Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,528 times

Advertisements

Find a good reasonable boarding kennel and go on vacation! Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder.....$50 x 6= $300. Now it might seem like a ton, but it won't when you are out to dinner, seeing a show, lying on the beach and not having to worry about the pooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
I know years ago when I thought about visiting Disneyworld and bringing my one dog, Disney at that time had kennels for you to drop off your dog. Not sure if they still have them or not and I have no clue what they cost. Just a thought to check into if they offer it out there.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I hear you...and don't really have any advice. We haven't been on a pet free vacation for more than 12 years. I won't board them and DH won't go for a house/pet sitter. And we're ok with that. We made a commitment to them and will honor that.
In your experience, how are the pet friendly hotel accommodations? Did you feel they were in any way inferior to the non pet friendly rooms?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
In your experience, how are the pet friendly hotel accommodations? Did you feel they were in any way inferior to the non pet friendly rooms?
We've been happy with every place we've stayed with pets. La Quinta, some Hampton Inns, even a Holiday Express. Not all Hampton Inns and Holiday Express Inns take pets. I've heard Red Roof Inns take pets but we've never stayed with them.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,585 times
If you'd like to look for a petsitter, DogVacay.com may have some providers in your area.

Is your dog crate-trained? If yes, you could take a portable crate with you to the hotel(s). Some pet-friendly hotels allow you to leave the dog if it's crated (that way staff can get in there if they need to without being attacked.) You could then go out to dinner without the dog. Personally, I could not leave my dog in there ALL day, but I might be able to do it for an hour or so. Whenever we take our pups and stay in hotels, though (usually for agility trials, or visiting family... these situations are the primary reason we crate-train) we always take our pups where ever we go and never leave them in the room.

DisneyWorld does have kennels, but they are for day stays only, AND, you have to return to take your pup out for potty breaks.

We've always socialized our pups through classes, competitions, road trips, doggie daycare, dog parks, etc. The doggie daycare(s) we use know our pups, and also provide boarding. So we have no issue leaving our pups there when we travel. Also, some of the employees do dog-sitting on the side so we could always call on them if the boarding is full.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
If you'd like to look for a petsitter, DogVacay.com may have some providers in your area.

Is your dog crate-trained? If yes, you could take a portable crate with you to the hotel(s). Some pet-friendly hotels allow you to leave the dog if it's crated (that way staff can get in there if they need to without being attacked.) You could then go out to dinner without the dog. Personally, I could not leave my dog in there ALL day, but I might be able to do it for an hour or so. Whenever we take our pups and stay in hotels, though (usually for agility trials, or visiting family... these situations are the primary reason we crate-train) we always take our pups where ever we go and never leave them in the room.

DisneyWorld does have kennels, but they are for day stays only, AND, you have to return to take your pup out for potty breaks.

We've always socialized our pups through classes, competitions, road trips, doggie daycare, dog parks, etc. The doggie daycare(s) we use know our pups, and also provide boarding. So we have no issue leaving our pups there when we travel. Also, some of the employees do dog-sitting on the side so we could always call on them if the boarding is full.
Unfortunately we did not crate train my pup. We tried to, but it was a difficult task and since someone, at the time, was always home with her, we figured that there wasn't a point in doing this. Although I can see the obvious benefits to crates.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Keep looking for a pet sitter! Do any of your friends or relatives have responsible children? Several years ago, I paid a youngster $5/day to come in once a day, feed my kitty, scoop her litter, and rearrange the living room blinds.

It will probably cost more than that since you have a dog that needs to be walked, but I'll bet you can find something more budget-friendly.

I don't think people should be leaving their pets all the time, but in your case, it's one of those rare deals, and it sounds like it would be a lot easier on everyone if doggie stays home.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Keep looking for a pet sitter! Do any of your friends or relatives have responsible children? Several years ago, I paid a youngster $5/day to come in once a day, feed my kitty, scoop her litter, and rearrange the living room blinds.

It will probably cost more than that since you have a dog that needs to be walked, but I'll bet you can find something more budget-friendly.

I don't think people should be leaving their pets all the time, but in your case, it's one of those rare deals, and it sounds like it would be a lot easier on everyone if doggie stays home.
Well, problem is, we moved quite far from all of our friends (cheaper housing) and I don't want to burden them to drive out this far. But I did talk to my mom and I warned her that Sasha needs a lot of time and attention. She said she is down to help. I want to bring her with, but fiance says no.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I board my gang at my vet's kennel. It's not that fancy but I have all seniors and feel better knowing they are near their medical care and the caretakers know and love them. I can't have a petsitter because I adopt dogs with different issues, and I feel better having them "institutionally" cared for. Yes, it's expensive, but I'd rather board them a few weeks a year than not have them at all in order to take vacations. I figure they're better off boarded than homeless in life.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,407 times
Default The Joshua Tree area is a great place for a pet-friendly vacation

Joshua Tree is a very pet-friendly place to vacation. I've stayed at a wonderful spot called the Thunderbird Lodge Retreat ... a very cool vacation rental place up by the park (great views/stargazing, off the beaten path, rustic homesteader cabins). During the day, I've boarded my dog at Joshua Tree Pet Resort, which is run by a really nice family (the owner was a vet tech before opening the place and the husband is an active vet). They charge me $30 for a big dog. Smaller dogs might be $25 per day. There are also several restaurants in the area which allow socialized dogs in the patio areas (Natural Sisters Cafe, Pie for the People). Not too far away, in Desert Hot Springs, there's also a Dog Spa Resort with a doggie pool.

You can also take your dog into the national park (though there are some restrictions on where dogs can go inside the park). There are also tons of other trails and places to walk your dog. I drove my dog way way out there in the middle of nowhere, where there were no people or cars, and let him run off leash for a bit. He loved it ... chased rabbits, was soooooo happy!

About an hour away, in Big Bear, you can let your dog go into the lake! I've done that a few times, but kept him on leash ... he's wayyyyy too interested in the ducks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs