Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM

122 posts, read 306,347 times

Advertisements

I've had my 7 year old border collie on a prong collar since she was 12 weeks old. It was recommended to me by a trainer because she was pulling aggressively on walks. From day one when I put it on, she's always been a good dog and has never pulled enough to cause the collar to tighten up.

This morning, I had her out for her morning bio-break. She wandered into a bank of snow, and while trying to get her to hurry up (it was -15 here this morning!), I had a little bit of tension on the leash. Then, I stepped backwards onto some black ice and slipped, yanking the collar tight. I got an ear piercing YELP! then she immediately sat on her tail and has given me the most pathetic look I've ever seen. I've never seen her look like this. I carried her back inside (yes, she's a big baby), and gave her a good look over. She's moving around OK and seems to be fine. But I just keep going back to the noise and the look.... I'm really worried I may have hurt her. How can I be sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
She will get over it if you don't make a fuss about it.

I would guess that you startled her more than anything. She isn't accustomed to being jerked around.

The prong collars aren't as bad as they look. Because there are many prongs evenly spaced, that spreads out the pressure and prevents any single prong from going in too deep.

It's like, there is no problem laying on a bed of nails, but you could not play on one nail point. The many points spreads the pressure out over a large area.

Go on like nothing has happened and don't make a fuss or you might cause behavior problems. Border collies can be very quick to figure out how to manipulate a situation; don't give her ammunition.

Her neck might be slightly sore if she received a really hard jerk. It won't last long. Be a bit more careful in the future and if your walks involve ice, consider invest in a pair of ***-tracks for yourself. (that is y a k sometimes the censor won't allow me to use the word)

Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
If she has been wearing the prong collar for close to 7 years, isn't she trained yet? Prong collars are for training, not for use for the life of the dog. Your trainer should have made that clear. Have you tried walking her with a regular collar instead? Her pulling days should be over by now.

Prong Collar Training | How To Use A Prong Collar Safely

Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM

122 posts, read 306,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Go on like nothing has happened and don't make a fuss or you might cause behavior problems. Border collies can be very quick to figure out how to manipulate a situation; don't give her ammunition.
Thanks, this is most likely what is happening. She has me wrapped around her little finger... err paw.

She's the most important thing in my life. I couldn't bear the thought of causing her pain.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Border collies can be very quick to figure out how to manipulate a situation; don't give her ammunition.
I'm just realizing this myself after 5 1/2 years with my border collie. He's SUCH a momma's boy

Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
I've had my 7 year old border collie on a prong collar since she was 12 weeks old. It was recommended to me by a trainer because she was pulling aggressively on walks. From day one when I put it on, she's always been a good dog and has never pulled enough to cause the collar to tighten up.

This morning, I had her out for her morning bio-break. She wandered into a bank of snow, and while trying to get her to hurry up (it was -15 here this morning!), I had a little bit of tension on the leash. Then, I stepped backwards onto some black ice and slipped, yanking the collar tight. I got an ear piercing YELP! then she immediately sat on her tail and has given me the most pathetic look I've ever seen. I've never seen her look like this. I carried her back inside (yes, she's a big baby), and gave her a good look over. She's moving around OK and seems to be fine. But I just keep going back to the noise and the look.... I'm really worried I may have hurt her. How can I be sure?
"Prong collar"? You shouldn't be allowed to have a pet.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
"Prong collar"? You shouldn't be allowed to have a pet.
Whoa.....the only way I can lead our hounds is with a prong collar.....and then they STILL pull me.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
Wow it's hard to believe there are still "trainers" recommending prong collars for 12 week old puppies. When I worked in a veterinary hospital we did see some horrific neck wounds from prong collars. Sometimes these injuries were a result of owner abuse i.e. the common "training" practices of hanging the dog and/or strong "leash corrections". Other times the injuries were caused by total accidents like the one described in the OP (and of course the insane practice of using a prong collar with a retractable leash).

OP, when an accident like that happens, you have to apologize and move on. Acting weird all day certainly won't help the dog. Keep in mind that sometimes when a dog has a startling or unpleasant experience, they associate that negative event with whatever they were doing at the time. So for example your dog might now associate snowbanks with pain and may experience stress around snow banks after what happened today. This is less likely because of her age and wealth of previous experiences. Nevertheless, make sure your next several walks are extra positive and pleasant for her.

If you are interested in trying another much safer piece of no-pull equipment I highly recommend front hook harnesses. This is my favorite model: Softouch Concepts, Inc - SENSE-ation® Harness When the leash connects to the front of the dog's body, pulling is dramatically reduced. Rear hook harnesses and any type of neck collar create what is called Oppositional Reflex. Front hook harnesses remove that dynamic.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
theres nothing wrong with a prong collar IF its used correctly, it is a TOOL just like a chain, flat leather, harness, crate ect...

OP I wouldn't worry too much prongs LOOK scarier than they are, and the fact that it was a prong rather than a chain probably helped save injury, prongs are considered a "limited slip" like a martingale, meaning they are designed to pinch not choke, they'll only tighten enough to pinch rather than continually tightening the more pressure is applied.

you probably did hurt her when you fell, (but you would have hurt her putting any kind of pull that fast and hard on ANY collar...but as long as shes not having any neck swelling or issues breathing or swallowing it probably fightend her more than injured her.

had that been a chain it would be a different matter completely...
and even standard flat collars can do trachea damage with a good swift tug like that (accidental or otherwise)
the fact that it was a prong is incidental...

if you decide you wat to try working with a flat collar that's YOUR choice, and id suggest starting with a martingale...but theres NOTHING wrong with CORRECTLY using a prong...assuming your not yanking her around or tugging it quickly (the idea with a prong is the dog corrects itself, if it pulls theres a slow gentle tension which pinches and the dog stops pulling to release the tension all the human SHOULD be doing is standing there/walking...

I used to freek out about prongs....then I tried one (ON ME!) its not comfortable, but its not painfull and if used correctly, they work wonders.

I DO however agree with k9coach that id NEVER recommend one for a puppy!!! something like that is realy not nessicary for such a young dog...
for an older LARGE powerful dog whos already learnt to pull however they can be wonderful tools, AGAIN IF USED CORRECTLY!
(most are also not fitted right either.)

harnesses are great as long as you don't NEED your dog to pull...
(ie my dobe is trained to "Pull" when I grab her harness, to help me stand up after a dizzy spell ect, so using a harness to walk her would only be confusing)

Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Wow it's hard to believe there are still "trainers" recommending prong collars for 12 week old puppies. When I worked in a veterinary hospital we did see some horrific neck wounds from prong collars. Sometimes these injuries were a result of owner abuse i.e. the common "training" practices of hanging the dog and/or strong "leash corrections". Other times the injuries were caused by total accidents like the one described in the OP (and of course the insane practice of using a prong collar with a retractable leash).

OP, when an accident like that happens, you have to apologize and move on. Acting weird all day certainly won't help the dog. Keep in mind that sometimes when a dog has a startling or unpleasant experience, they associate that negetive event with whatever they were doing at the time. So for example your dog might now associate snowbanks with pain and may experience stress around snow banks after what happened today. This is less likely because of her age and wealth of previous experiences. Nevertheless, make sure your next several walks are extra positive and pleasant for her.

If you are interested in trying another much safer piece of no-pull equipment I highly recommend front hook harnesses. This is my favorite model: Softouch Concepts, Inc - SENSE-ation® Harness When the leash connects to the front of the dog's body, pulling is dramatically reduced. Rear hook harnesses and any type of neck collar create what is called Oppositional Reflex. Front hook harnesses remove that dynamic.
That harness would not even slow our hounds down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs