for my 3 dogs, I would rather see chicken meal than just chicken though. I'll explain why in a minute. I highlighted "Ground Whole Grain Corn" in red because corn is just a cheap filler that a lot of dog food companies use. Dogs cannot digest corn, corn has no nutritional value to dogs it just makes them feel full faster, so they end up not getting the amount of nutrition they really need. Corn also causes my dogs to have horrible gas, and cheap fillers like corn cause all dogs to poop more. Because corn can't be digested by dogs, it just comes right back out. The cheaper the food, the more poop you have to clean up. Now, for "Ground Whole Grain Sorghum" I didn't highlight it in red or blue because I had no idea what it was , which is normally not a good thing. I did just look it up though and it is not a good thing. I should have highlighted it in red. The feed value of grain sorghum is similar to corn. It is grown mostly for a feed grain for livestock. I highlighted "Ground Whole Grain Wheat" in red because that is not something that is necessarily good for dogs. Dogs are primarily carnivores, they don't need a lot of grains and stuff like that. Not to mention, dogs more often than not have allergies to wheat. Wheat is just not something I want to see in a dog food that my dogs eat. And finally, I highlighted "Chicken By-Product Meal" in red because it is nasty, plain and simple! Chicken by-products are ground parts from poultry carcasses such as feet, heads, feathers, intestines, necks, undeveloped eggs, etc, etc, etc, and can include any rendered material. As I said before, when it comes to something like chicken, or any other whole meat (Besides beef because more often than not, dogs have allergies to beef.), I personally prefer to feed my dogs a food that has a lot of specific meat meals, such as chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, etc. But, adding "meal" to the end of any by-products or non-specific meat does not make it any better.

In the Canidae, I highlighted "Chicken Meal" in blue because chicken meal is a great thing to see in a dog food. It is not a by-product or a non-specific meat such as poultry, and it's not beef. And again, I like that it is chicken meal and not just chicken. Of course, chicken is a good thing as well, but I prefer to feed my dogs specific meat meals. I have heard a lot of people say that they don't want to feed their dogs foods that are made with ingredients like chicken meal because they assume that is like chicken by-product, but that couldn't be farther from the truth! Basically, chicken meal is the chicken after it has been baked so it is clean and doesn't have all of the water in it. Here, this website explains it really well...

Chicken Compared To Chicken Meal by Sean L Breaking News
Taken From Text:
Quote:
Chicken meal is simply chicken that has been baked to remove bacteria and other toxins. Chicken is simply pure chicken.

What people dont know about chicken, is that it is made mostly of water. If a label on a bag of dog food says %60 whole chicken, that is quite misleading as that does not take into account how much of that %60 of chicken is left after baking it to remove unwanted substances!

When the label on the bag says %60 of chicken meal, your getting more of the chicken because the product has already been baked to remove unwanted affects such as bacteria.
Anyway, moving on..lol .. I highlighted "Turkey Meal" in blue for the same reason I highlighted "Chicken Meal" in blue. Same thing, it is a specific meat, it's not a by-product and it's not beef. "Turkey" and "Turkey Meal" are both great things to have in a dog food. For "Brown Rice" and "White Rice" I didn't highlight them blue or red because they are great and they aren't horrible. They are grains which as I said, dogs wouldn't naturally eat much of, but they are not a grain that a lot of dogs have allergies to either. As far as grains go, I definitely do not mind feeding my dogs a food that contains rice. And I highlighted "Lamb Meal" in blue because yet again, it is a specific meat, it's not a by-product and it's not beef.

I also wanted to talk about a few other common, nasty ingredients that are found in many, if not most, of the more popular, lower quality dog foods. The two ingredients that disgust me the most would have to be by-products and animal digest. I already explained why I won't feed my dogs a food that is made with by-products, but I wanted to explain why I don't like animal digest as well. Animal digest, is in my opinion, the worst thing to find in a dog food! Animal digest is the dry by-product of rendered meat. During rendering all "usable" animal parts, including fetal tissue and glandular wastes, are heated in vats and the liquid is separated from the dry meal. The meal is covered in charcoal and labeled "unfit for human consumption" before processing it into pet food! A few other things that I would never want to see in the list of ingredients for a dog food would be "Meat By-Products", "Poultry By-Products", "Meat", "Poultry" or "Meat Based". As far as the "Meat By-Products", "Poultry By-Products", "Meat" and "Poultry", of course, the by-products are horrible! But, it's the non-specific meats that I'm talking about here. I won't feed my dogs a food that isn't made with specific meats, as I have already said a couple times. Anything that says "Meat By-Product", "Poultry By-Product", "Meat" or "Poultry" is definitely a poor quality food. Oh, and like I said, adding "Meal" to the end of any of those ingredients doesn't make it any better. When a dog food says "Meat Based", again, that is non-specific meat which is not good. And a labels that says "Meat Based" may also include blood vessels, tendons, organs, and other parts of the rendered animal.

I don't think a lot of people realize that it is really worth the extra few bucks to go ahead and buy their dog a good quality food. I'm not saying that you were/are feeding your dog certain foods because they coast less, I'm just saying that I feel a lot of people will choose their dog's food based on the coast of the food. Or the coast will at least play a big part in what food they chose to buy. When someone buys their dog say a $10-$15 bag of poor quality dog food, because of all of the cheep fillers and other nasty crap they have in these foods, their dog will have to eat a lot more than it would with a good quality dog food to get the amount of nutrients it needs. That means their will be more poop and the dog will go through the poor quality food much faster than it would with a good quality food. Not to mention, with a lot of the crap that is in these poor quality dog foods, dogs can end up with stomach aches from having gas, they can end up with skin/fur problems from allergies to certain things in the food, or they could get sick and possibly even die from eating a food that is made with by-products that contain cancerous or diseased tissue that could contain parasites! Now, say you go ahead and spend the $22 for a bag of good quality food such as Canidae (We pay about $22 for the Canidae we buy), your dog will get the amount of nutrition it needs without having to eat nearly as much food, your dog won't be eating all of the cheap fillers and it won't be eating all of the nasty stuff like by-products, animal digest, etc.

Okay, I guess that's enough about the ingredients! lol! If you couldn't tell, I tend to get worked up over this. I am very picky about what I feed my dogs after learning what I have learned about the ingredients in dog foods, and it just bothers me how these dog food companies are legally allowed to completely lie to people when it comes to their products! I wish I could tell every pet owner on earth that they really, really need to look into what they are feeding their companions! These popular dog/cat food companies would be put out of business by the companies that actually make good quality foods if people knew the truth about what they are feeding their pets! IMHO, it is horrible that these companies can actually tell people, through commercials and on their products, that their foods are good for animals when they definitely aren't!

Anyway, I am so glad that you are considering switching your dog to a good quality food! I can guarantee you will see a huge difference in your dog once he gets adjusted to his new food! Oh, and I read that you were concerned about the amount of protein in the Canidae Lamb and Rice. I am not an expert on any of this by any means, so I really couldn't tell you about the protein and how it would effect your dog. I would think you would just have to try it and see how everything goes. There are plenty of other foods out there, good quality foods, but the foods that in my opinion are as good as Canidae all have the same amount of protein as Canidae. For dogs with food allergies, some other excellent foods are Wellness Simple Foods Solution Rice and Duck or Rice and Venison (All Natural Dog Food - Simple Food Solutions - WELLNESS®) and Natural Balance Potato and Duck or Sweet Potato and Fish (Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Dog Food). However, all of these foods, the Canidae Lamb and Rice, both of the Wellness foods and both of the Natural Balance foods have a pretty good amount of protein, They all say no less than 21%. Another wonderful food is Innova EVO, it is also good for dogs with food allergies, but it has a lot more protein than the other foods I have mentioned. I think it has something like 40something%! Again, I'm not an expert on this, but I would think your dog would do just fine with the protein. All 3 of our dogs are terriers/working breed dogs (American Pit Bull Terriers), so they are already pretty high energy dogs to start with, but they do like to sleep on the sofa with me while I watch some TV, or they will nap while I'm doing stuff around the house during the day. They are laid back half of the time, and ready to play the other half. So, it's not like they are bouncing off of the walls 24/7! lol! When we switched our dogs to Canidae, we saw so many huge changes in them, all good changes. But, they don't have a lot extra energy really. They are definitely healthier over-all than they were on Beneful and on Iams, and appearance wise they have changed a lot, they look noticeably healthier and happier, but their activity levels have stayed about the same. We do walk our dogs quite a bit though, so maybe we just don't notice that they have more energy because they are burning all of that extra energy everyday? Our dogs get 1.5-3 hours worth of walks a day, normally. If I remember correctly, you said you own a Lab, right? I have owned a Chocolate Lab and a Black Lab, and they both had about the same amount of energy our 3 APBTs do, if not more! lol! I know every dog is different, even dogs of the same breed, but I would think as long as your dog is getting the proper amount of daily exercise, the extra protein wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Default Feed what is right for your dog

From what I understand Canidae is a great dog food, however, even the most reputable dog food raters agree that not every food is right for every dog. Try a small bag or sample of the Canidae and look for signs of compatibility with your dog's system and nutritional needs.
As also noted, take a look at those foods given 6 or 5 stars on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble, since a lot of people seem to trust their ratings system. My dogs are currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (a Diamond product) dry and canned, Purina Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice (dry) and Wellness (canned) because THAT IS WHAT WORKS FOR THEM. I've tried some of the 'better' foods and the result, contrary to what some other people have experienced, is always not only MORE poop, but MORE runny, mushy poop. And gas, lots of gas. With their current diet, they are not shedding as much as previously, their coats are beautiful and even my fussy Sibe is happy to get her meals.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
From what I understand Canidae is a great dog food, however, even the most reputable dog food raters agree that not every food is right for every dog. Try a small bag or sample of the Canidae and look for signs of compatibility with your dog's system and nutritional needs.
As also noted, take a look at those foods given 6 or 5 stars on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble, since a lot of people seem to trust their ratings system. My dogs are currently eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (a Diamond product) dry and canned, Purina Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice (dry) and Wellness (canned) because THAT IS WHAT WORKS FOR THEM. I've tried some of the 'better' foods and the result, contrary to what some other people have experienced, is always not only MORE poop, but MORE runny, mushy poop. And gas, lots of gas. With their current diet, they are not shedding as much as previously, their coats are beautiful and even my fussy Sibe is happy to get her meals.
Great advice! I have posted several times before. I don't know how they came up with their rating system. Canidae didn't work for my dog. Neither does EVO. EVO claims to be similar to raw diet. It is NOT. Unless we visited their production facility, we won't know what is going on. More meat doesn't mean better. Corn is not all bad. Everything in the right amount is for the right dog. This would be my last post about dog food.

Last edited by LingLing; 03-20-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,782 times
Default Canidae all life stages

Canidae all life stage food is a great food. Some other Natural Dog foods to look into are: Fromm, Eagle Pack Holistic, Merrick, Orijen and Evangers.
When a product says meat meal, that could be anything including road kill.
Make sure your food has a specific meat listed for the meal. Beniful puts sugar in the food and dogs get addicted to it, Dogs do not need sugar or salt. Dog food companies also use BHT and BHA as a perservative but they are carcenogenics and are banned from use in human food so if it is in your dog food don't buy it. Dogfoodanalysis.com is a great site but remember the foods that are a 6 star are Grain free food. Grain is not bad as long as it is a whole grain, barley, oatmeal, brown and white rice, tapioca. Corn is not easy for dogs to digest and could be a allergen to some dogs along with wheat and soy. Corn has no nutritional value, it is a filler. Cellouse is in plain terms sawdust. You just have to be educated when buying good nutritional dog food.

I have a cat that had pancreitius and the vet put her one Hills Science Diet perscription I/D, she still got sick but not as often. When I researched the food I took her off the Persrciption Sciene Diet and put her on Solid Gold KatznFlocken a Natural food and she has been free from pancreitius for over 2 years and she is 16 years old so it is not something that she out grew. Always check your food. It is better to pay more for your food and in turn you are spending less at the vet. Only Holistic vets really know about food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs