Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,315,965 times

Advertisements

My dog was sick with something - probably stomach problems. She hid behind the bed on the floor, was not barking at sounds, and was not eating her regular food. (Normal temperature.)

So I nursed her with the "full treatment". Gave her cut up chicken breast served to her in her sick bed, brought her a bowl of water every so often so she would not need to get up. Served her yogurt, etc. Gave her a pillow and covered her with a blanket...

Well the next day she was fully recovered. Was barking at noises again, eating her regular food, and was being as active as normal... So I go in the bedroom and notice her slinking back into her sick bed area - with periodic glances at me. Then I offer my other dog a treat on the bed and the "sick" dog jumps up on the bed with a quickness! (Then remembers she is sick and goes back down to her sick bed area.)

Anyway I removed the pillow and blanket and fed the dogs in their normal areas. After awhile she decided she was no longer sick after all and joined the rest of us for dinner!

She was just trying to get more of that feeding in bed and special chicken dinner - the big faker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,187,517 times
That's funny! My dog can be manipulative, too. She often tries to guilt trip me with tragic expressions if I don't give her "enough" treats or let her lick every single bowl, plate, or utensil I have used throughout the day!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:05 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
She most likely still sick. She was feeling better acting normal but over did now feels like crap again. They think it their duty to protect & serve even on their death beds. I keep doing what you been doing for awhile til she 100%

Old 01-26-2014, 08:37 PM

857 posts, read 2,220,500 times
your dog isn't faking it, she is still sick, dogs try to hide pain or any weakness, a throw pack to being in the wild. Where the weak were easy prey.
She is just trying to please you and she wants to interact.

Have you had any blood work done or taken her to a Vet.
As much as we think our dogs are children, they are not.

I hope she sully recovers soon.
Good Luck.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
I think she's still sick too. Just because she had a bit of energy doesn't mean that it didn't wear her out.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,315,965 times
She is totally back to normal. If I took her to the vet, there wouldn't be anything I could tell him she is doing/not doing which is not normal.

But I'm keeping my eye on her - watching her poop (normal) and so forth...

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,106,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
My dog was sick with something - probably stomach problems. She hid behind the bed on the floor, was not barking at sounds, and was not eating her regular food. (Normal temperature.)

So I nursed her with the "full treatment". Gave her cut up chicken breast served to her in her sick bed, brought her a bowl of water every so often so she would not need to get up. Served her yogurt, etc. Gave her a pillow and covered her with a blanket...

Well the next day she was fully recovered. Was barking at noises again, eating her regular food, and was being as active as normal... So I go in the bedroom and notice her slinking back into her sick bed area - with periodic glances at me. Then I offer my other dog a treat on the bed and the "sick" dog jumps up on the bed with a quickness! (Then remembers she is sick and goes back down to her sick bed area.)

Anyway I removed the pillow and blanket and fed the dogs in their normal areas. After awhile she decided she was no longer sick after all and joined the rest of us for dinner!

She was just trying to get more of that feeding in bed and special chicken dinner - the big faker!
So cute!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,106,724 times
My sis had a horse that had leg surgery, recovered completely, but found out limping caused my sister to get off and quit riding. Sometimes the limp had to become more and more severe until she was almost falling down.......as she ran happily back into the pasture, minus the limp, a wave of her tail and a snickering whinny......, Animals are not dumb.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM

24 posts, read 129,815 times
That IS funny. Dogs have a way of getting what they want and they will repeat a behavior that gets what it desired. Anything a dog does that brings the desired consequence, they learn quickly to do it again. We use this in dog training all the time, when dog does something we want, they get a treat.
Sounds like your dog is using that training, getting special treatment in the sickbed area feels good and gets the special attention. So smart! Glad she is well and hope your pack stays that way.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,376,113 times
Our old dog would play diva all the time... amazing how fast she would snap out of it when necessary...

Just like with a human when we are recuperating, sometimes you feel great, then all of sudden not so great and you have to lie down. She will recuperate little by little.
just keep an eye on the temperature to catch any possible infections before they spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs