Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times

Advertisements

Would you try this? Wish they had it for men.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...ype=blogs&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,769,034 times
I can't get to the article. However, I did hear about this last night. We agree that it sounds great for rescues and animal shelters.

However, I have a lot of friends in the Dog Show world. They are scared. Scared that if this gets into the hands of the wrong person (people) so much damage can be done. Sometimes when showing or competing with dogs, you might be handling one dog while others wait in crates. Say someone gets their hands on some of these sterilization pills and decides they want to destroy your breeding program... Or an angry "animal-loving organization" decides to target a large dog show? This could be devastating!

Does the article address the availablity, and to which people?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:56 AM

107 posts, read 152,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
Say someone gets their hands on some of these sterilization pills and decides they want to destroy your breeding program... Or an angry "animal-loving organization" decides to target a large dog show? This could be devastating!
I was able to access the article and it states that this procedure comes in the form of an injection not a pill...and "...is injected directly into a dog’s testicles..."

Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM

537 posts, read 1,769,034 times
Thanks ldydrgnfly!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 AM

107 posts, read 152,256 times
No problem, LakesideAnnie...even though it can't be administered as easily as giving a pill, it still makes me wonder how we would know for sure if a pup has been sterilized in this manner. What happens if a dog gets rehomed a couple of times (or more) and has this procedure multiple times? Truth be told, I have only ever had female dogs so far, so I have never dealt with neutering a male...but when I had my male cat neutered surgically, there was an obvious difference between the "before" and "after".

Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,770,444 times
The thought has been that the dog would be be

1) microchipped at the same time with perhaps a letter like " Z " as either the first or last digit with the understanding among all that would indicate the procedure has been done

2) tattooed in the genital area with the same letter

Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,727 times
This type of sterilization removes the production of semen but does nothing to decrease testosterone. So a male dog will still go after the girls, still roam and still try to be the big man on campus if that's the kind of guy he is. If all you are trying to do is remove the production of pups, perfect. It doesn't solve any of the temperament issues that often causes a dog to end up in the shelter.

LakesideAnnie - that is a very good point. There are A LOT of AR people out there who would have no qualms of injecting someones dog without their knowledge. People who show dogs are often targets for this kind of thing.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
I think this is great for rescue operations of mixed breed dogs, a simple microchip could confirm and something that could be done with a lot of areas, my first thought would be the Indian Reservation dogs, often times surgical procedures are out of the question but this could lead to a good alternative.

I would also be concerned for the purebred group and possibility of dogs being rendered sterile through accident or not accident.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM

74 posts, read 170,822 times
The downside is this drug has been linked to necrosis and even death in some dogs. I wouldn't touch this without further study and/or it being release long term with no reports of problems. While new drugs seem to be exactly what is needed it may cause more problems than benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs