Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times

Advertisements

This is a first for me, but I am willing to give it a try.

Poor Wyatt McRiot is an air fern. He weighs about 45 pounds and his serving of food is 1 1/2 times what the 6 pound Papillon gets, and Wyatt is getting fat. With the pudge growing on his rib cage, the dog needs to have his calories cut, yet again.

I spotted a gallon can of green beans for $3.50 and thought "what the heck". I am cutting back Wyatt's meat serving and adding a big spoon of green beans to his supper dish.

The green beans are a great hit. He inhales them. Of course, he will eat anything that can't outrun him, so I suppose it isn't a surprise that he will eat green beans.

I've never had a dog with a weight problem. I watch their weight and keep their food down to the level that will maintain proper weight, but darn. Wyatt gets about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of food in the morning and the same again at night. I know it is enough. His coat glows, he is hard muscled from all the high speed running he does, his teeth are pearly and tend to grin because life is good. But I am feeling guilty about the tiny little smear of food that he gets.

No, there is no place where he can be sneaking something extra. He's just a really easy keeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
I always gave Artie fresh (frozen) green beans with his meals. I never measured them -- I just gave him a small handful. (He weighed 38 pounds.) I suspect the ones in the can have a lot of sodium, no?

Btw, you give Wyatt 1 and a 1/2 Tablespoons of food? You mean cups, right?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 02-25-2014 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I would have him checked for Thyroid problems!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

189 posts, read 327,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The green beans are a great hit. He inhales them. Of course, he will eat anything that can't outrun him, so I suppose it isn't a surprise that he will eat green beans.
This is hysterical!

As Katie said, it could be a thyroid issue. I just figured my old boy was just "getting old", turns out he had a low thyroid and his energy levels immediately improved and he lost weight. (At 13 years old)

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
I can't even cook frozen beans without both dogs running to get one, they here me opening the bag. Frozen peas they like even more. It is good for them but they still do need protein from some dog food.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times
Our lab had a weight problem and our vet told us to give him green beans as a filler. We bought the no-salt kind and he LOVED them. But he really loved almost any kind of veggie. Broccoli was his favorite. We usually chopped the stem end up for him, but if he got a floret, he'd get this "Really??" look on his face and take it outside to eat it in private, as if we'd given him a big meaty bone. Hilarious.
Long way to tell you to try your dog on other veg too. They're great fillers.
He'd lay on the floor next to me as I chopped and he'd get the end bits of cauliflower, bell peppers, carrots, etc.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,457 times
My French Bulldog has lost 5 lbs on the green bean diet. I buy Del Monte No Salt, give them a quick rinse and a rough chop. I started measuring his food in order to determine the exact calories he was getting...then eliminated 1/4 cup. That's the amount of green beans I top his kibble with. Our goal is 4/5 more lbs. of weight loss.

Here's the caloric calculator I use but there are many others out there as well.

Metabolic Energy Requirements For Dogs

I have five dogs and like previous posters said..mine love all veggies and fruits too. Frozen peas are a favorite...frozen green beans too. I also make a sweet potato/carrot/apple mash for them...they all get just a dollop on their dinner meal.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is a first for me, but I am willing to give it a try.

Poor Wyatt McRiot is an air fern. He weighs about 45 pounds and his serving of food is 1 1/2 times what the 6 pound Papillon gets, and Wyatt is getting fat. With the pudge growing on his rib cage, the dog needs to have his calories cut, yet again.

I spotted a gallon can of green beans for $3.50 and thought "what the heck". I am cutting back Wyatt's meat serving and adding a big spoon of green beans to his supper dish.

I've never had a dog with a weight problem. I watch their weight and keep their food down to the level that will maintain proper weight, but darn. Wyatt gets about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of food in the morning and the same again at night. I know it is enough. His coat glows, he is hard muscled from all the high speed running he does, his teeth are pearly and tend to grin because life is good. But I am feeling guilty about the tiny little smear of food that he gets.

No, there is no place where he can be sneaking something extra. He's just a really easy keeper.

Our Walter loves green beans, applesauce, cottage cheese, broccolli, cauliflower, cooked carrots, potatoes, artichoke, squash and various other fruits and vegetables.

Sounds like Wyatt has a good life, good home and tons of love.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Btw, you give Wyatt 1 and a 1/2 Tablespoons of food? You mean cups, right?
No, I mean Tablespoons. That is a Papillon size serving of food. It is about an ounce of meat, plus a very tiny little but of whatever carb I've used in that batch of dog food. This batch is pork, barley, yam, and broccoli, with the majority of it being meat.

There is no way this dog has a thyroid issue. He will run full speed for over an hour and still be popping out of his skin with energy, dashing around the house, in and out the dog door to supervise the bunnies in the driveway, and jumping over anything he can find to jump. His coat is thick and it glows. The dog has no thyroid symptoms of any sort.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
the question goes out is he actually chunky or is he just a BIG Papillion, we had one come into the clinic 23lbs his owner was sure he was fat, and at first so did the vet because he was super thick and super fluffy, then summer came and he rolled in some yuck and she had him shaved...under all the fluff was a very nicely built (all be it huge for the breed, but definatly NOT overweight) 23lb Papillion...he was just a big boy, (his mother was oversized at 11.5lbs lean breed usually ranges up to 10, daddy was 8lbs, so he didn't come form big parents either, and nothing oversized in the pedigree, but it turns out his grandmothers brother was a very big guy for a pap too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs